Fairyofwind - please help fellow asian

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: October 2003 Archive: Fairyofwind - please help fellow asian
By Dumbgirl (Dumbgirl) on Saturday, October 18, 2003 - 08:15 pm: Edit

hey! ok well today i just messed up majorly on my psats and now im pretty bummed. well my problem is that i got an 80 V on the practice test that they handed out, and i always get like 730+V at home under timed conditions, but once i take the SAT and PSAT for real i mess up big time. (like 5 wrong for verbal this time)

and you seem like the smartest person on this board right now. do you have any tips for how you study?

ie:

1) for math alegbra, do you plug in numbers (for x and y and such, like a clock problem today) or do you use variables? i was taught by the princeton review to plug in (for ie the 94/49 one), but you wrote an equation...my dad tells me plugging in is useless....what do you think?

2) in review books, i understand all the stuff they are teaching ie teh def of factors, multiples, how many degrees in a triangle, prime numbers...but on the real test its much harder. and you people seem to use nCr or nPr or something like that. i want to learn it, but i dont know where.... :(

3) i guess most of my mistakes come from not reading carefully; how do you read each problem carefully in the limited time?

oh yea, and its opera not classics because its asthetics??? arg...i totally skipped over that word.

right now im in the 1380 range prob, but i know i can do better, maybe 1500s even if i read them carefully. can you pleaseeeeeeeeee help???

By Jm405 (Jm405) on Saturday, October 18, 2003 - 08:20 pm: Edit

i'm no fairyofwind but a minus 5 on verbal for the psats is around a 700-720, no too shabby unless you're relying on your verbal score

By Afterburner (Afterburner) on Saturday, October 18, 2003 - 08:31 pm: Edit

Hehe, you think fairyofwind is the smartest?

i've been here just a couple days and i've read his/her posts......you're not that smart, fairy. You just pretend to be.

Now, don't get me wrong. You probably are an intelligent person off the forums. But from what I've seen ON the forums, you are a poser.

By Afterburner (Afterburner) on Saturday, October 18, 2003 - 08:33 pm: Edit

Btw, this is what I do:

I write equations. HOWEVER, I feel confident enough with my algebra. It is faster, but you should only do it if you are completely confident.

Forget nCr and nPr. They're combinations and permutations and you DON'T need them. The one on the PSAT didn't require them. All you needed to do was multiply.

I can't help you with that, I read quickly. Just don't worry about spending time on the question.

Hope this helps.

By Dumbgirl (Dumbgirl) on Saturday, October 18, 2003 - 08:38 pm: Edit

yea i sorta am relying on my verbal score since math was a travesty. :/

but thanks for the advice. i just cant wait to get this sat over with - ive been studying since 6th grade!!!! its so frustrating, and i always get jealous of my friends who do better. pretty sad eh?

well fairy and xiggi are really smart - fairy got like -2 wrong total, and xiggi we know. :)

also, when taking practice tests- 3 hours at a time, or section by section?

---
plus i live in nj so the cut off is like 227....ill be lukcy to get commended

By Afterburner (Afterburner) on Saturday, October 18, 2003 - 08:39 pm: Edit

It doesn't really matter...I do them section by section because I don't have much time.

I live in NJ too...I feel your pain...:)

-2 wrong total?! He's a loser...:)

I got -1 total on SAT and ended up with 1600.

By Dumbgirl (Dumbgirl) on Saturday, October 18, 2003 - 08:40 pm: Edit

oh afterburner....you got a 1600 and youre only 14 in 11th grade? is that true?

if so, please divulge any tips for studying...i think ive hit a vocab peak where i only dont know about 2 words total, so i dont think studying vocab is going to help. :( that means i cant study for verbal...i dunno

By Pookdogg (Pookdogg) on Saturday, October 18, 2003 - 08:44 pm: Edit

Afterburner:

I'm not Fairy, but I still take offense at your calling him a poser. Just because you're jealous because he gets more respect than you does not give you the right to say that he's stupider than people say he is.

When someone has a tricky math question, who usually gives the down and dirty answer? Fairy. Tell me Afterburner, if he was a poser, how would he be able to answer any of these questions?

By your own statement, you've only been here a few days. So I suggest you keep your mouth shut until you get your bearings.

As for Dumbgirl (if you can get a 1380 then you're not dumb, btw), I think that some mental reassurement may do you wonders. You know you're capable of stellar scores, and you can't be intimidated on the day of the real test. When I took the SAT I, I wasn't scared or nervous: I was confident, and even eager to beat the College Board at its own game. If your mind is relaxed, there's no limit to what you can do. Good luck!

By Dumbgirl (Dumbgirl) on Saturday, October 18, 2003 - 08:53 pm: Edit

alright! thanks pookdogg; ive heard the psychological challenge is a major part in acing the test. the night before i keep on convincing myself its only 7th grade math, but on the test i get all flustered. :/

yea i do disagree a little bit with afterburner; anyone that gets -2 is not a poser. he is usually very helpful, although he was a little brusque at the end of the psat post. i would if i only got 2 wrong.

1380s pretty bad if youve been studying for 5 years + ordered extra sats + used all 10 reals + spent 1500 on a princeton review course + friends do better when they dont even study

By Afterburner (Afterburner) on Saturday, October 18, 2003 - 08:53 pm: Edit

LOLOLOLOL

You think I'm jealous.

Thank you for making me laugh for the day.

Fairy has been wrong. I've just seen him get a PSAT question wrong. When I asked for the number of people who got a 1600 each year, he lambasted me for "boasting" and proceeded to say that it was easy stuff with 1st grade math. (I wonder what he got)

After that incident, I'm never "trusting" him. Why should I? Just because he spends more time on this board than I do??

By Dumbgirl (Dumbgirl) on Saturday, October 18, 2003 - 08:57 pm: Edit

its ok - the point of this board is to help other people with less fortunate (far less) mental abilities get even a 1400+. you guys are both extremely smart. your parents must sleep in peace. :)

go old school asian parents :) ; i feel bad for mine, since ill never get that 1500+ they so desperatly want. but i just want to improve - thats all!

By Afterburner (Afterburner) on Saturday, October 18, 2003 - 09:01 pm: Edit

My parents sleeping in peace?

Ha, they're still pushing me as hard as possible.

By Afterburner (Afterburner) on Saturday, October 18, 2003 - 09:12 pm: Edit

Dumbgirl said: " oh afterburner....you got a 1600 and youre only 14 in 11th grade? is that true? "

Just noticed it.

Yes, it is true. I wouldn't lie in my profile...I know too many kids in my school who do and I DESPISE them.

By Billiam2 (Billiam2) on Saturday, October 18, 2003 - 09:27 pm: Edit

227 for NJ? that's wrong. MA has the highest, and it's about 222. Lucky to be commended? You need about a 200 (+/-) a point, to be commended. It's based on the national percentiles; not your state's.

And i dont think people care what anyone thinks about them over the internet. Or at least they shouldnt.

By Jason817 (Jason817) on Saturday, October 18, 2003 - 09:33 pm: Edit

Since when was -5 verbal "messing up big time"? That's a damn good score.

By Afterburner (Afterburner) on Saturday, October 18, 2003 - 09:36 pm: Edit

The next SAT math question:

"Studied for 5 years + ordered extra sats + used all 10 reals + spent 1500 on a princeton review course + friends do better when they don't even study." equals which of the following?

A) Envy
B) Tremendous pissed-offness
C) Insolvency (no money)
D) Lots of wasted time
E) All of the above.

ETS's answer is E. But we won't explain why right now. The important thing is using Joe Bloggs.

HAHAHA

By Fairyofwind (Fairyofwind) on Saturday, October 18, 2003 - 09:36 pm: Edit

Afterburner: come back when you get perfects on all your SAT IIs and make the USAMO 10th grade. And then call me a poser. I hate to be hypocritical and "boast," (I really don't mean to boast), but I am not a "poser." I devote much of my time to helping people on this forum. You devote much of your time to bragging and attacking others. :) When I make a mistake I admit it; when you make a mistake you insist you are correct. I don't know what to say!

By Afterburner (Afterburner) on Saturday, October 18, 2003 - 09:38 pm: Edit

I'm not bragging. I'm not attacking you. I'm trying to make good with you even though I'm not a big fan of you. And you come back and attack me.

Notice: I think you most likely ARE intelligent off the forums. I was revising my opinion of you until that last post.

And where did I "insist" I was right? On the focus/attach? I don't think I was wrong anyway. I held true to my belief that attach was right.

By Afterburner (Afterburner) on Saturday, October 18, 2003 - 09:40 pm: Edit

Let's see whether or not we can stop squabbling.

I won't talk bad about you.

You won't talk bad about me.

We respect each other.

Ok?

By Fairyofwind (Fairyofwind) on Saturday, October 18, 2003 - 09:42 pm: Edit

Cause we all know that your opinion of me is very important, being an online troll and a total stranger. Well anyway, you won't see me around much more. I am pretty much done with my standardized tests. I have helped myself greatly through helping others. So my time is done here, much to your ecstasy I'm sure. This will be my last post here. Bye everyone!

By Afterburner (Afterburner) on Saturday, October 18, 2003 - 09:44 pm: Edit

As an online "troll", I certainly am "ecstatic" that you are gone.

I really don't care about your opinion. I offered to stop, you refused.

By Dumbgirl (Dumbgirl) on Saturday, October 18, 2003 - 09:50 pm: Edit

oh well thats a relief for commended. no i was positive that nj was at least above 224.

almost postive though! i hope its lower for my sake (oh yea, i prob got much more than 5 wrong for V, and math i dont even want to get started)

fairy - youre a big help; dont let afterburner get to you.

By Billiam2 (Billiam2) on Saturday, October 18, 2003 - 10:04 pm: Edit

dumbgirl: and Im pretty sure that it's not 224... Massachusetts definitely has the highest cutoff, which is at around 222. But i am not sure how much lower NJ's is... it probablly isnt very much.

By Pookdogg (Pookdogg) on Saturday, October 18, 2003 - 10:24 pm: Edit

Good job Afterburner, now you just pissed him off. Now if people need help on math and such, he won't be around. Hope you're happy. Now go take your 1600 and scram. We don't need your kind of pomposity in this board.

By Perry2006 (Perry2006) on Saturday, October 18, 2003 - 10:29 pm: Edit

YEAH. Fairy is really helpful to us. *CRIES* and *TEARS* for fairy!

By Neo (Neo) on Saturday, October 18, 2003 - 10:34 pm: Edit

Interesting thread. When I first read it about two hours ago, there was only one reply. Now there's around a dozen.

By Billiam2 (Billiam2) on Saturday, October 18, 2003 - 11:55 pm: Edit

are you guys serious?

a) i dont know how long hes been on, but hes been on at least as long as i have. its not exactly easy to walk away... he'll still be here.

b) we're the only friends he has. just kidding.

c) you guys should have some faith in yourselves. Now that one person leaves, you think nobody in the whole board can do math?

By Jaisen (Jaisen) on Sunday, October 19, 2003 - 12:09 am: Edit

lol...dudes...fighting for the first place marked "nerd"...

By Pookdogg (Pookdogg) on Sunday, October 19, 2003 - 12:20 am: Edit

It's not Fairy's departure that I'm angry about: it's Afterburner's disparaging comments towards him. The guy has no grounds to make such comments: he just feels he does because he got a big bad 1600. Hey, I got a 1590, and I can still acknowledge the other smart people on this board. It's obvious to me that Afterburner is full of himself, and the lack of attention on this board has gotten to him. Serene got her 1600 and she didn't go around questioning the intelligence of the others around her. Afterburner needs to grow up.

By Pookdogg (Pookdogg) on Sunday, October 19, 2003 - 12:20 am: Edit

duplicate post

By Billiam2 (Billiam2) on Sunday, October 19, 2003 - 12:36 am: Edit

i disagree with what you said about serene.

By Ihatesats (Ihatesats) on Sunday, October 19, 2003 - 01:34 am: Edit

Fairy, I missed the USAMO cutoff last year by one problem I believe. Like you, I had failed to advance on the AMC-10 freshman year, but did not do any extensive studying in between that and last year's contest. What was the exact index you got?

By Bluebaron1616 (Bluebaron1616) on Sunday, October 19, 2003 - 10:48 am: Edit

Hey guys, stop flaming. It is gay.

No offense but it sort of shows that neither of you are...um....mature.

NJ cutoff is NOT, I repeat NOT 227.
Last year it was 220. That is still pretty high mainly because of all the immigrants and rich people who force their kids to study like heck for the SATs.

I live in a dumb state, PA, where the cutoff is near 213.

I think I got 72-75V 80M 73-75W so that is about 225-230. (unless the machine messes up on some of my erasure marks which might screw me over and give me a 69v and 69w) Which I guarantee will be enough to get me at least qualify for the whatever it is called.

Hell, if they count my gray erasure marks I'm gonna be SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO unbelievably pissed!

By Crnchycereal (Crnchycereal) on Sunday, October 19, 2003 - 10:53 am: Edit

NJ's cutoff for commended status is well below 215. Its semi-finalist cutoff has got to be lower than 222, because my friend and I both made semi-finalist status (he got a 222, I got a 224).

By Afterburner (Afterburner) on Sunday, October 19, 2003 - 11:19 am: Edit

This is going to be my last post in this topic, so flame me all you want here.
------
My disparaging comments?

Read through the entire thread.

First, do you really think I pissed Fairy away from the boards? Whether or not I argued with him would be irrelevant to whether or not he would leave.

Second, do you really think no one else can replace him? You think he's impressive because he knows the law of cosines, which every 14-year-old boy in China knows. (by the way, that last comment is an insult to me as well as you, so don't start screaming about it) Read your post, pokkdogg. "Now if people need help on math and such, he won't be around." SO WHAT? He's not the only math whiz around, you know.

Third, "it's obvious that Afterburner is full of himself". Really. How? I never said anything about myself. I told Fairy that from what I've seen on this board, he does not look all he's cracked up to be.

Fourth, I do acknowledge the other smart people on this forum. Jaisen, Ihatesats, etc. That doesn't mean I have to acknowledge what YOU think the smart people are.

Fifth, the reason I never really liked Fairy was his first post towards me. I asked how many people usually got 1600 each year. He lambasted me for "boasting" and told everyone that it was easy; that it was 1st grade math; that anyone could do it. I felt insulted: just because he didn't get 1600 gave him no grounds to tell me that anyone could do it. I invested a lot of time into it for him to belittle my accomplishment?

Sixth (yeah I know this post is long), you have to realize that my 1600 has nothing to do with any of this. If I got a 1000 I would still say the same things about Fairy. My 1600 only gives you guys a magnet for attack.

I'd say more but I need breakfast.

By Billiam2 (Billiam2) on Sunday, October 19, 2003 - 11:36 am: Edit

ihatesat's: as a sophomore you only needed an 8 i believe on the AIME (maybe 7, but i think it's 8). What did you get? The AMC score didnt count for underclassmen. As long as you had an 8, you were in. But now that you're an upperclassman, it's much harder... now you need to get ~220 index.

By Altsuperhero (Altsuperhero) on Sunday, October 19, 2003 - 08:32 pm: Edit

just to tell you guys, I got a real kick out of reading this thread ...

By Jaisen (Jaisen) on Sunday, October 19, 2003 - 08:41 pm: Edit

guys, realize that we are all elites in our schools...why fight? there's always someone better than you...

By Wickedpriest (Wickedpriest) on Sunday, October 19, 2003 - 09:41 pm: Edit

Geez, people, take a look in the mirror, drink some tea, have a nice long nap and calm down...please...

By Metra (Metra) on Sunday, October 19, 2003 - 09:53 pm: Edit

"NJ's cutoff for commended status is well below 215. Its semi-finalist cutoff has got to be lower than 222, because my friend and I both made semi-finalist status (he got a 222, I got a 224)."

So finalist is higher than 224..?

By Billiam2 (Billiam2) on Sunday, October 19, 2003 - 09:55 pm: Edit

no. it's lower. as i said, the highest in the country is MA with 222.

By Mk1o3o (Mk1o3o) on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 12:06 am: Edit

thanks for the help you brought to CC, fairy. it was much appreciated especially when it came to math. :)

feel free to come back whenever you're aching to solve another math problem that a desperate teenager is stressing over.

By Ihatesats (Ihatesats) on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 01:12 am: Edit

Quote:
ihatesat's: as a sophomore you only needed an 8 i believe on the AIME (maybe 7, but i think it's 8). What did you get? The AMC score didnt count for underclassmen. As long as you had an 8, you were in. But now that you're an upperclassman, it's much harder... now you need to get ~220 index.

Thanks Billiam. I'm certain that last year's cutoff was 8 for 9-10 and 226 overall for 11-12, which were both awfully high (2001 = 6/213 I believe). Last year I managed a 7 with a 184.5 overall. You've made the olympiad, have you not? I know it's going to be hard, but Fairy has shown that it can be done. I will try my best. :)

By Ihatesats (Ihatesats) on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 01:14 am: Edit

Quote:
Fifth, the reason I never really liked Fairy was his first post towards me. I asked how many people usually got 1600 each year. He lambasted me for "boasting" and told everyone that it was easy; that it was 1st grade math; that anyone could do it. I felt insulted: just because he didn't get 1600 gave him no grounds to tell me that anyone could do it. I invested a lot of time into it for him to belittle my accomplishment?

I found it very insulting also. As smart as one may be, he will earn no respect with an arrogant attitude.

By Pookdogg (Pookdogg) on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 01:50 am: Edit

Ihatesats:
The argument has long reached the point of diminishing returns. Drop it.

An excellent idea. --Admin

By Afterburner (Afterburner) on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 07:04 pm: Edit

Heh...point of diminishing returns...good one, though Laffer's curve isn't very accurate anyway.

Please don't take this as a sign to start flaming again.

By Andy7733 (Andy7733) on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 10:25 pm: Edit

NJ cutoff this year was 221. the school just gave me their entire packet, including statistics and stuff on the number of people that scored what.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page