Seeking advice.

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: October 2003 Archive: Seeking advice.
By Joel_Set (Joel_Set) on Saturday, October 18, 2003 - 05:40 am: Edit

I've been taking AP Euro, AP English/Lang, and AP Chemistry so far, and it's been very difficult.

Here is my situation...

AP chem- I get tutored like 4-5 hrs every weekend for this class, and yet I manage to fail all my tests. I took a test this week, and I got a 23/38 on Gases (Chapter 5 of Zhumdal). For any of you that got a 4-5 on the actual exam, could you give me tips on how to succeed in both the class and exam?

AP lang- I've posted quite a few times about this class. It's still been very difficult. When I analyze, I fail to get the main point of the passage (for instance, when we are doing tones, I say the passage is cynical when it's really cheerful). Is there any way to prepare for this test? What books do you gusy recommend? How could I improve my writing skills (such as citing quotes)?

AP Euro- Truthfully, I don't try in this class. I've taken AP Us and got a five on it, and with that knowledge, I survive through the class. I am having a hard time with getting motivated because European history is so much more boring compared to US history. The names are like 5 times harder to memorize, and my teacher is plain out sh1tty. He starts discussions about stupid details such as "what imports and exports came from the new world, old world, etc". So what should I do? Should I start reading the convulted and extremely dull text? Read REA's AP European History?

Also the PSATs are comming up, and I think that's the main reason for my sluggishness in all my classes. Unforutnately, I've only done like maybe 2 hrs worth of PSAT studying. I still suck at the writing section and my verbal seems to be the usual. Also my math is pretty crummy. I actually wanted to go for the NMSQT but I feel like such goal is unreachable. I got two days left for this test... again any suggestions?

Once again I feel the world is collapsing on me. Any comments would be appericiated.

By Joel_Set (Joel_Set) on Sunday, October 19, 2003 - 02:47 am: Edit

bump~

By Zephyrmaster (Zephyrmaster) on Sunday, October 19, 2003 - 02:55 am: Edit

(for instance, when we are doing tones, I say the passage is cynical when it's really cheerful)

How?

By Jason817 (Jason817) on Sunday, October 19, 2003 - 03:35 am: Edit

Chem - We used Zumdahl and I failed pretty much every test. The class was just insanely hard and his tests were harder than that of the AP's. I managed a 4.

By Joel_Set (Joel_Set) on Sunday, October 19, 2003 - 06:06 am: Edit

like zephyrmaster said jason.. "how?"

I dunno Zephyr... i just have the tendency to select the wrong tone etc... like is there any tips on grasping what the exact right tone ......

By Zephyrmaster (Zephyrmaster) on Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 10:36 pm: Edit

Hmmm... tips?

Read more books. You shouldn't make such a large mistake (obviously, you may be exagerating).

Not everything comes easy to all people.

By Psatsurvivor1 (Psatsurvivor1) on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 12:39 am: Edit

sounds like you can't handle these classes. have u considered switching to a lower level? i mean, what's the point of flunking the class, even if you manage to do well on the ap test?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page