Relax or study the night before taking the PSAT?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: October 2003 Archive: Relax or study the night before taking the PSAT?
By Silmon77 (Silmon77) on Thursday, October 16, 2003 - 12:55 am: Edit

My PR class instructer warned me against taking a ton of practice SATs leading up to the test, as i will get burned out. She also said to relax and not study the night before the PSAT. Is that true? I have taken 3 SATs in two days, and i am still going strong(scored 1480-1490 twice). I personally enjoy taking them. However, im not sure if i should follow her advice about relaxing the night before. Should i take a practice PSAT that day, or just go to a movie and not think about it? Will i get burned out the day of the test if i continue doing this? Any advice would be welcome.

By Mk1o3o (Mk1o3o) on Thursday, October 16, 2003 - 01:06 am: Edit

"I have taken 3 SATs in two days...I personally enjoy taking them." hmm..

I took the october SAT. I took just one SAT the day before test day. Then on the morning of test day, I did one verbal section. That helped my confidence a little bit.

By Xiggi (Xiggi) on Thursday, October 16, 2003 - 01:27 am: Edit

Silmon77~

Taking as many practice tests CANNOT hurt you. The more practice you get, the better you will become. Of course, you need to spend time making sure you understand all your answers. You do NOT need to take all your sections under test conditions. It is OK to work 1,2 or 3 sections at a time. However, I do very little in the 24 hours before the test. At most, I would do ONE practice and only if you happen to have a day off school. I would MOST definitely try to relax the night before.

Lastly, do not forget that there will a third section on the PSAT test.

Mk1o3o~

I believe that you post may be construed as you took ONLY ONE test and that it was the night before the test. I thought you worked through the 10RS as well as some of the disclosed SAT tests. Oh well, it could be my mistake :)

By Mk1o3o (Mk1o3o) on Thursday, October 16, 2003 - 12:43 pm: Edit

i see what you mean. ill admit that i went through 8 (other 2 were used last may) of the SATs in 10RS, as well as 6 self-ordered tests over a 5-week period. Also I didn't have school the Friday before the October SAT so I was lucky enough to take a practice test about 20 hours before the test. ill post up my full experiences when i get my scores back. thanks for pointing that out, Xiggi.

By Dadx (Dadx) on Thursday, October 16, 2003 - 02:30 pm: Edit

A well-known golf instructor whose son is now one of the top PGA pros was explaining how to pick the right club for a particular shot.

On the subject of which club to hit, he said his teacher had advised him to "choose the club that puts your mind at ease".

I would translate that to choose the activity that puts YOUR mind at ease. More tests is fine if you're happy. Rest is fine if you want that. I think the instructors sometimes are afraid of overstressing students.

By Beenthereil (Beenthereil) on Thursday, October 16, 2003 - 02:51 pm: Edit

Dadx...Good advice.

I can't imagine my sons studying for the ACT, SAT and PSAT exams all week...and, they didn't.

They both talk about how they want their minds to be CLEAR when they walk into the testing room (s).

Both say that their friends/girlfriends and social relationships do that for them.

By Sunshine916 (Sunshine916) on Thursday, October 16, 2003 - 04:15 pm: Edit

oddly last year the day before my PSAT, our school had a strange "power outage day" where the power was out all morning but turned back on exactly 10 minutes after school would have started. they cancelled it anyways :)

i spent that day going out to lunch, going to the mall, going out to dinner, and watching a movie. that night, i worked through a writing section of the practice test CollegeBoard gives u in that little packet, took a shower, and went to bed.

i got a 70V/80M/73W.

the day before the Oct 11th SAT, i took 2 practice tests in a row scoring in the 1500's on one and a 1600 on another.

Oct 11 came and went and i can assure you i didnt do nearly as well.

i say relax. but do what u wish.

By Billiam2 (Billiam2) on Friday, October 17, 2003 - 06:59 pm: Edit

can i ask how you're 16 and a senior?

By Fairyofwind (Fairyofwind) on Friday, October 17, 2003 - 07:30 pm: Edit

Study. Can't hurt. More practice. The night before I've always studied the most hardcore.

By Billiam2 (Billiam2) on Friday, October 17, 2003 - 08:55 pm: Edit

haha. i dont have to take it til tuesday.

By Billiam2 (Billiam2) on Friday, October 17, 2003 - 08:55 pm: Edit

s

By Sunshine916 (Sunshine916) on Saturday, October 18, 2003 - 11:35 am: Edit

haha i did that profile sometime in August. i started senior year at 16 but i turned 17 about a month ago. i should probably change that. but nah im a senior and 17~

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page