Math Team Questions

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: October 2003 Archive: Math Team Questions
By Crypto86 (Crypto86) on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 07:43 pm: Edit

I was intivted to be on my school's math team (which is awesome because you have to be invited). Anyways, I did fairly well on the practice exam over the weekend (5 right out of 12, sticking to time and calculator usage standards) considering a lot of them are hard.

Anyways, one that my friend and I worked on together (note - one cannot work together on this - if you guys figure it out, I will not put it on my answer sheet - that is unethical) for 25 minutes and we couldn't get it - and this is a guy who's in the Columbia SHP - so you know he's really smart. Here it is:

x^2 = x-1 ; find the numerical value of x^6

Now what we did (after 20 minutes of trying things) was do the simplest thing, which was move everything over to one side and have it equal 0:

x^2 - x + 1 = 0

But we couldn't get any farther. Another note: We are in a honors pre-calc course and we have gotten as far as variations of graphs of the trig functions so far (With trig identities and whatnot). Calculus is not required for this. Any suggestions on how to do it? Thanks.

By Nutmag345 (Nutmag345) on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 08:04 pm: Edit

I misread the question...so ignore the crap I had written down.

By Special_Foreign (Special_Foreign) on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 08:13 pm: Edit

ok lol. i was about to say that you should have done this in algebra 1 or earlier and if you're in calculus this should not be a problem.

By Testtaker (Testtaker) on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 08:15 pm: Edit

why don't you use the quadratic formula. I am probably missing something beause I don't see the difficulty in this question- the answer is imagionary.

[-1 +- i*srt(3)]/2

By Crypto86 (Crypto86) on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 09:30 pm: Edit

Yeah - I was going to use the quad. formula but I thought you needed numerical values for a, b, and c. I haven't done anything with that since may in 2001 (9th grade) cause all last year was geometry - so I am a lot rusty in my algebra 2 stuff.

By Jimjunior (Jimjunior) on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 10:17 pm: Edit

the answer is -1

Just use the quadratic formula and cube the resulting imaginary number

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page