Why it could be Guilt and not Regret

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: October 2003 Archive: Why it could be Guilt and not Regret
By Matlm (Matlm) on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 02:47 pm: Edit

Less than 10 percent of students taking the SATs get the hardest (number 5) questions right.

About 90 percent of the people here are saying regret, and 10 percent are saying that it is guilt?

I am not taking either side, because i am not sure. However, I think we can all agree on the facts and use logic to come to a conclusion.

If it is accepted that The Guilt/Regret Question is a number 5

and If it is accepted that roughly 90% of the people here are saying Regret, and Only 10% are saying guilt

Then it can be concluded that by statistics alone that Guilt is the right answer.

HOWEVER, this deduction is invalid if and only if

1. The guilt/regret question is not a #5

or 2. The majority of people posting here are those who usually get the #5 questions right, and in that case the answer is probably regret.

I didn't put much time in this arguement, and I am sure that there are some holes in it, but overall i think I made a relatively good point.

If anyone finds a hole in my arguement than please correct it.

By Jason817 (Jason817) on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 02:53 pm: Edit

how about who cares? It's just one question.

By Adr531 (Adr531) on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 02:56 pm: Edit

the critical reading are in no particular order of difficulty unlike the other parts of the test. infact it was pretty straight forward too i dont know what the fuss is about...

By Ajhayes (Ajhayes) on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 03:02 pm: Edit

The people here ARE the high scorers and do not reflect the majority of students taking the test.

By Matlm (Matlm) on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 03:07 pm: Edit

okay, well than with that excepted the answer is probably regret. In the pursuit of truth i would be curious if the people arguing over this would post their verbal scores that they have recieved on previous tests including recent practice tests and if possible the number of critical reading they get wrong on average. Of course this is asking people to swallow their pride. If it turns out that the people who went with guilt tend to get more critical reading wrong, than we can safely assume the answer is regret.

By Testtaker (Testtaker) on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 03:16 pm: Edit

I vote for regret- usually get 1/2 critical reading questions wrong

By Justice (Justice) on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 03:19 pm: Edit

On practice tests I've never gotten more than 4 wrong total and never under 780. Even assuming I got the guilt/regret one wrong, I should still have an 800.

I think it is guilt because I put myself inside the mind of an SAT verbal testwriter, and I gambled that since the question specifically cited lines to which the testtaker was supposed to refer, I assumed that I was supposed to consider the emotions shown in that line in a vacuum. Disregarding the rest of the passage, it is clear that guilt is explicitly shown through language, while regret is a recurring theme throughout the passage.

Don't get me wrong. I don't think anyone believes that the passage is about the guy's guilt; regret makes a lot more sense if the question asked to summarize the emotional state of the writer as he writes the passage. However, given the question.....guilt is better.

By Matlm (Matlm) on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 03:32 pm: Edit

So far guilt is looking more favorable

By Culovv (Culovv) on Tuesday, October 14, 2003 - 12:01 am: Edit

Vindication. Nature is inevitable and can not be regretted since the person does nothing voluntery to age. Guilt? "It wasnt their fault, it was mine" shows both guilt and vindication. I went with my gut feeling and put vindication.

By Mz_Sterious_510 (Mz_Sterious_510) on Tuesday, October 14, 2003 - 01:16 am: Edit

I have gotten 800 on recent practice tests and I say the answer was regret.

By Smartmika (Smartmika) on Tuesday, October 14, 2003 - 01:20 am: Edit

It was clearly regret. The people on this website are generally brilliant students thus the statistics would be off.

Michael

By Saccharine (Saccharine) on Tuesday, October 14, 2003 - 05:36 am: Edit

The point is that no matter what the right choice will turn out to be, there still will be people who will be 100% sure their apparently wrong answer was the most suitable one. IMO, none of the answers is really much better. The reason I put 'regret" for is the impression that he doesn't feel guilty that he has changed coz it was inevitable and he can only regret it has happened. But that was too much subjective for a SAT question.

By Centimetre (Centimetre) on Tuesday, October 14, 2003 - 08:22 am: Edit

I'm completely certain that the answer choice was "regret", but I've asked around at school, and it seems like most people chose "guilt", because of the line where he says it's his fault.

So, Matim, based on your hypothesis that it was a level 5 question, since most people I've asked say the answer is "guilt", "regret" is more likely to be the right answer.

Of course, I disagree that the problem was a level 5, since, like Adr531 said, it was pretty straightfoward.

By Thedad (Thedad) on Tuesday, October 14, 2003 - 12:47 pm: Edit

Cuvlov, how do you figure "it was my fault, not theirs?" equates with "vindication"? "Vindication" means "it turns out I was right." It simply doesn't fit. I at least see the argument for "guilt;" "vindication" is nonsense in the context.

And why do you persist in thinking that "regret" must be associated with something voluntary?

You can feel either "regret" or "guilt" about something over which you have no control though "guilt" is far more associated with something over which you *do* have control.

By Student9 (Student9) on Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 12:12 am: Edit

Thedad:

You have not even read the passage or the lines of reference. Your opinion is not a valid one.

Are you seriously a father?

What do your kid(s) think about you spending time on this forum? I would be so embarassed. What business would a parent have on this forum anyway?

The answer was guilt, you people are thinking too hard and trying to justify wrong answers. Guilt is THE PERFECT WORD.

Instead of proving regret correct with talking about inevitability of age, which is irrelevent, why don't you regret'ers prove that guilt is wrong?

Use examples that were within those reference lines.

Let's see some of you BS your way out of this one.

By Takingiteasy (Takingiteasy) on Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 12:32 am: Edit

Okay this question is annoying me not cause i have a problem whether or not it is guilt or regret but what the question was. What were the other answer choices? If you guys could help me remeber that would be nice.

By Thedad (Thedad) on Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 12:50 am: Edit

Student9, if you looked around, you would notice at least a dozen parents hang out on this forum, both gathering information and helping a number of students. The debate on this question has been pretty thorough and clear enough for me to render a judgment.

By Obiwan (Obiwan) on Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 01:47 am: Edit

Student9 is banned. He would have been just warned to dial back the attitude but he was already on probation for the thread about attempting to cheat on the SAT. A slow learner.

--Moderator Obiwan

By Jason817 (Jason817) on Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 01:50 am: Edit

ouch

By Wjk323 (Wjk323) on Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 08:17 am: Edit

i have a feeling that obiwan *IS* thedad...

but what do i know...(dont ban me!!)

By Mk1o3o (Mk1o3o) on Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 12:53 pm: Edit

i think I learned my lesson to avoid those kind of discussions. am i on probation too?

By Smartmika (Smartmika) on Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 01:15 pm: Edit

Thank god--Student9 was quite irritating. And that father crack was inappropriate. I only wonder if he'll come back with a different name?

Michael

By Obiwan (Obiwan) on Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 01:16 pm: Edit

Mk1o3o, no you are not on probation. I explicitly warned Student9 because he was one of the two ringleaders. In fact, he was initially banned but pleaded stupidity and asked to stay, so I relented.

But you're correct, in general, that discussions about cheating are a good thing to stay away from. Cheating can and will happen but CC isn't going to be part of it. Think about it from the board operator's point of view: would you want CC cited in an article in NEWSWEEK or whatever, citing CC as an example of how students are using the Internet to cheat? It's one thing that we will come down very hard on, along with posting links to competing sites.

Wjk323, I hope that TheDad is as amused as I am.

--Moderator Obiwan

By Escaria (Escaria) on Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 10:57 pm: Edit

"[he] pleaded stupidity"

rofl- well.. what can i say?

---
anyways - back to this

did anyone get the Q/A service for this? if so, can they post it?

<-- Canadian , so i had to pay the int'l fee
bah! i'm like what 10 mins away from the border? :P

By Escaria (Escaria) on Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 11:00 pm: Edit

"[he] pleaded stupidity"

rofl- well.. what can i say?

---
anyways - back to this

did anyone get the Q/A service for this? if so, can they post it?

<-- Canadian , so i had to pay the int'l fee
bah! i'm like what 10 mins away from the border? :P

By Kushm (Kushm) on Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 11:04 pm: Edit

if i had to bet money on one of them, id put my money on regret. of course id only bet a dollar... actually probably less

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page