AP Chemistry

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: October 2003 Archive: AP Chemistry
By Cutie911 (Cutie911) on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 09:01 am: Edit

hey everyone;
I've heard that colleges want you to take AP Chem, Bio, and Physics B. I'm already going to take AP Bio, but the problem w/ me is that I really, really, really, HATE chemistry even though I pulled an A in the honors course. In my school before you take the AP science class, they make you take the honors version. If I take AP Physics B, everyone's saying I'm going to fail because I don't have any backgroung knowledge. What class should I take AP Chem or Physics, or should I try and take all 3 in high school?
thanks,
cutie

By Gneugen (Gneugen) on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 11:59 am: Edit

I'm in AP Chem right now, and it really isn't tough. Our curriculum involves 22 labs spread into the year, so spans of coursework and memorization of data are always separated by a lab or two. For AP Physics B I'm pretty sure you'd want to be in a corresponding math class like AP Calc. Go talk to the teacher about the curriculum of AP-Physics B to find out if you'd be really behind. I'd say though, if you don't know what kinematics is, you'd have a pretty shortened time to learn what all the others learned in a pre-ap class.

By Cutie911 (Cutie911) on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 01:05 pm: Edit

thanks, but is it true that colleges want you to take AP Bio, Physics, and Chemistry? I want to get in a combined or accelerated program and would taking all these help my chances?

By Cutie911 (Cutie911) on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 08:16 pm: Edit

bump

By Studiousvegetar (Studiousvegetar) on Tuesday, October 14, 2003 - 06:00 pm: Edit

I think by taking all AP sciences you will have a good background and you will have to opportunity to "get used to" college style teaching. You'll also show that you are intersted in a good college prep curriculum. I took AP bio last year and got a five, and I'm in AP chem right now. Good luck. What do you want to study?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page