October 11th Analogies and Sentance Completion

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: October 2003 Archive: October 11th Analogies and Sentance Completion
By Matlm (Matlm) on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 12:38 am: Edit

Which Analogies and Sentance Completions did you find most difficult, or would be most difficult for most students. What did you answer for them and why?

By Ajhayes (Ajhayes) on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 01:27 am: Edit

There was one sentence competion, like the professor "spiced" up a lecture or something? Does anyone remember the answer to that?

By Matlm (Matlm) on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 01:04 pm: Edit

Anyone else?

By Volleygenius (Volleygenius) on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 01:21 pm: Edit

one analogy i didnt know was comparing neophtyte to beginner. i put quack to doctor for my choice but i dont know if this is right

By Thedad (Thedad) on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 02:14 pm: Edit

No, that one was rumormonger:gossip.

A neophyte *is* a beginner; a quack *is not* a doctor.

By Nakattacks31 (Nakattacks31) on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 03:46 pm: Edit

was it subsequent or intermittent
i think it was subsequent

and for another one the choices were scrutiny and cynical
anyone remeber

By Nutmag345 (Nutmag345) on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 03:49 pm: Edit

I think the answers to those two were intermittent (100% sure) and scrutiny (don't remember the question, but I think I put scrutiny for an answer somewhere).

By Nakattacks31 (Nakattacks31) on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 04:20 pm: Edit

why intermittent

it said the authors success was ___ as opposed to agtah who enjoed more lifelong fame

sunsequent means immediately following time.
intermittent means starting and stopping

it was confusing question

By Nutmag345 (Nutmag345) on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 04:27 pm: Edit

I agree that intermittent was not a perfect choice, but it is by far the best choice. The sentence was contrasting Agatha's eternal fame to other authors' short lived fame. Now intermittent implies that an author is famous for a short while, and then unpopular and this cycle continues. Subsequent means following in time, as you aptly put it, but it does not contrast Agatha's long term fame in any way. Infact, if you plug subsequent into that sentence, you can clearly see for yourself that it doesn't "sound" right. HTH

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page