Question About SAT and College Admission

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: October 2003 Archive: Question About SAT and College Admission
By Cheezeit08 (Cheezeit08) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 09:26 pm: Edit

Does anyone know if taking the SAT only once can have a negative effect on the college admission decision when my score from my first testing is in the lowest 25% range for that college (1200s)? If I put that I plan to retake in December (after early decision deadline, even early decision notification for that matter, which is Dec. 1), can they admit me contingent upon my performance on the SAT retake? Is it smart to put the date I plan to retake the test, or should I just leave that blank on the application? Please, any advice would be appreciated.

By Uniqueid (Uniqueid) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 11:11 pm: Edit

I would definitely tell them you're retaking - they'll usually wait on a decision until they see the score. You might be bumped from one round to the next, though, if your score comes in after the deadline. See how close you'd be on the dates and rush the scores if you need to.

By Cheezeit08 (Cheezeit08) on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 10:45 am: Edit

BUMP

By Cheezeit08 (Cheezeit08) on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 10:48 am: Edit

Uniqueid, then wouldn't it be smarter to just leave it blank since saying I am retaking will maybe cause me to be deferred? I'm so confused, Please someone help!

By Cheezeit08 (Cheezeit08) on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 10:49 am: Edit

I should add that I have a strong academic background, so I don't think having SAT scores in the 25-50% range can seriously hurt me since my rank is pretty high. But I'm still unsure, somebody please help!

By Jason817 (Jason817) on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 10:55 am: Edit

just write on the application "retaking in Decemeber 2003". They don't care. According to my counselor.

By Andrew123s (Andrew123s) on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 10:57 am: Edit

You should decide whether you think you can get into the college with your SAT score as it is Early Decision or whether to wait and apply Regular Decision when the scores come in. If you take the Dec SAT, you won't even be able to send the scores for 2 weeks after that, and then it takes a few days for the College Board to get around to sending it (if you rush it, 3 weeks otherwise), and then it takes time to get to the colleges and time for them to process it. If you put that you are retaking it, they might defer you if they don't like your first score.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page