# OFFICIAL SAT I REASONING TEST DISCUSSION TOPIC - (Part 2)

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: October 2003 Archive: # OFFICIAL SAT I REASONING TEST DISCUSSION TOPIC - (Part 2)
By Jason817 (Jason817) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 12:27 pm: Edit

800 posts is just insane. Continue here.

By Doofus (Doofus) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 12:39 pm: Edit

YES THANK YOU JASON!! hopefully this will catchon

By Doofus (Doofus) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 12:43 pm: Edit

Yalie it was 25%...

A circle is divided into 3 sections, x, y, z. If y=2x and z=y/2, z is what percent of the circle?

By Yalie08 (Yalie08) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 12:46 pm: Edit

about that average problem... were the two vaules the same, C

By Yalie08 (Yalie08) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 12:48 pm: Edit

Also, does anybody remember what the question was for the grid-in question whose answer was .75? A lot of peeps are talking about it.

By Doofus (Doofus) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 12:52 pm: Edit

yep it was .75 the amount of fat in one serving was 4 and 2.5 of it was saturated. It asked how much fat was not saturated in ONE cookie. And the serving size was 2. so its (4-2.5)/2.

By Yalie08 (Yalie08) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 12:53 pm: Edit

ah yes.
He, about that one in which theaverage and arithmetic means were the same...the answer was x=11, right?

By Doofus (Doofus) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 12:55 pm: Edit

yep

By Jongleur (Jongleur) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 12:57 pm: Edit

Does anyone remember a question asking for the area between two 270 degree arcs? I'm hoping that was in my experimental section. For those of you with 3 math sections, do you remember the problems on the 30 minute multiple choice section.

By Yalie08 (Yalie08) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 12:58 pm: Edit

There was one, grid-in maybe, where two parallel lines were intersected by a couple lines perpend. to each other.I assumed theat the triangles made were 30-60-90, did 180-60 and 180-30, added 'em up and got 270... was that right?

By Jason817 (Jason817) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 01:19 pm: Edit

yes it was 270

By Nakattacks31 (Nakattacks31) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 01:47 pm: Edit

the verbal question choice between intermittent and subsequent was subsequent

the sentence talked about how the other authors success was immediately following her writing whereas Agatha had lifelong success

intermittent means starting and then stopping and then staring up again...the authors success wasnt like that..it was just immediately after the book was published

agatha's success was more lasting..hope that helps

By Skolerbe (Skolerbe) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 01:48 pm: Edit

what was the answer/other choices for the analogy

neophyte:beginner

By Doofus (Doofus) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 02:27 pm: Edit

Naka i'm pretty sure you're wrong and it was intermittent

By Quidproquo (Quidproquo) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 02:28 pm: Edit

Yeah, it definitely wasn't subsequent.

By Nutmag345 (Nutmag345) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 02:29 pm: Edit

Does anyone know what the first question of the crow story was? Or any of the other questions from that passage? This passage is not getting as much attention as the others and I want to make sure that I did not miss any.

By Smartmika (Smartmika) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 02:32 pm: Edit

What are you talking about?! This verbal was one of the EASIER ones I've seen on SAT tests!

I think it's hilarious because so many of you are so completely obsessed with getting near-perfect scores--and you can do that in math because all you need to do is become used to the format of the SAT. However, the verbal section actually requires you to think and apply logic. You can memorize all the vocabulary lists you want but if you can't understand the subtle nuances of the english language, then you're screwed.

The SAT is no longer an aptitude test; anyone who's compulsive enough to "study all summer long" can do disgustingly well. "I got three math questions wrong--I'm cancelling!!" The SAT should be devised so that people are unable to prepare for it; if you can afford to take a 600 prep course, you'll do much better than someone who can only afford a book.

You'll get your scores in two weeks--stop being so anal!

Michael

By Jason817 (Jason817) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 02:34 pm: Edit

this verbal wasnt that easy. analogies ans sen comps were too hard

By Cooljay687 (Cooljay687) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 02:39 pm: Edit

anyone want to shed light on the 2<x<3 thing? some are sqaure radical 8<x<radical 18?

I put 3.. is it right?

By Doofus (Doofus) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 02:42 pm: Edit

check my profile picture. This is the correct solution

By Bsarnold (Bsarnold) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 04:58 pm: Edit

dude, for one of the answers, was it 7x or 13x?, and does anyone even remember how the problem went?

By Jason817 (Jason817) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 05:04 pm: Edit

7x

I dont remember the problem except I know it was the 2nd to last question on a section

By Gneugen (Gneugen) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 05:27 pm: Edit

Doofus, stop spreading lies ;) That right angle sign wasn't there @ all. The answer is root(8)<x<root(18). a safe range of values is 3<x<4 , 3 and 4 both working.

By Bsarnold (Bsarnold) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 05:51 pm: Edit

4 works?????????? omg please tell me it does

By Virgo007 (Virgo007) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 06:00 pm: Edit

anyone want to shed light on the 2<x<3 thing? some are sqaure radical 8<x<radical 18?

I put 3.. is it right?

Doofus, stop spreading lies ;) That right angle sign wasn't there @ all. The answer is root(8)<x<root(18). a safe range of values is 3<x<4 , 3 and 4 both working.

That is incorrect. It has to between 2 and 3!

By Whatever17 (Whatever17) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 06:00 pm: Edit

what was the prob that yalie was talkin about, the one with average and median being the same??
and how do you go about solving that? i was completely lost and just took a guess. I got it wrong if u say it was 11..:(

By Escaria (Escaria) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 07:00 pm: Edit

ooh.. please please please be 2<x<3

i put 2.5

argh - ran outta time for that section and didn't check answers :( (crosses fingers and hopes for the best)
spent too much time on the y+x q (parallel/perpendicular lines)

lol in the end i just gave up and guessed 270 cuz it looked right (there we basically like what? 3 choices? 180,270 -360)
-so hoping you guys are right ;)

By Student9 (Student9) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 07:17 pm: Edit

What about that problem about game time,

was it something like: 1/4 of the game 60 min, has been played, what is the percentage of playing time left?

.25(60)= 15
60-15=45
45/60 = 75% ???

I can't remember the question or what I did.

What about the problem with the areas of a strange figure with x, y, and z.

was it 50% ???

Does anyone remember anything about these problems?

By Doofus (Doofus) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 07:33 pm: Edit

well you missed those 2. :-/

first one:
x+(1/4)x=60
1.25x=60
x=48
48/60=80%

A circle is divided in 3 regions, x, y, z. If y=2x and z=y/2, what percent of the circle is z?

y=2x z=2x/2=x

x, 2x, x

x/4x

1/4=25%

By Capo (Capo) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 07:41 pm: Edit

Couple questions
did anyone get lotta A's and B's for the sentence completions for last part of the test? like section 6?

what do you think the curve for math and verbal will be this time?

what does ur raw score have to be for a 650+ for verbal? 750+ for math?

By Kings18 (Kings18) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 08:03 pm: Edit

Hey, I have a few questions for both the verbal and math?

MATH:
1.) what did you ppl put for the question about the 60 min game, it think it was asking what percent was completed of the game? please tell me it is 25%.
2.) for the section where it has 10 questions total, what was number 2?(the ratio mixtures)
3.) same section #7, could it be that 1,2,and 3 can be concluded. (II lines problem)

Verbal:
1.) the theather passage: what was the difference between the two passage? i put the last choice, where passage 1 describes an early childhood, and passage 2 desceibles how it changed over time.did anyone got that ans.

PLEASE tell me what you think on these questions. thanks

By Virgo007 (Virgo007) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 10:55 pm: Edit

1) Definitely NOT 25%. I know for a fact it was 80%.

2) Uh...Milk?

3) NO WAY. It was (A) NONE.

By Cutie314 (Cutie314) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 11:47 pm: Edit

omg..someone else put 4 for 25....even if it's wrong ...at least someone else thought like i did

By Cutie314 (Cutie314) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 11:49 pm: Edit

oh and i put the same thing for the theater question

By Wizzz (Wizzz) on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 12:05 am: Edit

A couple math questions and a verbal

For an early math it was the 20 minute rate compared to the hourly rate if both were one area, and i got the ratio was 1:2

The second problem in the math section had a square that had an area 256 or something and it said it was split into a certain amount of sections and it asked for the arithmentic mean of each section, i dont remember the amounts but i put 27, this one made me confused for a second

Another math question there were two triangles, and in one of the triangles was a right triangle and the two other angles were labed and B and i believe it asked what A+B was and i put 90

Then there was an anlogy that seems to have some debate, it was knee:joint and 1 person said knucke:fist another kidney:organ and there was also elbow: arm as a possibility (that might not be the ortder of the pairs of words but i think those were the words)

By Xdebugger (Xdebugger) on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 12:11 am: Edit

the following is what i put
1) the ratio of the rate is 1:2
2) mean area is 32
3) i dont think i got this one
4) knee:joint::kidney:organ

By Wizzz (Wizzz) on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 12:54 am: Edit

i dont remember the quantities for #2 so i cant figure it out but i thought it gave a number for the total area, and a number for the number that it will be divided by, and i just divided those 2 numbers and i thought i got 27

for 3 - how can this not be right? If one angle is 90 dont the other 2 angles in the triangle have to add up to 90 to make 180 or did i read what the question was asking wrong?

And whats the bridge for the analogy

By Sprite04 (Sprite04) on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 01:22 am: Edit

KINGS AND VIRGO, DID YOU GUYS GET A MATH EXPERIMENTAL SECTION, I AM WONDERING THAT 80% answer QUESTION IS FROM THE EXPERIMENTAL?

By Lvlike86 (Lvlike86) on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 01:29 am: Edit

i feel sorry for those that had the math as the experimental.. very hard to tell during the test..

for me, i got verbal as the experimental section and it was so obvious that once i saw the weird reading comprehension section, i just rested my brain during that whole bull**** section.

By Wizzz (Wizzz) on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 01:43 am: Edit

same here, i had 2 5 sentence paragraphs on recycling and it asked to compare them it was fun, and helpful at the same time because it made me concentrate extra hard on all of the other sections because i knew they had to be legit (unlike the previous time i took sat where it was hard to tell, got lucky this time)

BUT i do remember the triangle question with A+B was in the math section with the parking lot, and im pretty sure there were two triangles that were adjacent and one of them had a right angle

And there was another crazy question with 5 right angles, where you had to find the hypotenuse 5 times. I believe the first triangle had 1 and 1 so the hyp. was square root 2, then the next one square root 3, ect.

By Sprite04 (Sprite04) on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 02:02 am: Edit

LVLike86 and WIZZZ,
Did you guys have that question about the 60 min game, it think it was asking what percent was completed of the game. I am trying to find out if it was on the experimental section.

By Wizzz (Wizzz) on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 02:03 am: Edit

it wasn't experimental, that was legit (its the same one with the parking question and the 3.5X.5 question)

By Captcalculus (Captcalculus) on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 02:05 am: Edit

80% was not experimental. i had the recycling experimental verbal, along with the 80% question.

By Xiggi (Xiggi) on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 02:58 am: Edit

if you can afford to take a 600 prep course, you'll do much better than someone who can only afford a book.

Not if the classes are offered by companies like Kaplan, PR, Sylvan, and <fill the blanks>. You are MUCH better off with a book that costs less than 20 dollars (10 Real Sat Tests).

By Wizzz (Wizzz) on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 03:05 am: Edit

For the first critical reading question for the passage about the obsessed reading that related to the quote by Mr Cha, what was the meaning of this quote to the girl? I put something along the lines of opened up her eyes to a new idea

and also the first question for the black bird passage, the question was what was "the big discovery," what was it?

By Virgo007 (Virgo007) on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 01:30 pm: Edit

Yeah, Capt is right. The 80% question was not experimental. Anyway, all the experimental sections are listed on the PR site anyway, since this was the same test given in December 2001. Here is the link:

http://www.princetonreview.com/college/testprep/testprep.asp?TPRPAGE=203&TYPE=SAT-HOME

Anyway, what was that question in the 10 question section of the math where the coordinates were (2,4) to make 32. I honestly don't remember seeing that question. Anyone willing to help me refresh my memory?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page