Official SAT 1 Verbal Section on October 11th

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: October 2003 Archive: Official SAT 1 Verbal Section on October 11th
By Sssmachine (Sssmachine) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 11:08 am: Edit

Please post all of your curious questions or answers here. Let's get it started!!!

My question is:
If you guys remember any of the Benjamin Franklin question, PLEASE post your questions and answers HERE!!!!!

By Asndfkas (Asndfkas) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 11:25 am: Edit

hun, there's already another string open to do this, but - there were too many BF ques. Which one are u referring to?

By Akshay_Ac (Akshay_Ac) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 01:55 pm: Edit

hey what;s the answer to levithan:aquatic? i blindly guessed elephant:terrestrial

By Zephyrmaster (Zephyrmaster) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 02:17 pm: Edit

That's what I think it is too.

Magic the Gathering helping once again....

By College (College) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 03:02 pm: Edit

What did "take" mean in context?

By Jason817 (Jason817) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 03:11 pm: Edit

I put "interpret" and I am pretty sure it was the answer.

By Sakurasae (Sakurasae) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 03:42 pm: Edit

On the last 15 minute section about the woman reading, was she "strongly implying" that only language can provide true thrills? Or something to that effect?

By Mike105 (Mike105) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 04:24 pm: Edit

I took the test in January of 2003 on sunday and i had that exact analogy questoin -- levithan:aquatic.

But i dont remember anything about franklain on the test. I remember there was a passage about the prince of england and how he dosnt like modern architecture. Also, in my analogies there was a question with "avaricious". Perhaps the CB is just mixing and matching questions.

By Bsarnold (Bsarnold) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 04:59 pm: Edit

for the passage where the girl was talking about a buddhist and what not, was the tone combative or thoughtful?

By Jason817 (Jason817) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 05:06 pm: Edit

I put combative but I think it was thoughtful.

What did you put for how why she mentioned the buddhist? Was it "he brings up provocative viewpoints" or "to pay tribute"

By Bsarnold (Bsarnold) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 05:50 pm: Edit

i put provocative points i believe

By Hyphen (Hyphen) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 06:24 pm: Edit

Zephyrmaster: Right on! Some do crosswords in order to improve vocab, others play Magic. I believe it was Elephant: Terrestrial as well.

By Jason817 (Jason817) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 06:45 pm: Edit

I remember it from Magic. I actually knew it because of the summon from Final Fantasy 7 (huge sea creature). Still got it wrong though.

By Smartmika (Smartmika) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 08:06 pm: Edit

I find it ironic how stupid and un-read most people who do well on verbal are. "Leviathan" is a very famous work by Thomas Hobbes.

"I play Magic to improve my SAT scores."

*shudder*

Read a book.

Michael

By Ti89 (Ti89) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 08:19 pm: Edit

I knew it was a work by Thomas Hobbes from Government, but our teacher didn't give any details, so I got it wrong. Oh well.

By Zephyrmaster (Zephyrmaster) on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 01:01 am: Edit

I find it ironic how stupid and un-read most people who do well on verbal are. "Leviathan" is a very famous work by Thomas Hobbes.

*shudder*

Read a book.

Michael

What crawled up your butt and died?

Did I SAY I play Magic to improve my VOCAB? Holy crap, who does that?

But you are the big man on this site of course, correctly identifying Thomas Hobbes's work. Where was the comparison to Locke? From someone who assumes too much, I would think you have to explain the meaning of the work to us "littler folk," who don't read books.

Glad you learned about the book in AP Euro/Govt., hope your superiority complex fades in the future, it's really annoying.

---
"Ain't nothin' but a gansta' party..." - 2pac, on SAT testing.

By Zephyrmaster (Zephyrmaster) on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 01:04 am: Edit

Oh yeah, the SAT question's "leviathan," had NOTHING to do with Hobbes work, it was referring to a large mythical water creature, mentioned in the Bible, yada yada, but you already know all this.

By Lvlike86 (Lvlike86) on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 01:07 am: Edit

on the iroquis/democracy section, did any of you put one of the choice as "tolerated" for the answer?

also on the iroquis/democracy section, one of the questions asked, "how did the author react to those that opposed to his view"

please tell me that the answer was that he grew impatient...

By Gneugen (Gneugen) on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 01:08 am: Edit

I think the author was impatient of other people's views..

By Lvlike86 (Lvlike86) on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 01:09 am: Edit

I played Final Fantasy 7 to improve my scores.

Leviathan is a water elemental summon monster in that game.

I got that question right!!!

By Zephyrmaster (Zephyrmaster) on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 01:14 am: Edit

I played Final Fantasy 7 to improve my scores.

Leviathan is a water elemental summon monster in that game.

I got that question right!!!

:).

Mom: "Why must you always play that dumb game, go study for the SAT!"
Kid: "What's it look like I'm doing?"

By Reeses (Reeses) on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 01:20 am: Edit

lol

By Y17k (Y17k) on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 04:38 am: Edit

rofl...
FF7 was da best game eva :D

By Asndfkas (Asndfkas) on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 05:38 pm: Edit

Smartmika, what the hell gives you the right to critize other people's studying techniques?

What you think you're superior because you read books?

Go take your bullsh somewhere else.

By Jason817 (Jason817) on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 05:43 pm: Edit

Guys, i told my dad that I knew what that word meant from FF7 and convinced him to buy me another game. Good times.

By Jason817 (Jason817) on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 05:45 pm: Edit

I think Smartmika is just pissed off because he had to read a book to learn what Leviathan meant.

By Hotgujugangsta (Hotgujugangsta) on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 06:33 pm: Edit

only geeks sit at at home and read books all day

By Kwiktrix123 (Kwiktrix123) on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 06:50 pm: Edit

lol......funny topic...

By Crypto86 (Crypto86) on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 06:56 pm: Edit

damnit - i guessed on that one. I thought it was animal - or whatever... =P - to habitat. So that's why I put sparrow : aerial.

Can someone explain why elephant : terrestrial works?

By Jason817 (Jason817) on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 07:12 pm: Edit

it is an animal but if you think just habitat, then elephant:terrestrial works too so you have to be more specific. Leviathan is a GIGANTIC aninal and aquatic is the habitat. So that cancels sparrow out. I got that wrong too.

By Sunshine916 (Sunshine916) on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 08:22 pm: Edit

smartmika, you were out of line with that comment. it seems like on every board, you are condescending of everyone else in subtle and not so subtle ways. just chilll everyone. wait a few more days and get scores.

its not worth getting into a heated argument over.

my best friend knew the word leviathan from video games too!!!!! mannnnnn...i wish i played video games :)

By Stanfordhopeful (Stanfordhopeful) on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 08:45 pm: Edit

Wow. So I wasn't the only one who knew it from videogames? He's also a summon in FF8 or 9 I believe.

By Smartmika (Smartmika) on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 08:47 pm: Edit

Sunshine--I'm really not trying to condescend.

Amusingly, I learned "leviathan" first as the title of the book by Thomas Hobbes... then I heard it used in the context of a large oaf on FAMILY GUY... by Stewie. (Great show)

I learned perspicacity from the Simpsons. That episode where the school shuts down due to the PTA disbanding... and Ned takes over. Lisa (the greatest character of anything, ever) tries to describe her frustration with her inability to come up with three synonyms for a word "Ahh... AGH!! I'm losing my perspicacity!!" and runs upstairs... Great stuff.

Sorry if I offended people, I'm just trying to express my opinion about how insane things have become.

Michael

By Asndfkas (Asndfkas) on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 09:33 pm: Edit

Ya, it's amazing how you suddenly turn everything around Michael (I saw another one of your posts)

first it's:

*shudder*

and now "I learned perspicacity from the Simpsons."

haha. whatever. insane.

By Crypto86 (Crypto86) on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 09:37 pm: Edit

"it is an animal but if you think just habitat, then elephant:terrestrial works too so you have to be more specific. Leviathan is a GIGANTIC aninal and aquatic is the habitat. So that cancels sparrow out. I got that wrong too. "

Bah... I didn't even know what a Leviathan was and yet I got the connection correct (animal to habitat). Ugh - almost...

By Whatever17 (Whatever17) on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 09:49 pm: Edit

hmm..the same question with the leviathan...well...i was thinking sparrow:aerial is more specific than elephant:terrestrial.
I mean, both the leviathan and elephant live on Earth, no? or is terrestrail reffering more to land?

By Zephyrmaster (Zephyrmaster) on Tuesday, October 14, 2003 - 12:18 am: Edit

It was:

sparrow - air guys.

And a leviathan is a gigantic aquatic creature.

An elephant is a gigantic terrestrial creature.

A sparrow is NOT a gigantic air[ial]? creature.

By Gneugen (Gneugen) on Tuesday, October 14, 2003 - 02:30 am: Edit

aerial

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page