SAT proctor gives us 10 mins instead of 15; I'm screwed

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: October 2003 Archive: SAT proctor gives us 10 mins instead of 15; I'm screwed
By Calikid (Calikid) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 01:32 am: Edit

Yes, the test is over, but I'm not in the mood to celebrate. I have to live with the fact that I have to take the SAT once again, because the stupid test proctor gave my testing room 10 mins to do the last 15 min. Verbal section. I brought it to the proctor's attention and requested that she ask the others if anyone else kept time with a personal stopwatch, in the hope that some other test taker had noticed that we still had 5 mins. left, but no one would admit to the proctor's mistake (or was brave enough to come forward, cowards). Hence, I left 6 problems unanswered, and am now in the process of canceling my scores. A summer of preparation....all gone to waste. I have to wait for the December test date to retake the SAT. Has anyone else had this problem? How can I make sure that future tests administered at my school will not repeat this problem?

By Ilovemath (Ilovemath) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 01:33 am: Edit

You could always go to another school in your area.

By Calikid (Calikid) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 01:38 am: Edit

True.

But the nearest SAT centers are 30 mins away. My school is only 5 mins away...

By Mlk (Mlk) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 05:01 am: Edit

well -- which one is more important ?
25 more mins in the car or your future ?!

Consider yourself lucky - in my country there are only 3 test-taking centers (one being in my city , and is BTW on the other end - around 30 mins with car ^^ ) . The other 2 are on the other end of the country hahaa :D - so if sth like that happened to me i'd be more than pissed
or would refuse to stop working if im sure i have 5 more mins :D

Guess your proctor was a real pain in the ***

By Number9 (Number9) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 09:55 am: Edit

You should report this to the college board, maybe they'll set them straight finally.

By Cheezeit08 (Cheezeit08) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 12:54 pm: Edit

I cancelled my scores because there was NO WAY I did better this time around than last. I don't want colleges to see that my score went down, so I decided to cancel, even though I think I may have done better in verbal this time. I also had an issue with the timing. I think my proctor miscounted too because I kept track of time with my watch and I think she called time up about 3-4 minutes too early. I still hadn't read like 5 questions so I was pretty pissed, and that just discouraged me for the rest of the test. I hate the SAT.

By Jason817 (Jason817) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 12:56 pm: Edit

Same here. For some reason, we were done at 11:45 when it was supposed to end at 12.

Also, we never got scratch paper for the math sections...

By Cheezeit08 (Cheezeit08) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 01:01 pm: Edit

Jason did you cancel your scores too?

By Cheezeit08 (Cheezeit08) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 01:05 pm: Edit

I also believe that the environment affected my performance. We had to take the test in this auditorium and the seats were SO uncomfortable, the desks were so so tiny and crooked (i couldn't fit my calculator and my test booklet and my answer sheet on it), and there was hardly any leg room. I was so pissed that they made us take such an important test in such discomfort. So I cancelled my scores.

By Dlau1 (Dlau1) on Tuesday, October 14, 2003 - 09:14 pm: Edit

Is it not standard procedure for the proctor to write the start/end time on the board and provide a clock or something that will allow you to pace yourself? I took my test in a cramped auditorium where the proctor shouted "5 Minutes" 5 minutes before the end of every section, therefore, in this test, it was the first time I EVER was unable to complete a math section

therefore, I cancelled. Should I complain about this to ETS?

By Matlm (Matlm) on Tuesday, October 14, 2003 - 09:40 pm: Edit

Sue the proctor. I am serious. Sue her. People like that should be sued for everything they have I swear.

By Gogeta (Gogeta) on Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 05:50 pm: Edit

This happened to me the last SAT this saturday she cut of 5 min in the 2nd last section.

My friend got cut 5 minutes twice on one of his SATs and another friend got screwed on the last section, but everyone wanted to leave and no speak up.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page