OFFICIAL SAT I REASONING TEST DISCUSSION: VERBAL PORTION

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: October 2003 Archive: OFFICIAL SAT I REASONING TEST DISCUSSION: VERBAL PORTION
By Tenista09 (Tenista09) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 07:51 pm: Edit

Since the other thread is getting really full and very annoying to load each time for updates, I decided to start a new thread, this time separated between verbal and math. This is the verbal portion.

By Tenista09 (Tenista09) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 07:58 pm: Edit

Did anyone get the passage with the dilapidated house and the landlord Miles? It might've been the experimental section but I'm not sure.

By Neplusultra (Neplusultra) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 08:00 pm: Edit

Yep. That was experimental.

By Satsuki (Satsuki) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 08:10 pm: Edit

Hmm...I don't seem to remember doing a section on that...is the experimental section different for everyone?

I only remember doing sections on Iroquois/Ben Franklin, theater/play, birds, and reading(addiction). Which one is the experimental then?

By Jason817 (Jason817) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 08:13 pm: Edit

Satsuki - those were the 4 non-experimental passages (meaning that everyone did them). Your experimental was math. I think it was the parking lot/# of diff possibilies one.

By Tenista09 (Tenista09) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 08:13 pm: Edit

I got an experimental section with something on Star Wars, then an old torn down house and it being painted, some analogies, ex. "protean:form::amorphous:solid" etc.

By Neplusultra (Neplusultra) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 08:15 pm: Edit

Hmm... good question. I'm not sure home many unique equating sections they create for each administration. How many math sections did you have?

By Neplusultra (Neplusultra) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 08:16 pm: Edit

Was protean:form really from the experimental section? Maybe you're right; I didn't really think much about the equating part after I realized it wouldn't count for anything.

By Bigshaune (Bigshaune) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 08:22 pm: Edit

Interesting. I had 4 verbal sections, so one of them was experimental, but i had only the Ben Franklin/Birds/Theater/Reading Addict passages.I also had the three little excerpts and those were in the same section as the theater passage. Which one was experimental?!

By Tenista09 (Tenista09) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 08:27 pm: Edit

What equating part?

By Satsuki (Satsuki) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 08:27 pm: Edit

Yes, that's what I was wondering about too. Because it can't be 4 verbal sections(no experimental) and 3 math sections(so that makes it 2 real sections with 1 experimental)? That doesn't sound right to me.

One of the little excerpt is about the bus driver, right?

By Tenista09 (Tenista09) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 08:32 pm: Edit

No...the experimental verbal contains the passage about Star Wars and the one about the old torn down house that ends up painted but then worn out again.

By Bigshaune (Bigshaune) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 08:38 pm: Edit

Problem is I am hearing all sorts of different passages for the experimental sections, so there is no default way to know for everyone.

By Booboo2 (Booboo2) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 08:44 pm: Edit

what did you guys get for the analogy vendetta:hostility?

the only choices i remember are slight:resentment and rivalry:competition

By Tenista09 (Tenista09) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 08:46 pm: Edit

BooBoo2, that was from the May 2003 Test.

By Christy (Christy) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 08:52 pm: Edit

all together i had 7 sections. im so damn confused! i did fairly well in all of the math sections so i dont really care but i screwed up on the english section. i though that the passages were kinda weird... anyways the 1st passage was the one on ben franklin, then, the play thing, then the book addiction, and then the 15 minute section with 2 passages on venus, the queen elizabeth thing i think....there are only one topic passage per section right??

By Booboo2 (Booboo2) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 08:58 pm: Edit

are you POSITIVE? i definitely got that question today for the oct 11 sat 1..and i'm sure it wasn't part of the verbal experimental (short crit reading passages about selling sodas etc)

im sure they wouldnt duplicate it either so i dont know..

By Christy (Christy) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 09:01 pm: Edit

how do u kno if a section was experimental or not? i did really bad on the ben franklin passage

By 1001001 (1001001) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 09:23 pm: Edit

Does anybody remember a fill in questionon a mayor accepting money because he was ____. (ans: venal)

Was that experimental?

Thanks

By Crypto86 (Crypto86) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 09:25 pm: Edit

Yo, did any of you get a section with 3 straight 15 line passages - the last one about Dante and his poetry. Also, there was a mini double-passage section about weathermen (about 40 lines each). That was my section 3. Any of you guys have that one?

By Booboo2 (Booboo2) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 09:28 pm: Edit

1001001 and crypto86, i did not get either of your passages for the oct 11 sat 1.

crit reading passages i got:
short paragraph ones (assuming these were experimental), 2 passages on plays, readers' addiction, iroquoi confederacy/ben franklin, birds and genetic superiority

did you get the last 4?

By Crypto86 (Crypto86) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 09:33 pm: Edit

Yes booboo2, I got your last four.

By Hyphen (Hyphen) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 09:47 pm: Edit

My experimental was math, but I got the Iroqouis/Franklin passage, Dual passage on Plays, & the short 12 question passage on readers' addiction.

By 1001001 (1001001) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 09:57 pm: Edit

Could someone give the order of the passages? This would really be helpful for my recall.

I remember the plays passage (harlem and when the kid was 6) was section 3.

Thanks for your help

By 1001001 (1001001) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 10:12 pm: Edit

Did anybody get the question on the Indian/Franklin that asked what his opponents did with books when he was in the library.

Something to the effect that they were borrowing them.

Nobody has mentioned this so I hope it helps.

By Aznboi13 (Aznboi13) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 10:19 pm: Edit

For the combative/thoughtful question, the last question on the 15 min. passage, is combative the answer?

She clearly is overcoming a struggle of whether or not reading is beneficial to her.

According to dictionary.com,
combative adj 1: striving to overcome in argument;

So combative works right?

By Nutmag345 (Nutmag345) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 10:27 pm: Edit

1001001 could you elaborate on the Indian question? I don't remember having that one.

Aznboi13, combative is not the answer. The author debates the various courses of action she should take to curb her addiction, but is never belligerent.

By Aznboi13 (Aznboi13) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 10:29 pm: Edit

Nutmag345, the definition however does not even mention belligerent. Why couldn't this second definition of combative work?

By Aznboi13 (Aznboi13) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 10:29 pm: Edit

Nutmag345, the definition however does not even mention belligerent. Why couldn't this second definition of combative work?

By Testtaker (Testtaker) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 10:35 pm: Edit

Do you guys remember the question with skeleton:body and ____::building. If so, can you give the other choices and the correct answer. Also, what was the origional analogy.

By Nutmag345 (Nutmag345) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 10:35 pm: Edit

Okay, what the definition of combative implies is that the author is forcefully trying to get some point across. There is a subtle, albeit important distinction between evaluating the various sides to an issue (what the author does) and arguing for a particular side.

Just another note: I have found that on questions about tone etc, ETS usually uses the first definition of a word. Secondary meanings are usually seen in the analogy section.

By Aznboi13 (Aznboi13) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 10:36 pm: Edit

I see.. thanks

By 1001001 (1001001) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 11:26 pm: Edit

Did anybody get an answer that had "anecdote" in it?

By Otterpop (Otterpop) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 12:17 am: Edit

FOr that tone question, I said the tone was thoughtful. Anyone else agree?? I was contemplating between thoughtful and combative, but decided to go with the more moderate answer, thoughtful.

By Captcalculus (Captcalculus) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 12:23 am: Edit

yeah. i had anecdote somehwere. it may have been the experimental section though, i dont remember.

By Ilovemath (Ilovemath) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 12:39 am: Edit

What was the sentence completion with Agatha Christy having enduring popularity, as opposed to most mystery writers who only have ____ popularity? Was it subsequent or intermittent?

By Scetoaux (Scetoaux) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 12:43 am: Edit

It must've been intermittent, nothing else worked, but even intermittent was super weak: its not cyclical its temporary.

By Wizzz (Wizzz) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 12:44 am: Edit

i put intermittent but it was kind of a guess, the other options like international and regional didn't sound right

By 31337 (31337) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 12:48 am: Edit

I wrote intermittent for that

By Solus (Solus) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 12:56 am: Edit

Did anyone have two short passages about ANWAR, oil drilling, etc? - it was two passages and you were asked to compare. They were each probably 15 lines. Very weird. I never saw anything so short. I think that was the experimental for me. I hope so - b/c I didn't do to well on the sentences and analogies that went along with those two passages. Any input?

By 31337 (31337) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 12:58 am: Edit

anybody remember audacity for an answer to a SC?

By Nakattacks31 (Nakattacks31) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 02:15 am: Edit

the answer was subsequent..intermittent mean Stopping and starting at intervals whereas subsequent means following in time..other authors success followed in time whereas agatha's fame lasted a long time

By Polly (Polly) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 02:31 am: Edit

for combative/thoughtful, I picked thoughtful, too.

And I chose intermittent but not sure if that was right. But can't it be interpreted that other authors succeed intermittently when they write good novels, and other times they write poor novels?

By Entropie (Entropie) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 02:33 am: Edit

subsequent doesnt make sense (to me). I thought the sentence said she had always been a favorite throughout her whole career or something like that. So intermittent would work better because instead of Agatha Christie's continuous appeal to readers, other writers would have appeal that starts and stops.

By Entropie (Entropie) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 02:39 am: Edit

does anyone remember the one with the birds having sex?

1. there was one about the patches. the only ones i remember was that either patches were related to genetic superiority of the had something to do with parasites. I chose that patches relate to superiority.

2. One about how the scientists conducted the experiment. i was trying to decide wether they were conducting independent experiments to reach conclusions or trying different methods to discover the natural phenomenon of cheating birds. i didnt see many different methods, so i chose the individual experiment one.

this passage was retarded while entertaining at the same time.

By Polly (Polly) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 02:53 am: Edit

about birds:

1. me too.

2. um... then which one did you choose?

By Freudboy (Freudboy) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 02:57 am: Edit

the intermittant question is interesting, i put intermittant but i think nakattack has a point?

By Entropie (Entropie) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 03:47 am: Edit

polly: the one that said they independently worked to reach a conclusion. how about you, or anyone else?

i think i did very well on this section, at least 720...as for math, that's a different story.

By Yumpop (Yumpop) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 04:38 am: Edit

I think intermittent makese sense because a mystery writer doesn't just write one book and quit his/her career. He or she writes several books; some may be successful and some will not sell. Therefore, the author would experience success with some attempts and not others... His or her popularity is volatile; it goes up and down. Like some actors lose appeal after a bad movie then gain it back with a blockbuster.

By Polly (Polly) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 11:37 am: Edit

I didn't get the last 15-minute verbal section. For me, it was the hardest section because I'm not good at English, rather math.

I don't remember exactly which I chose for birds 2. question, but if I see the same answer I would remember.

What did you get for the analogy, neophyte : beginner?

By Sunshine916 (Sunshine916) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 11:40 am: Edit

Did anyone have two short passages about ANWAR, oil drilling, etc? - it was two passages and you were asked to compare. They were each probably 15 lines. Very weird. I never saw anything so short. I think that was the experimental for me. I hope so - b/c I didn't do to well on the sentences and analogies that went along with those two passages. Any input?

i had that too, and it was REALLLLLLY hard. it has been confirmed as experimental, thank goodness.

By Solus (Solus) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 11:59 am: Edit

Entropie, for that one, I chose the methods answer. They were looking at mortality rates of offspring produced from various combination of the "dominant" male + females and the competing male + females.

The tone of the passage made me feel that the scientists were trying to use various methods to figure out this "phenomena." They also mearued chest stuff, and tried to find relatioships between physical characteristics and relative sexual success.

By Fllacrosse (Fllacrosse) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 12:20 pm: Edit

I had an experimental verbal section. One of my sections had the two 15 line passages but they were about fast food and lawsuits against the companies, not houses or Star Wars.

Did anyone put anything besides combative or thoughtful for the author's tone of the Reading Addiction passage?

By Doofus (Doofus) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 12:20 pm: Edit

I got 2 baby passages about suing fast food companies.. i'm assuming its experimental

By Crypto86 (Crypto86) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 12:22 pm: Edit

All the mini passages are all different. So that section has to be the experimental. I got mini passages of weathermen...

By Yalie08 (Yalie08) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 12:29 pm: Edit

Hey guys. I finally got the guts to post here. I got a few questions:

Vendetta: something
as rivalry: copetitition, right?
fingers: piano
harmonica: mouth,right?
divine: discover
theorize:test ?

for a sent. comp. (maybe exp.)
the politician (backpedaled) to (stanch)?
girl was (skulking) and (furtive)?
Langston Hughes teacher spice (profundity)with (wit)???

for Iriqois story:
said opponents (distorted his ideas)?
Greek/Roman analogy to show (interaction of cultures)?
initial reaction to topic (unfamiliar and puzzling)?
use of Indian ceremonial words indicates(inspiration from their culutre)?
take = (interpret)?

Crow story:
1st question: something like (apply a universal principle ofevolution to local surroundings)?
says "assumption" beacuse of (varyingresults of chick studies)
wing measuring to (figure genetic correlation, orsomething)
last sentence indicates that author is (fascinated)?

Plays vs. movies:
2nd passage: author saw curtain scene: (in book illustration)?
devotees: (passage 1 guy, pass. 2 guy at 6)?
I said it was guilt, but tend to think its regret now

book addict:
talk of lure of narrative in such big terms showed what? Idon't remembre options....
talk of Asian-sounding guy: to introduce a novel idea
left grad. school cuz (reading not sufficiently engaging)?
is balance because: (must weigh the benefits of reading and not reading...)?
I put inadequate for poor
like kids and athletics: (those who have skills in things are constrained by those things)
one can infer the (she thinks reading is more intellectually stimulating than athletics etc)
last paragraph says she has new freedom in that: (she can choose not to finish books that don't interest her)

Thanx abunch

By Crypto86 (Crypto86) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 12:35 pm: Edit

Most of all that stuff I had the same as you.

By Wizzz (Wizzz) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 12:35 pm: Edit

many of these were experiementals, this is what i got for some of your answers

Vendetta: something
as rivalry: copetitition, right?
exp

fingers: piano
harmonica: mouth,right?
thats what i put

divine: discover
theorize:test ?
exp

for a sent. comp. (maybe exp.)
the politician (backpedaled) to (stanch)?
exp

girl was (skulking) and (furtive)?
thats what i put

Langston Hughes teacher spice (profundity)with (wit)???
i remember putting profound as an answer but i dont remember wit

for Iriqois story:
said opponents (distorted his ideas)?
what i put

Greek/Roman analogy to show (interaction of cultures)?
what i put

i put surprised

dont remember

take = (interpret)?
thats what i put

Crow story:
1st question: something like (apply a universal principle ofevolution to local surroundings)?
says "assumption" beacuse of (varyingresults of chick studies)
dont remember
wing measuring to (figure genetic correlation, orsomething)
thats what i put
last sentence indicates that author is (fascinated)?
thats what i put

By Nutmag345 (Nutmag345) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 02:06 pm: Edit

Does anyone know what the first question of the crow story was? Or any of the other questions from that passage? This passage is not getting as much attention as the others and I want to make sure that I did not miss any.

By Polly (Polly) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 04:21 pm: Edit

What's the crow story? I don't remember doing that...

By Polly (Polly) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 04:24 pm: Edit

Oh I see, the birds. Were they crows?

I guess I chose "apply a universal principle ofevolution to local surroundings" too.

By Freudboy (Freudboy) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 04:25 pm: Edit

initial reaction to topic
-- For this i put he was amazed, or very interested, forgot the wording

--For this i put 'use of conventional methods signifies influence' or something like that

By Testtaker (Testtaker) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 04:49 pm: Edit

--For this i put 'use of conventional methods signifies influence' or something like that

I don't seem to remember that question. What ceremonial words is it refering to?

By Solus (Solus) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 05:00 pm: Edit

Fruedboy, I put the same for initial reaction. I forgot the wording as well, however. I know which you are talking about though ;)

By Wizzz (Wizzz) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 05:05 pm: Edit

what was the answer to the analogy
snapshot :: camera ?

By Hotgujugangsta (Hotgujugangsta) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 05:10 pm: Edit

i put surprised

Surprised was not an answer choice but it did say in the passage that his initial reaction was that he was surprised. Unfortunetly none of the answer choiced were related to surprised. I don't remember the actual answer choices though.

By Hotgujugangsta (Hotgujugangsta) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 05:11 pm: Edit

wasn't it sketch:artist
but i think the stem pair was Snapshot:Cameraman

By Polly (Polly) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 05:20 pm: Edit

I agree.

By Fllacrosse (Fllacrosse) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 05:23 pm: Edit

Snapshot:Photographer was the analogy I think.

By Wizzz (Wizzz) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 05:38 pm: Edit

i think i put that, so i guess the bridge was photographer makes snapshots, and an artist makes sketches (tho that might not necessarily be true)

By Nutmag345 (Nutmag345) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 06:49 pm: Edit

For the bird question where people put down the answer as "apply a universal principle of evolution to local surroundings," what was the question?

By Smartmika (Smartmika) on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 12:17 am: Edit

You don't feel "guilt" that you don't enjoy something as much... "guilt" implies that the person did something wrong. The six-year-old boy grew up into a 16-year-old and realized that the difference between 6 and 16 is greater than that between 16-86. At the age of 6, the author wasn't able to understand everything--the curtain and the building all had magical qualities to it. At the age of 16, he was more sophisticated and was no logner able to appreciate the play as he did when he was a child. He grew up--which was an inevitability--thus he had no active choice. He looks back (as an adult) upon his childhood experience with awe--and a sad understanding that he lost that as he aged.

Think about watching a movie you loved as a child and realizing how crappy it was. You don't feel guilty that you don't like it anymore, you just realize that when you are a child it was better because you had not been exposed to the amount of things you were now. Then you reflect upon it--regretting that you had to age; however, you don't feel guilty for you did nothing wrong.

Michael

By Aznqtangel (Aznqtangel) on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 12:31 am: Edit

does anyone remember all the ans choices to the analogy question with hypocrite:values?

By Aznqtangel (Aznqtangel) on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 12:32 am: Edit

what was the context of the vigilance sentence completion?

By Ilovemath (Ilovemath) on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 12:33 am: Edit

charlaton:knowledge

By Doofus (Doofus) on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 12:38 am: Edit

Azn.. It was about a cities residents protecting a celebrity's privacy. the answer i chose was adamant/????

By Testtaker (Testtaker) on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 12:44 am: Edit

does anyone remember the answer choices and the correct answer in skeleton:: body or something like that

By Polly (Polly) on Tuesday, October 14, 2003 - 07:54 pm: Edit

I don't remember doing that above analogy...

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page