SAT II US History | Best way to study?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: October 2003 Archive: SAT II US History | Best way to study?
By Culov (Culov) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 07:26 pm: Edit

Well, I screwed myself. I didn't really do much my first two years of high school... primarily due to the fact that my classes were boring and i had no reason to do well. Junior year i got a little more interested and pretty much had the highest grades in most of my classes. Now im a senior and ive been working my ass off for the last few months because it feels like its actually worth it. My high school (private) doesnt rank, but if it did, id be in the top 1-8% if only junior/senior years counted.

So far, my high for SAT is 1240 :( I never really studied for it because theres no way in hell im gonna memorize thousands of words just for a few extra points... i guess thats what seperates me from the ones who will be going to ivy league. I took the SAT again today and i feel i did alright... still gotta take sat II nov 1 and nows the time for me to get really serious.

Im gonna take it for Math IC, Writing, and US History. If im serious and paying attention, im a pretty good writer and the math shouldnt be that bad. If i can get a 700 on each of these id be happy. For US History, id like to get between 750 and 800. Since im really interested in it, i dont mind studying. Ive read a few books, but i think they are a little too detailed for what the sat II goes into. I would take the test for chem since it would most likely be easy for me if i ran through everyone again, but that would require some studying for something that im not interested in... Thats something i dont like to do :).

So... should i just buy one of those "Cracking the US History SAT II" or whatever the hell they are called books? Id rather read a few complete books on the subject instead of getting tips/hints/sample questions, only because id be more interested.

Now to the question... If you did really well on the US History SAT II, how did you study? Writing/Math IC suggestions are also appreciated although i dont plan on studying long for those.

By Culov (Culov) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 09:11 pm: Edit

bump

By Abz1986 (Abz1986) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 01:07 am: Edit

Ok I took US History SAT II and got 760 (good for me especially since I'm not a humanities type person). Here was my prep:

1. Taking AP US History and the AP US History AP Test right before taking the SAT II History (it was the May/June test date). This gave me a major advantage. Very important, but too bad you won't be able to utilize this.
2. I prepared for my AP History test with the princeton review AP US History book. The defs were pretty useful IMO and I researched most of the defs.
3. I used Barrons SAT II US History book for my SAT II History. It was very thorough in giving you a complete lesson on US History (like a text book). I didn't read it all but it still helped.

There was some random questions on the SAT II History (like who was the writer of Wizard of Ox or something and why did he write it), so its not going to be easy to get a perfect score unless you really have a complete thorough understanding of history. But I think you should do fine.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page