OFFICIAL SAT II LITERATURE

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: October 2003 Archive: OFFICIAL SAT II LITERATURE
By Shilpa1125 (Shilpa1125) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 01:17 pm: Edit

What did you think about this one? I thought the first passage was really hard, but it got easier, but all in all, I thought it was harder than the ones I'd seen before.

By Joshstein (Joshstein) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 01:59 pm: Edit

I agree that this test was harder than the practice ones. I thought the poem about the man saying how the woman was mean to him was the hardest.

By Shilpa1125 (Shilpa1125) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 04:47 pm: Edit

Yeah, was that passage about how he would stay in love with her? Or am I off?

By Ari17 (Ari17) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 05:09 pm: Edit

The literature was absolutely impossible. I got a 5 on the Eng. Lang. AP but I could barely do any of these questions. I think that's insane.

By Confetti (Confetti) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 08:24 pm: Edit

meh, for the poem about the person who wanted to tell her lover something that made he/she happy -- and then realized the lover was gone -- what was the order of emotions that it ran?

for the one about the guy who spoke about death and used his hat as a gesture to emphasize his point, what did wind--something mean -- and ye=?

and the one from decline and fall, by evelyn waugh-- the one with grimes talking about marriage, the closed door=confined? and i had some more questions...

i experienced a lot of narrowing down to two -- and then freaking out over which one to choose.

refresh my memory some more :)

By Jimjunior (Jimjunior) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 08:40 pm: Edit

This thing was hard. I hated it

By Nealyac (Nealyac) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 12:04 am: Edit

it was the hardest thing i ever took i hope there is a big curve.

By Shilpa1125 (Shilpa1125) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 12:20 pm: Edit

1- joy, remorse, and grief?- i think that's right, but i'm not sure.

and I can't remember for 2 and 3.

I did the same thing that you did Confetti, I narrowed a whole lot down to 2 and took a random guess basically.

But since everyone seems to think it was impossible, maybe there will be a really big curve. On the practice ones you can miss 7 or 8 and still get an 800, so maybe there will be an even bigger curve?

Anyone remember any answers from The Lost Ingredient?

By Bada1712 (Bada1712) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 03:47 pm: Edit

can whoever thought the test was easy write down answers they remember?

By Ageorgis (Ageorgis) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 03:53 pm: Edit

This thing was unbearably difficult... I pretty much christmas treed the entire exam... I mean seriously, this was probably the hardest exam I've taken in my entire life. I don't feel very optimistic hearing that someone who already took AP English Literature thinks that they bombed it... I have the class next semester :(

By Bada1712 (Bada1712) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 04:14 pm: Edit

Haha, you're not alone ageorgis. It was impossible. I don't understand why they would possibly make it so difficult.

By Ageorgis (Ageorgis) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 04:16 pm: Edit

Yeah, I smoked a little bit of reefer before I went in thinking it would help take the pressure off and help me concentrate a little more. I guess I'll see once the official scores come in...

I really want to cancel the literature test, but I believe I have to cancel ALL of the tests I took yesterday, and I felt like I did very solid on the Writing, so I don't want to cancel that... Oh well, here's a drink to the hope that everyone did horrible so there will be a hefty curve =) =) =)

By Confetti (Confetti) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 07:32 pm: Edit

shilpa-- yeah, that's what i put down

for the lost ingredient, was it a ritual or ... what? and when he said, "it was just yesterday" what did he mean... and i said that the lost ingredient was something they searched for but it evaded them...

and yeah, if you cancel one test from the day, you cancel all of the day's tests. :(

By Aspirer42 (Aspirer42) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 08:00 pm: Edit

Do they determine the curves before or after we take the test?

By Confetti (Confetti) on Tuesday, October 14, 2003 - 09:04 pm: Edit

im pretty sure before.

i accidentally omitted six. :(

By Wongororo (Wongororo) on Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 02:24 am: Edit

I took this test but cancelled scores. I had no prep. What is good for prep? Are there any real SAT II's available on the internet, etc, that aren't published in the 20 Real SAT IIs Book?

Jason

By Gigglz (Gigglz) on Thursday, October 16, 2003 - 08:07 pm: Edit

oh, ••••. i'm taking this test in december x|

By Gigglz (Gigglz) on Thursday, October 16, 2003 - 08:08 pm: Edit

to everyone that took it and thought it was super hard: what kind of prep did you have??

By Jason817 (Jason817) on Thursday, October 16, 2003 - 08:42 pm: Edit

jesus, good thing i'm not taking this

By Clipse (Clipse) on Friday, October 17, 2003 - 05:06 pm: Edit

prep wont help, its all reading comprehension like sat verbal but 10x harder. The prep books just go over literary terms which doesnt help that much, most are what does the author feel, what is he trying to say etc, of course its with poetry and drama

By Confetti (Confetti) on Saturday, October 18, 2003 - 03:26 am: Edit

ALL of the prep books i've seen were completely off target (kaplan, pr, and barrons).

By Alextmw (Alextmw) on Saturday, October 25, 2003 - 10:37 pm: Edit

I got a 780 on this mofo when I thought I did terribly. Seriously, I thought Math IIC and Spanish were pretty reasonable and I took this one last because practice tests made it look like it would be a walk in the park. It was NOT. I was so demoralized by the end of this test. The one advantage I can think of for taking this would be how rarely people take it. If you do well, you could stand out a bit. But it's a big risk, in my opinion, you never know if you're going to do well. You can't prepare; go on instinct and careful reading of the text AND the question.

I can't remember a single thing from the test, but if anyone remembers the questions I think I could remember what my answers were.

Btw I didn't prep for the test aside from scanning a few samples in the Barron's book. Stole it from the school library haha. I do take IB-H English, and I consider that a big help.

By Shilpa1125 (Shilpa1125) on Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 01:15 am: Edit

Same here Alex! I thought it was so hard, and I'm hoping the fact that I got a 780 helps.

Yeah, my main prep was taking AP English, I took a couple practice tests too, but that didn't help me too much. Oh well, I'm really happy!

By Alextmw (Alextmw) on Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 03:36 am: Edit

yyyyyyep. I think percentiles are important here... 780 is 98th, whereas 790 in Math IIC is 87th or something like that. Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part, but I think it's a standout to have actually done this test and then done well.

By Otterpop (Otterpop) on Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 04:23 pm: Edit

Hey, have any of you used the Kaplan lit book? I'm using it right now to prepare for the Lit test, and I'm scoring in the mid 600s. This test is freaking hard. I was wondering, are the tests in Kaplan easier or harder than the real questions on the test? If they're easier than the real test, then screw it; I don't want to risk it.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page