OFFICIAL SAT II CHEM DISCUSSION

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: October 2003 Archive: OFFICIAL SAT II CHEM DISCUSSION
By Kevinkleinz (Kevinkleinz) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 10:59 am: Edit

Well, start posting questions.

By Billiam2 (Billiam2) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 11:46 am: Edit

what is a chemical property of gasoline? i put liquid at room temp.

By Kevinkleinz (Kevinkleinz) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 11:50 am: Edit

yea, I put that as well

By Mazzo (Mazzo) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 11:53 am: Edit

gasoline is insoluble in water

By Billiam2 (Billiam2) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 11:58 am: Edit

right. it is also flammable and liquid at room temparature. So the real question is: which is a chemical property.

By Mazzo (Mazzo) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 12:00 pm: Edit

liquid is a physical propery. the solubility is a chemical property because it is dependent on the bonding and or structure.

By Kevinkleinz (Kevinkleinz) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 12:02 pm: Edit

Oh, I apologize. No; I did not put "liquid at room temperature", as that is just a physical property. I believe that I put flammable, simply because flammable implies a reaction. I didn't say insoluble in water, because that is determined easily by looking at the composition of gasoline.

By Billiam2 (Billiam2) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 12:05 pm: Edit

what other questions were there?

what is highly soluble in water, but does not conduct electricity? This was in the first sections on the matching. I said copper.

By Fairyofwind2 (Fairyofwind2) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 12:06 pm: Edit

COPPER? ...! I didn't take it, but copper compounds are not highly soluble in water, and it conducts electricity

By Kevinkleinz (Kevinkleinz) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 12:07 pm: Edit

Wasn't one of the choices methanol (H3C-OH)? I believe I said that, because, due to the hydrogen bonding, it would conceivably be quite soluble in water.

By Billiam2 (Billiam2) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 12:07 pm: Edit

haha. im terrible, im probablly going to cancel.

other options were CH4, KI, other stuff that i dont remember.

By Kevinkleinz (Kevinkleinz) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 12:09 pm: Edit

Wasn't there a question that was like, "What products will form if NaHCO3 and HCl react"?

By Billiam2 (Billiam2) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 12:11 pm: Edit

yeah. i said Co2, that was it. But im wrong probablly, since it was a guess.

By Billiam2 (Billiam2) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 12:14 pm: Edit

was there some trick to the last question? or was it just normal titration. I did not look to see if it dissociated into ions, did it? i think i put 2*10^-2.

By Kevinkleinz (Kevinkleinz) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 12:15 pm: Edit

And I think there was another one that was like "If Fe(NO3)2 is dissolved in water a clear precipate forms, which ion was likely to have been in the original solution"

By Kevinkleinz (Kevinkleinz) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 12:15 pm: Edit

No, I think I got 2*10^-2 as well.

By Kevinkleinz (Kevinkleinz) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 12:45 pm: Edit

There was one that was like, "which of the following do you NOT need in order to figure out the concentration of an acid..."

I think I said thermometer.

By Kikikoo (Kikikoo) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 12:56 pm: Edit

For the chemical property of gasoline, I put flammable.

For the thing not needed to figure out the concentration of an acid, I put thermometer as well.

For the "Fe(NO3)2" question (if it is put in water and a precipiate forms, or something), I totally guessed and put A) Ca2+.

The difference between alkane & the alcohol: I know that alcohol is polar but that wasn't a choice. So I put alcohol displays hydrogen bonding...right?

Which one is a covalent (network) solid? I just checked in a book and SiO2 would make sense, but I think I put SO2 (Did i misread it? Was it SiO2)?

When you measure 1 mol O2 over H2O, you only need the vapor pressure of H2O rite? Do you need the temperature of the gas as well?

ugh I can't believe I forgot that H2CO3 was a WEAK acid...

By Kevinkleinz (Kevinkleinz) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 01:23 pm: Edit

For the covalent solid question, I believe it was SiO2.

For the "measuring of 1 mol O2 over H2O" question, I'm not exactly sure which one [question] you're talking about. But wouldn't you have to know the temperature, seeing as how the pressure increases with temperature?

And I put Ca2+ as well, because 1) I know that Ca is white and 2) since you have 2 moles of NO3, you need a 2+ cation. That was my reasoning, but perhaps it's wrong.

Finally, what did everybody get for the question: "What products will form if NaHCO3 and HCl react"?

By Maverick27 (Maverick27) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 01:36 pm: Edit

hey guys, i didnt take the SAT II, but im going to later this year. i was reading ur sutff and i had a question...
"For the "Fe(NO3)2" question (if it is put in water and a precipiate forms, or something), I totally guessed and put A) Ca2+. " --kikikoo
im not sure guys, i really dont consider myself that smart, but when Fe(NO3)2 dissociates it breaks into Fe and NO3 ions doesnt it? one of the solubility rules says that almost all NO3 compounds are soluble...so the ion for that question had to pair with Fe and be a negative ion...does that make sense? Was there a negative ion as one of the choices?

By Kevinkleinz (Kevinkleinz) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 01:45 pm: Edit

What says it had to pair with Fe and not NO3?

By Maverick27 (Maverick27) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 01:58 pm: Edit

most NO3 ions are soluble man, if its soluble, then it wouldnt form a precipitate.

By Maverick27 (Maverick27) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 01:59 pm: Edit

NO3 COMPOUNDS not ions. sry

By Billiam2 (Billiam2) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 05:36 pm: Edit

how many t t ce's did you guys get? I had like 4. And on the the 2nd column on the right, i had all trues basically. i dont know if that made any sense...

there are two columns with t, t, ce questions. Within each column, there is a TF TF CE. In the middle TF, I got all trues basically on the second column.

By Bigman82085 (Bigman82085) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 07:16 pm: Edit

I got all trues on the right in the second column also.

By Fourwhat (Fourwhat) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 09:25 pm: Edit

Finally, what did everybody get for the question: "What products will form if NaHCO3 and HCl react"?

Definately CO2 NaCl and H2O

By Chrisy (Chrisy) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 09:31 pm: Edit

co2 (g)?
I didn't put h2o (l)
because I thought it produces h2o (g)

By Billiam2 (Billiam2) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 10:25 pm: Edit

right, but i dont think NaCl was an option.

By Bigman82085 (Bigman82085) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 01:32 am: Edit

But NaCl is soluable, so it would produce in solution Na+ ions. I put all three.

By Billiam2 (Billiam2) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 11:22 am: Edit

yeah i think that should be right. Im cancelling my scores, though.

By Becks777 (Becks777) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 11:30 am: Edit

i m so screwed........what score do u get if u have like 20 wrong??

By Chrisy (Chrisy) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 12:21 pm: Edit

You'll probably get a 720?

By Becks777 (Becks777) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 08:36 pm: Edit

oh....thats not that bad!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page