Oct 11 Writing essay discussion

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: October 2003 Archive: Oct 11 Writing essay discussion
By Snissn (Snissn) on Friday, October 10, 2003 - 10:50 pm: Edit

post your opinions on the topic here

By Nealyac (Nealyac) on Friday, October 10, 2003 - 10:54 pm: Edit

what was the topic again?

By Jason817 (Jason817) on Friday, October 10, 2003 - 10:54 pm: Edit

I dont think many people have seen the topic yet

By Amian (Amian) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 02:27 pm: Edit

I forget the exact prompt but it was something like, "Something that people overestimate is _______"

By Imeleet (Imeleet) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 06:36 pm: Edit

I used physical health. Some people take it to the extreme and it becomes an obsession. Is it alright if I only had one example?

By Imeleet (Imeleet) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 06:51 pm: Edit

Ignore

By Congresssenator (Congresssenator) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 07:07 pm: Edit

I used power. I realized 15 minutes in that I did what everyone else did and wrote on "underestimation"-- I originally used history for that.

But wow, I'm really happy I churned out the full 2 pages with 2 paragraphs of analysis-- using Kurtz from Heart of Darkness and Julius Caesar being victims of power.

By Bnp182 (Bnp182) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 07:13 pm: Edit

I wrote about people overestimate the value of material goods. Talked about Siddhartha, my previous obsession with nice clothes, and Grendel and the materialistic dragon. I too, started with underestimation of freedom, it was a great essay...until I had to erase it all. Oh well. I somehow finished both the pages on materialism. Too tell you the truth, I was •••• scared when I saw the topic was overestimation, not underestimation, about 10 minutes in!

By Futureal (Futureal) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 07:16 pm: Edit

wow it seems like the prompt confused a lot of people today

By Curious42886 (Curious42886) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 07:32 pm: Edit

Frankly, I don't understand how so many people confused underestimate with overestimate. It's not like the letters look similar...
That's why I think (and hope) that the College Board gave out two different topics—one on underestimation, the other on overestimation.

By Fairyofwind2 (Fairyofwind2) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 07:33 pm: Edit

People often overestimate the importance of flowery prose and formal language..

I go into a huge literary discussion using George Orwell's "Politics and the English Language" and later Lincoln's Gettysburg Address to prove my point.

By Canadian_Idol (Canadian_Idol) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 07:34 pm: Edit

Ha I thought it was underestimate too but i realized after like 2 mins

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page