# OFFICIAL SAT II WRITING DISCUSSION TOPIC

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: October 2003 Archive: # OFFICIAL SAT II WRITING DISCUSSION TOPIC
By Alexevan (Alexevan) on Friday, October 10, 2003 - 07:50 pm: Edit

I am prestarting this topic to accomodate a jumble of posts that may will come in within the next 16 or so hours (some overseas students are taking it right now).

This topic is for all of your questions. It is easier for all of us to gather all posts regarding a single subject in one large thread. As I received a 780 myself on this particular SAT II, I would be happy to assist with any problem.

By Fourwhat (Fourwhat) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 02:23 am: Edit

I have taken the Writing Test. Liked the topic very much.

By Wjsidis (Wjsidis) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 02:28 am: Edit

what was it about?

By Fourwhat (Fourwhat) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 02:30 am: Edit

=)

By Snissn (Snissn) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 07:14 am: Edit

grr why can't anyone who took this test in turkey post rt now...?

By Fairyofwind2 (Fairyofwind2) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 10:13 am: Edit

The Writing "Error Identify" section was so rough. Actually... n/m. There are supposed to be 5-8 NO error's/test. I got 7.

By Unclesamisgay (Unclesamisgay) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 10:25 am: Edit

yo i just took the writing test. For my topic, i wrote about how people overestimate the importance of acceptance by society. I had The Scarlet Letter, Holocaust (Hitler wanted to pesecute those who didnt fit it), and high school. Can someone comment on these essays? I had 5 no errors, how bout u guys? is "contesting against" a diction error? some1 plz comment thanks

By Unclesamisgay (Unclesamisgay) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 10:28 am: Edit

how much u guys write?

By Achtung (Achtung) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 10:31 am: Edit

"contesting against" yeah, I put that down for diction.

By Fourwhat (Fourwhat) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 10:32 am: Edit

mine was somewhat DIFFERENT. (there goes your plans for CHEATING!)
Erm, I wrote about how people overestimate the importance of being well-organized.
Arghh. Hope I get at least a ten.

unclesamisgay, one page and a little at the back

By Fairyofwind2 (Fairyofwind2) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 10:33 am: Edit

Hopefully you can get 2-3 wrong and still get an 800 with a 12 on the essay... which I'm pretty sure I got. I wrote 1.75 pages on a very good topic... but looks like I just that diction problem wrong. Hey did you guys get a few no errors bunched together?

By Achtung (Achtung) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 10:34 am: Edit

I wrote about how people overestimate standardized tests... An ironic topic because now I think I bombed that test. I wrote one page and 3/4 of the second page.

By Unclesamisgay (Unclesamisgay) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 10:39 am: Edit

was one of the other diction ones the one with "conformality"

By Unclesamisgay (Unclesamisgay) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 10:39 am: Edit

also, someone PLZ take a look at my topics--wrote two pages

By Unclesamisgay (Unclesamisgay) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 10:41 am: Edit

haha sry but another question, the one with the african improving paragraphs....instead of so....i chose "nevertheless" other choices were "this being", "furthermore"......o and the last question about muscle and cells, was the answer C? c made no sense

By Fairyofwind2 (Fairyofwind2) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 10:42 am: Edit

Okay that's enough revealing questions.

By Fairyofwind2 (Fairyofwind2) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 11:34 am: Edit

All right. By now Pacific is already at testing center taking the test. So back to the multiple choice, did anyone here get "EEDE" for 17,18,19,20 on the Error ID?

By Unclesamisgay (Unclesamisgay) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 11:39 am: Edit

no

By Madrigal (Madrigal) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 11:40 am: Edit

That souds familiar although I think I changed one of those E's. I wrote about reputation.

By Mazzo (Mazzo) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 11:50 am: Edit

OMG NO!!!! was it overestimate?? I wrote about underestimating!!!! HOLY ••••!!!!!!!! Im so screwed. What should i do???? HELP!

By Fairyofwind2 (Fairyofwind2) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 11:53 am: Edit

Cancel? Is "measured in terms of" instead of "measured by" a diction error. How many NO ERRORS did you have on the second error ID section.

By Mazzo (Mazzo) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 11:58 am: Edit

how do i go about canceling?

By Max (Max) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 12:18 pm: Edit

Uncle Sam, I'm pretty sure you got that question about the muscle cells right...there was a definite problem with the verb in answer C

By Unclesamisgay (Unclesamisgay) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 12:26 pm: Edit

i got 3 on the second section, how bout u fairydude?

By Unclesamisgay (Unclesamisgay) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 12:28 pm: Edit

will somebody please look at what i wrote for my essay?!?!?!?!??!

By Fairyofwind2 (Fairyofwind2) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 12:28 pm: Edit

Yea I think it should be three. The simultaneous one was wrong due to the wordiness "at the same time." I'm not sure about whether it was "measured in terms of" or "measured by" though. And I got 3 no errors in the 1st section too.

By Unclesamisgay (Unclesamisgay) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 12:35 pm: Edit

HOW BOUT MY ESSAY? anyone plz help

By Unclesamisgay (Unclesamisgay) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 12:38 pm: Edit

i wrote that people overestimate the importance of acceptance.....make sense?!?! i had scarlet letter---hester proves she does not need to be accepted, holocaust----germans are convinced that jews are misfits and so punish them, high school-------pressure to "fit in" i am worried that my thesis is weak.....people overestimate the importance of acceptance because if the jews were accepted into society, then they would not have been persecuted, yet they were persecuted because too much importance was placed ON acceptance::someone..anyone?!

By Blarrgh (Blarrgh) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 12:43 pm: Edit

I got 7 no error total for all of Identifying errors section. My essay was also the one about overrating-- I took an easy approach and wrote about physical strength and gave examples on when it failed (eg. Othello, Britain, personal experiences). Hopefully I get more than a 10 on the essay... Wasn't really confident on the multiple choice part though... at all.

By Unclesamisgay (Unclesamisgay) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 12:51 pm: Edit

i got A for 1,2,3

By Kikikoo (Kikikoo) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 01:01 pm: Edit

Unclesamisgay, your essay is FINE. I'm sure they'll love your three examples.
I wrote about overestimating the importance of knowledge (yucky). I think what I meant was scientific advancement...I used Cat's Cradle and Frankenstein.

For the MC, the last question for the 1st improving paragraph was on the function the last sentence (something about it took father's comment to allow grandma and her aunt to see their relationship). I put E...but I think it might have been B??

By Oniyate (Oniyate) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 01:03 pm: Edit

it's reflection... as in the last line was a reflection on the whole situation of the grandma versus everyone else.

By Oniyate (Oniyate) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 01:05 pm: Edit

does anyone remember number one? it's the question with thorough...

By Mastamac286 (Mastamac286) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 01:06 pm: Edit

Hey do you guys think my scoring will be messed up if there are a few stray marks on my paper...I put question marks outside 3 questions on the answer sheet and forgot to erase them. I put these question marks outside the number of the question so they were not next to any of the circles.

By Achtung (Achtung) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 01:10 pm: Edit

they should be fine... unless one of your marks went into or next to the circles, then you are screwed

By Prada (Prada) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 01:11 pm: Edit

unclesamisgay
i wrote like the same thesis as you
i also used scarlet letter...and i used the revolutionary war
i thought mine made sense...hopefully

By Jokemaker (Jokemaker) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 01:13 pm: Edit

I got AABB for the first 4

By Mastamac286 (Mastamac286) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 01:14 pm: Edit

"For the MC, the last question for the 1st improving paragraph was on the function the last sentence (something about it took father's comment to allow grandma and her aunt to see their relationship). I put E...but I think it might have been B?? "

I think i put the one about the main idea for this

Also do you guys remember what you got for the 3rd to last one about the imprving pararagraph about the islanders. It wanted you to revise as sentence did you leave it as is?

By Oniyate (Oniyate) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 01:15 pm: Edit

I remember leaving one as is in the islanders paragraph

By Mastamac286 (Mastamac286) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 01:17 pm: Edit

thanks dude =).....

also for the essay i wrote that the imprtance of money is overestimated...

I used gatsby and Huck Finn

I said Gatsby tried to get rich and get Diasy but it failed.. and Huck was unhappy when he discovered a fortune

By Smac86 (Smac86) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 01:21 pm: Edit

In my essay, what happens if I gave very generic examples, rather than specific examples? I wrote the some people overestimate the importance of winning/money....
Please tell me if I'll lose out because of this?

By Sandy (Sandy) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 01:21 pm: Edit

Masta that is exactly what I wrote about. However, I used Enron, suicide, and security, etc. Stupid ME....

By Achtung (Achtung) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 01:25 pm: Edit

does anyone know the curve on this test? I've heard some rumors that people had 8 wrongs and a 11 essay on the june test and still managed a 790

By Futureal (Futureal) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 01:34 pm: Edit

on the June test i got 7 MC wrong, omitted 1 MC, and got 11/12 on the essay for an 800.

By Unclesamisgay (Unclesamisgay) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 01:53 pm: Edit

number 3---the one with "the traffic was so crowded and the crowd so dense" i did A since the phrase "the crowd so dense" is not parallel with "traffic was so crowded"

By Deepak (Deepak) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 01:59 pm: Edit

unclesamisgay, I did the word "as", i think that was C or something.

By Amian (Amian) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 02:21 pm: Edit

Hmm, I wrote about how people overestimate the importance of going to a prestigious college. Now some people are telling me you're supposed to include at least 1 personal, historical, and literary example? I included historial examples of leaders and other successful people but didn't put anything from literature or my own personal experiences since I haven't gone to college yet. Felt good about the essay after writing it, the style was good, but I'm beginning to feel like the content may not have been up to snuff, are those 3 examples thing something they look for on every essay?

By Mastamac286 (Mastamac286) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 02:34 pm: Edit

i got aabb first 4 also

By Sherlock1 (Sherlock1) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 04:35 pm: Edit

i got three A's in a row for the first three questions and i got three E's in a row on the last 10 and only 1 E on the first 20. I believe I got E,E,E,D for numbers 55,56,57,58. Did anyone else get that??

By Sandy (Sandy) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 04:36 pm: Edit

Can someone remind me of the first 3 questions? I feel like I never took the test...can't remember a thing

By Sherlock1 (Sherlock1) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 04:37 pm: Edit

i got three A's in a row for the first three questions and i got three E's in a row on the last 10 and only 1 E on the first 20. I believe I got E,E,E,D for numbers 55,56,57,58. Did anyone else get that??

By Sandy (Sandy) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 05:03 pm: Edit

What were the questions, people? Give me the 1st three qs.

By Bnp182 (Bnp182) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 05:08 pm: Edit

What about the one with FOR american standards....one of the last 10 questions. Did you mark FOR because it should be BY?? or is that wrong

What about the sentence correction. How many A's did you guys get.

By Abz1986 (Abz1986) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 05:11 pm: Edit

"OMG NO!!!! was it overestimate?? I wrote about underestimating!!!! HOLY ••••!!!!!!!! Im so screwed. What should i do???? HELP"

Yea me too.... I realized right after the writing test when some other guys were talking about it. I wrote about underestimating the value of history. But my first sentence was something like: "People overestimate the importance of history." The rest of the essay tells about how important history is because past mistakes won't be repeated. You think they'll take it as a clarity error or something and think I wanted to say: "People overestimate the unimportance of history" (well that doesnt make sense but you know what I mean) and grade the rest of my essay as it is? I dunno, I just hope I don't get like two 0's or 1's or whatever for the essay, because I did OK on the multiple choice section.

O BTW I didn't finish my last sentence in my essay... how much will that hurt me?

By Sandy (Sandy) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 05:12 pm: Edit

I didn't get many As on sentence correction. That is kinda scaring me.

By Sandy (Sandy) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 05:12 pm: Edit

By Sherlock1 (Sherlock1) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 05:35 pm: Edit

By Sherlock1 (Sherlock1) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 06:51 pm: Edit

bump

By Sherlock1 (Sherlock1) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 06:54 pm: Edit

what did ya'll put for the question that was like: The traffic was so heavy and the crowd so dense as the mother gripped her young child's arm. I put the crowed so dense (A) since it was not paralled with the traffic so heavy. I was thinking about as (B) though. What did everyone else put? Also, i got three A's in a row for the first three questions and i got three E's in a row on the last 10 and only 1 E on the first 20. I believe I got E,E,E,D for numbers 55,56,57,58. Did anyone else get that??

By Sandy (Sandy) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 06:56 pm: Edit

I think I put B. Could you write the whole sentence?

By Bnp182 (Bnp182) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 07:04 pm: Edit

Hey, what about the one with FOR american standards...(it was in the last 10 on the test). What did you guys put. I put FOR is wrong, because I think it should be BY. I am really really not sure though. Opinions??

By Fairyofwind2 (Fairyofwind2) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 07:31 pm: Edit

Yes it's wrong.

By Unclesamisgay (Unclesamisgay) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 07:48 pm: Edit

i wrote that people overestimate the importance of acceptance.....make sense?!?! i had scarlet letter---hester proves she does not need to be accepted, holocaust----germans are convinced that jews are misfits and so punish them, high school-------pressure to "fit in" i am worried that my thesis is weak.....people overestimate the importance of acceptance because if the jews were accepted into society, then they would not have been persecuted, yet they were persecuted because too much importance was placed ON acceptance::someone..anyone?!

By Unclesamisgay (Unclesamisgay) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 07:49 pm: Edit

can some1 plz explain y #3 was B instead of A..i thought A was not parallel........LOOK AT MY ESSAY SOMEONE?!

By Canadian_Idol (Canadian_Idol) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 07:52 pm: Edit

I think i put b for sherlock's question. the crowd was so dense that the mother gripped...blahblah.

By Hikarikun (Hikarikun) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 08:14 pm: Edit

I screwed =(

By Confetti (Confetti) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 08:32 pm: Edit

i said that people overestimate the importance of appearances and used plastic surgery, the great gatsby, and glossy advertising as examples.

do you guys remember the "no error" and the same as questions. i didn't mark enough questions correct as is as i should have.

By Jimjunior (Jimjunior) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 08:46 pm: Edit

I said that people overestimate the importance of intelligence and used Huckleberry Finn and the quote "genius is 1% inspiration 99% perspiration"

the first 4 were AABB

By Fourwhat (Fourwhat) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 08:54 pm: Edit

yup, me too. the first 20 questions or so had only a few A's

Aggrhh.. my essay was terrible..

By Chrisy (Chrisy) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 09:39 pm: Edit

I know I only got 3 a's on sentence completion and about 6 e's on usage questions.
Ok, is it "delegates to the convention" or "delegates of the convention"?
And what about on the sentence corrections "mount rushmore?"

By Fairyofwind2 (Fairyofwind2) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 10:27 pm: Edit

delegates of the convention!

By Mastamac (Mastamac) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 10:46 pm: Edit

so that was wrong write the error was in to the convention??

By Mastamac (Mastamac) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 10:47 pm: Edit

right*

By Jrc007 (Jrc007) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 11:31 pm: Edit

I think the error in the delegate one was that "contesting against" is redundant...contesting is implied to be against something, and I believe "delegates TO the convention" is grammatically correct.

I don't know how all of you remember what answer you put for what question and how many of each letter!

By Nealyac (Nealyac) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 11:58 pm: Edit

"OMG NO!!!! was it overestimate?? I wrote about underestimating!!!! HOLY ••••!!!!!!!! Im so screwed. What should i do???? HELP"

Yea me too.... I realized right after the writing test when some other guys were talking about it. I wrote about underestimating the value of history. But my first sentence was something like: "People overestimate the importance of history." The rest of the essay tells about how important history is because past mistakes won't be repeated. You think they'll take it as a clarity error or something and think I wanted to say: "People overestimate the unimportance of history" (well that doesnt make sense but you know what I mean) and grade the rest of my essay as it is? I dunno, I just hope I don't get like two 0's or 1's or whatever for the essay, because I did OK on the multiple choice section.

abz i did the same exact thing that you did! i write about history and my first line was the same as yours. what do you think is going to happen to us>?

By Abz1986 (Abz1986) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 12:22 am: Edit

Well Nealyac, as a great scholar once said:

we're ••••ed

Hopefully these are nice people who understand that kids who misread one part of a word should not be denied a better college (I think a 460 on writing would make a difference in admissions), especially if that kid doesn't have a previous writing score and don't have time to retake writing to meet for admissions.

By Purgeofdoors (Purgeofdoors) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 12:41 am: Edit

I got 2 A's on sentence correction

6 E's on usage

Most of the questions were fairly easy. But what was the deal with the "...not lesser of an authority than..."

What was the correct answer for that?

By Jrc007 (Jrc007) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 12:47 am: Edit

I thought "no less an authority than"

By Skysurfer (Skysurfer) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 03:16 am: Edit

Hey every1...wow it feels so nice to see tht ur answers match.In the first section of usage i got 5 e's none together and in the second 2 e's none together. In correction, i got 2 a's together. Im pretty sure as i checkd. Was the mount rushmore thingy e ? essay was ok.... can some more ppl tell how much they got and what raw score and essay score they had ?

By Jrc007 (Jrc007) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 11:53 am: Edit

Sherlock1:

"The traffic was so heavy..." one

"The traffic was so heavy and the crowd so dense" IS parallel. I believe the "as" was wrong...I think it should be that. With "as," the sentence would be a fragment, or at least very incoherent. "That" makes it a simple cause-effect sentence.

By Chrisy (Chrisy) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 12:19 pm: Edit

dudes I think it is "delegates to the convention". in amercian his.

By Fairyofwind (Fairyofwind) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 12:20 pm: Edit

Was "contesting against" also in the delegates question.

By Jrc007 (Jrc007) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 02:56 pm: Edit

Yes

By Jrc007 (Jrc007) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 02:56 pm: Edit

(Sorry, accidental double post)

By Tenniscassieo (Tenniscassieo) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 03:12 pm: Edit

"people often overestimate the importance of THE SAT" ahhhhhh haha

By Ageorgis (Ageorgis) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 03:49 pm: Edit

I didn't freakin finish my Essay :( I got stopped on the third paragraph without a complete paragraph or a conclusion paragraph... The essay up until that point was very well constructed, however... Any idea how bad that will hurt my overall score?

From the rest of the Writing exam, it seemed pretty darn easy, actually... Alot easier than that Literature SAT II that I took right afterwards... That sucked BIG TIME!!! Especially since I've never taken any classes teaching me about poetry (long story!)

By Curious42886 (Curious42886) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 04:38 pm: Edit

Did anyone else think their topic was UNDERESTIMATE?

By Tennizpro06 (Tennizpro06) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 05:03 pm: Edit

oh jeez, i was so screwed with time. Anyone know how well I'd do with like .. we'll guess 8 wrong mc and like a 9 on essay? i also thought this was nothing like my practice tests..

for the essay, i also did not use specific examples. (i wrote about overestimating the use of racial quotas for college admissions). oh jeez, i think this will be a retake..

By Tennizpro06 (Tennizpro06) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 05:05 pm: Edit

does anyone remember the quetion about the guy and his wife.. some spanish guy or something?? and the environment and major companies one?

By Sheila (Sheila) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 06:28 pm: Edit

I thought that is was underestimate and I don't have time to retake the test and this was my first time taking it. There is no way my essay event fits "overestimate"

By Tennizpro06 (Tennizpro06) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 07:25 pm: Edit

sheila, why not time to retake?

By Curious42886 (Curious42886) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 08:35 pm: Edit

Sheila,

How sure are you that your prompt said UNDERESTIMATE?

By Fairyofwind (Fairyofwind) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 08:43 pm: Edit

The exact prompt
was:

"People often overestimate the importance of _____."

By Abz1986 (Abz1986) on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 12:35 am: Edit

^
|

Yep, well said Fairyofwind. Curious, I don't think there is an underestimate prompt.

By Skysurfer (Skysurfer) on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 12:36 am: Edit

Can people please stop discussing the essay and move to the mcq's. How many no errors and a's did u get ? does any one know about recent curves of the writing ?

By Rashmi (Rashmi) on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 08:14 am: Edit

I've forgotten most of the questions by now and the no of e's and a's and things like that....

For my essay I wrote on how people overestimate the importance of outer appearance. And then I went on to say that inner values are more important. But it was still quite ••••••!!!!! :-(

By Curious42886 (Curious42886) on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 09:55 pm: Edit

BUMP

By Abz1986 (Abz1986) on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 11:23 pm: Edit

What's wrong with discussing the essay skysurfer? If you want to talk about MCQ then go ahead.

By Lt_Clyde_Frog (Lt_Clyde_Frog) on Tuesday, October 14, 2003 - 12:29 am: Edit

I almost started to write on underestimating but caught myself before i wrote anything. I ended up writing about how people overstimate the value of making money. Basically i wrote about people getting crappy jobs for big salaries even though it makes them unhappy.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page