# OFFICIAL SAT II MATH IIC DISCUSSION TOPIC

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: October 2003 Archive: # OFFICIAL SAT II MATH IIC DISCUSSION TOPIC
By Alexevan (Alexevan) on Friday, October 10, 2003 - 07:49 pm: Edit

I am prestarting this topic to accomodate a jumble of posts that may will come in within the next 16 or so hours (some overseas students are taking it right now).

This topic is for all of your questions. It is easier for all of us to gather all posts regarding a single subject in one large thread. As I received an 800 myself on this particular SAT II, I would be happy to assist with any problem.

By Jason817 (Jason817) on Friday, October 10, 2003 - 07:52 pm: Edit

hardest parts on 2c:
permutations/combinations. I never know when to use nPr or nCr. I know that C depends on order or something but I dont understand.

sequences: I keep forgetting the damn formulas for arithmetic/geometric series

matrices: never learned so I would have to omit them.

By Godis (Godis) on Friday, October 10, 2003 - 08:11 pm: Edit

i don't know, i know i will do poorly, as my barron's scores are somewhat low. oh well, what the hell.

By Alexevan (Alexevan) on Friday, October 10, 2003 - 08:12 pm: Edit

Use combinations when the order in which your objects are selected does NOT matter, and permutations when it DOES.

For example, when you must find all arrangements of two letters from the word DOG, you have 3P2 choices: DO, DG, OG, OD, GD, and GO.

When order does NOT matter you have DO, DG, and OG only, or 3C2.

There are two types of sequences, arithmetic and geometric. Arithmetic sequences are of the form An+1 = An+d(n+1) a constant is being added to every term.

Geometric sequences are where a constant is being MULTIPLIED to every term. tn+1 = tn*r^(n-1)

Some sequences are neither arithmetic nor geometric.

Matrices are simply a table of numbers. You can usually go by the SAT II without knowing them.

By Sandy (Sandy) on Friday, October 10, 2003 - 08:20 pm: Edit

I believe the arithmetic sequence one is :An=A1+d(n-1)

By Sandy (Sandy) on Friday, October 10, 2003 - 08:23 pm: Edit

I had a question. I have taken a lot of practice tests and have never seen double-identity and half-identity trig. formulas being tested. Are they actually on the real test?

By Alexevan (Alexevan) on Friday, October 10, 2003 - 08:25 pm: Edit

Sandy, you are correct. Sorry, it was an oversight.

I, having taken the test a year ago, have NOT seen double and half identities on the test. =)

By Testtaker (Testtaker) on Friday, October 10, 2003 - 08:27 pm: Edit

What is the difference between a sequence and a series?

By Billiam2 (Billiam2) on Friday, October 10, 2003 - 08:29 pm: Edit

how about vectors?

By Lbtg42 (Lbtg42) on Friday, October 10, 2003 - 08:37 pm: Edit

sorry this is just a little offtopic but can someone tell me really quick what grade it is best to take the IIC in and what math courses you need.

and lastly, what exactly is 'math analysis'- the only real math course after alegbra II in my school, is it like trig/precalc?

would algebra II be enough to take this test next time around or should i wait to finish math analysis?

By Twsmhs (Twsmhs) on Friday, October 10, 2003 - 08:49 pm: Edit

I'm getting low-mid 30s on Barron's practice tests, what would I get on the real thing?

thanks

By Billiam2 (Billiam2) on Friday, October 10, 2003 - 09:16 pm: Edit

Lbtg: People usually classify mathematics into 4 areas: algebra, number theory, topology, and analysis. Analysis is not like trig/precalc, but it is usually taught in college. So unless if it's a college level course, i have no clue what 'math analysis' is.

By Mekker3 (Mekker3) on Friday, October 10, 2003 - 09:46 pm: Edit

oyyy... I thought that I would do well on IIC, but on the practice tests, I've been unable to come even close to finishing... Does anyone have any tips of how to save time!!... I'm always a slow worker, but this is just TOO slow!

Twsmhs... someone said that Barron's is extraordinarily hard and that 700 on Barrons is likely to equal 750-800 on the real test...

By Jason817 (Jason817) on Friday, October 10, 2003 - 09:56 pm: Edit

Ti 89 = ultimate time-saver

If you know how to use it and use it to its fullest, you WILL get 650+ and MOST LIKELY a 700+.

By Mekker3 (Mekker3) on Friday, October 10, 2003 - 10:04 pm: Edit

I have it... and I know how to use it (pretty) well... but, I'm still not finishing.... I'm getting above a 700 on practice tests, but I wish that I was able to get to the last questions to raise my score....

Also... does anyone know where the i (as in imaginary #) button is on the ti-89?

By Jason817 (Jason817) on Friday, October 10, 2003 - 10:13 pm: Edit

check the symbol on the top-left of Catalog

By Godis (Godis) on Friday, October 10, 2003 - 10:17 pm: Edit

shift catalog.

what if my calculator has no programs? am i screwed?

By Jason817 (Jason817) on Friday, October 10, 2003 - 10:33 pm: Edit

no, everything you need is built it. You DO WANT formulas stored it though.

By Jason817 (Jason817) on Friday, October 10, 2003 - 10:34 pm: Edit

no, everything you need is built it. You DO WANT formulas stored it though.

By Ihatesats (Ihatesats) on Friday, October 10, 2003 - 10:56 pm: Edit

Can someone please give me a list of ALL formulas on the TI-89 Math IIC program?

I don't have a TI-89 and am planning to purchase one; however, it won't be delievered in time for tomorrow morning's test.

I will type them on my TI-83 and use it for now.

Thanks in advance.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page