TI-89 instead?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: October 2003 Archive: TI-89 instead?
By Thorneforrester (Thorneforrester) on Friday, October 10, 2003 - 05:28 pm: Edit

I suck at math. Have a TI-83 Silver Plus. Should I have gotten a TI-89 instead?

I'd like to know for the next test, or even tomorrow's test if you feel it's worth it.

Any good programs/apps I should have? Registered for tomorrow.

Thank you.

By Ricefry (Ricefry) on Friday, October 10, 2003 - 05:35 pm: Edit

yes, definitely. ti-89 is the ONLY way to go

By Xiggi (Xiggi) on Friday, October 10, 2003 - 05:40 pm: Edit

89 would help for SAT-IIC.

For SAT-1, any calculator will do just fine.

By Thorneforrester (Thorneforrester) on Friday, October 10, 2003 - 05:50 pm: Edit

Ricefry, is it worth having my dad buy it right now?

A friend of mine claims he was just able to plug in practically all of the math section with no worries. It sounds like a fantasy. Is there any truth to it?

By Thorneforrester (Thorneforrester) on Friday, October 10, 2003 - 05:55 pm: Edit

By the way, he's near an Office Max right now. It wouldn't be a big deal for him to drop in and grab one. I just need a response asap.

Thank you.

By Thorneforrester (Thorneforrester) on Friday, October 10, 2003 - 06:39 pm: Edit

Anyone? Thanks.

By Xiggi (Xiggi) on Friday, October 10, 2003 - 06:41 pm: Edit

Well, since you can return calculators, why not pick it up?

However, in case you missed it earlier, the TI-89 wont do you a bit a good for the SAT-1. Actually, if you buy tonight, it WILL hurt you. There is no way you'll learn the calculator the NIGHT before the tests.

Again, it will be helpful for the SAT-II, but for some reason, I doubt that you are signed up for that one.

By Montydsw11 (Montydsw11) on Friday, October 10, 2003 - 06:42 pm: Edit

thorne, sure, get it if you want. However, it WONT help you if you aren't good at math, and moreover it takes TIME to learn how to use. If you go into the test with a calculator you aren't comfortable with, you are at a huge disadvantage.

My advice? By it now, if you want, and spend a month or so getting used to it. Use it on NEXT MONTHS test...

By Btbam (Btbam) on Friday, October 10, 2003 - 06:57 pm: Edit

i have a similar question. Although i believe myself to be strong at math (satI 800m and 5's calc ab/bc), i think i have forgotten a TON of stuff since i've done it. I am signed up for the SAT II's math IIC on nov 1st, and have a TI-83. Will getting an 89 help a ton? (i forgot most of the probability/matrix stuff)

By Neona (Neona) on Friday, October 10, 2003 - 07:00 pm: Edit

The 89 will help A LOT more than the 83 will -- provided you know how to use it by then.

By Xiggi (Xiggi) on Friday, October 10, 2003 - 07:02 pm: Edit

Btbam~

Do a search on the CC board with the key "89", you'll see a number of threads for the SAT-II.

I believe that you'll find it invaluable -albeit not essential- for the SAT-II. If you get it, make usre to download the FAT manual at the TI-site.

By Jason817 (Jason817) on Friday, October 10, 2003 - 07:19 pm: Edit

In short,

For SAT I Math: it doesn't matter.
For SAT II Math: without an 89, good luck.

By Deeznuts33442 (Deeznuts33442) on Friday, October 10, 2003 - 08:42 pm: Edit

However, DO NOT try to use it on the ACT. It is disallowed on that exam, as is any calculator that has built-in algebraic functions (92, etc). My friend couldn't use a calculator b/c he just brought the 89. An 83 is okay, and so is an 85. THe 89, however, is the best for SAT2 if u know how to use it

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page