How important is the PSAT/NMSQT?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: October 2003 Archive: How important is the PSAT/NMSQT?
By Number9 (Number9) on Thursday, October 09, 2003 - 08:03 pm: Edit

This is the big year for me and the PSAT. I really would like to acheive a NM-worthy score, but I feel I've slacked off way too much. I am working on my progress to the SAT, though. I have gotten abysmal scores on past SAT and past PSATS (1100, 146, 148). I'm just not really good at reasoning tests, and I never really studied well for any of those.

However, now I'm well on my way to memorize Gruber's word list, and my verbal score is improving rapidly. I am on the math refresher (albeit struggling, Im starting to raise my score. Not a whole lot, though.)

So it is very dubious I will make NM by the time the 21st rolls around. I really would like to get into Cornell (or something around that level of school).

I have good grades (Straight A's sometimes a few B's.), I've been told my ECs are good, and when I finally take this SAT when Im truly ready and get a 1400+ score, but how important will this PSAT score be for me (if I continue to get good grades, maxing out my schedule, keeping up ECs, and eventually a high SAT score)?

By Number9 (Number9) on Friday, October 10, 2003 - 08:48 am: Edit

bump.

By Beenthereil (Beenthereil) on Friday, October 10, 2003 - 11:26 am: Edit

The PSAT score determines whether or not you continue along in the scholarship process. Nice to be a Commended Scholar. Nicer to be a Semi-Finalist; and, of course, best to be a National Merit Scholarship Finalist.

The PSAT scores either opens or closes the door.

By Lefty (Lefty) on Friday, October 10, 2003 - 02:13 pm: Edit

No pressure though! It is just your whole academic future at stake. ;)

By Number9 (Number9) on Friday, October 10, 2003 - 04:29 pm: Edit

>>The PSAT score determines whether or not you continue along in the scholarship process.

So if I get a mediocre score, I cant get ANY scholarships? Of course I can't the NM scholarship.

I know getting a NM looks great for colleges, but I've always been under the impression that that the PSAT can only help those who get good scores, and SATs far outweigh it.

By Number9 (Number9) on Friday, October 10, 2003 - 07:31 pm: Edit

bump

By Billiam2 (Billiam2) on Friday, October 10, 2003 - 07:38 pm: Edit

You dont need to worry about getting scholarships with a 148.

By Number9 (Number9) on Friday, October 10, 2003 - 08:35 pm: Edit

Im sure Ill do a bit better than 148 now...

By Billiam2 (Billiam2) on Friday, October 10, 2003 - 09:24 pm: Edit

for clarification, the 148 is for 2 scores right? not including writing.

By Andy7733 (Andy7733) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 04:52 pm: Edit

how'd you take the PSATs twice already? i guess at least one of them is a practice test. in any case, PSATs are just that, practice/preliminary SATs. good if you do well, but if you dont, no big deal. consider them decent practice for SAT I and SAT II writing (or the new SAT I).

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page