MATH QUESTION HELP

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: October 2003 Archive: MATH QUESTION HELP
By Akaflex (Akaflex) on Monday, October 06, 2003 - 12:19 pm: Edit

In order for a rectangular box to be shipped by a certain mailing service, the sum of the height of the box and the perimeter of the base of the box must be less than or equal to 108 inches. If a box that is shipped by this mailing service has height 30 inches and width 18 inches, what is the maximum possible length of the box?

A- 12 in
B- 21 in
C- 30 in
D- 42 in
E- 60 in

CAN SUM1 EXPLAIN STEP BY STEP PLZ

By Akaflex (Akaflex) on Monday, October 06, 2003 - 01:02 pm: Edit

Also another one PIC IS IN PROFILE

In the figure, three adjacent squares each have one side on the x-axis. If vertices A, B, and C lie on line l, and the squares have sides of lengths 2, 3, and t, respectively, what is the value of t?

Can sum1 plez explain

By Xiggi (Xiggi) on Monday, October 06, 2003 - 01:18 pm: Edit

Aka~

What is the perimeter? l+l+w+w or 2l+2w

What is maximum dimension? h + 2l + 2w

What do you have? 30 +2(18)+2x = 108.

Take it from there!

By Xiggi (Xiggi) on Monday, October 06, 2003 - 01:28 pm: Edit

Aka~

Anything you could learn from looking at the right triangles formed by the squares and the line and its slope?

Your first triangle has a base of 2 and a height of (3-2) or 1. What would the slope of the hypo be?

Your second right traingle has a base of 3. The slope of the hypo is obviously the same. So, what could be the value of the height based on that same slope?

The height of the second triangle will give you the value of t by adding height to 3.

By Akaflex (Akaflex) on Monday, October 06, 2003 - 01:30 pm: Edit

lol thanks xiggi i kept drawing a rectangle and not a rectangular box so i was confused lol thanks man

By Akaflex (Akaflex) on Monday, October 06, 2003 - 01:35 pm: Edit

wow i almost had it i saw everything @ first when i took it but i never thought of slope rise and run. thanks xiggi once again i hope i am more aware on saturday

By Xiggi (Xiggi) on Monday, October 06, 2003 - 01:48 pm: Edit

No problemo.

I am pretty sure that the triangle problem is one of the hardest one could get on the SAT. Probably one of the last 2 in a test and a Level 5 problem.

By the way, since this is a grid-in, you could always guess an answer, even if not 100% sure. Guessing 4.5 would have been a pretty good educated guess considering the numbers 2,3 and 1 for first height.

Nothing to lose there :)

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page