Poodogg, please help me on SAT

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: October 2003 Archive: Poodogg, please help me on SAT
By Amylase (Amylase) on Sunday, October 05, 2003 - 11:43 pm: Edit

hi,

i'll take SAT this saturday, do you have any advice for me, especailly for the verbal section?

and for long term prep, i want to know how did you learnt the secondary meaning of words so well, and how did you sharpened your CR skills?

I have a high respect for you since you missed 0 question on verbal section.

Thanks

By Pookdogg (Pookdogg) on Monday, October 06, 2003 - 01:03 am: Edit

At this point Amylase, I think the best thing you can do is get yourself in what I call the "zen testing mode". You know that you've studied hard and long, as have the rest of us. Now isn't the time to feel nervous or inadequate: now is the time to show off, to boast the metaphorical fruits of your labor! When you take the exam on Saturday, you should think to yourself, "Hah! CollegeBoard thinks it has my number, but it has no idea how good I am!"

It's all about confidence. I know that you've taken many practice tests: just think of the SAT as another practice test. Everyone at CC knows that you work as diligently as anyone else.

Now, about long term work. When it comes to secondary meanings, wordlists aren't particularly helpful. All I can suggest is that you read. Not newspapers, although that is good for sentence completion/vocab purposes. I'm talking about literature, or even modern fiction or science fiction. Skilled authors often use rare meanings of common words.

Nonfiction books can also help with your CR score. These books usually have an underlying moral or point, which is similar to CR readings.

But all of that is for after this Saturday. For now, just remember: get a lot of sleep, eat a lot of fish and pasta, and listen to your favorite CDs. Just make yourself comfortable.

Nervousness = NO!
Confidence = YES!

Good luck! If you beat my 1590 with a 1600, I will hate you forever.

By Quarky (Quarky) on Monday, October 06, 2003 - 02:49 am: Edit

Hey Amylase,
Good luck on the SAT! Let me know how everything else is going. Where are you gonna apply this year?

By Highvocab (Highvocab) on Monday, October 06, 2003 - 08:29 am: Edit

best of luck!! rip that frickin verbal apart!! (remember to come back time to time and answer us un-shepherded sheep too).my the gods and goddesses of verbal smile down upon you.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page