How does your school do on AP tests?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: October 2003 Archive: How does your school do on AP tests?
By Encomium (Encomium) on Saturday, October 04, 2003 - 05:12 pm: Edit

just curious

I saw in the paper that my school has a 100% pass rate on:
English Language, English Literature, Spanish Language, Chemistry
Greater than 90%: U.S. History, Biology
Greater than 80%: Psychology, Calculus AB, Calculus BC, Physics B
Greater than 70%: Statistics and Probability, Latin Literature, French Language
Unknown: AP Studio Art

the most popular: AP Physics B: 61 people took it

just curious

By The007expert (The007expert) on Saturday, October 04, 2003 - 07:05 pm: Edit

My school: Only person to receive a 5 on the AP® US History exam out of around 60 students who took that exam during the 2000 exam administrations.

By Mychocopie (Mychocopie) on Saturday, October 04, 2003 - 08:00 pm: Edit

My school really doesnt have the support it needs for AP classes. We have less than a 20% pass (3>) rate for our 13 AP classes... In fact I think there was only one five last year in all 13 classes. I studied my behind off and got a three... but then again our class was taught like third grade. We watched movies everyday.

Kinda made me mad.

By Jason817 (Jason817) on Saturday, October 04, 2003 - 08:15 pm: Edit

Encomium - Thats insane

My school is a very good provate school and we have 67% pass for AP US History, about 80% pass for Calc AB, about 70% pass for Chem ap

By Encomium (Encomium) on Saturday, October 04, 2003 - 08:48 pm: Edit

my school is very good public, not like the best of the best (5 national merit semi's this year out of 440 students) though...good teachers in the ap classes however

By Chrisy (Chrisy) on Saturday, October 04, 2003 - 08:57 pm: Edit

My school:
American His: 75%
U.S. Gov: 63%
English Lit/Comp: 92%
Cal AB: 100%
Cal BC: 100% (from my class last year 10/12 got 5's and 2/12 got 4's).
Bio: 82%
I think good stats will hurt you if you do well. like a 5 on Cal won't mean that much).

By Number9 (Number9) on Saturday, October 04, 2003 - 09:08 pm: Edit

We only have 4 classes available.

Biology and USHistory can be taken as juniors, and Calc AB and Lit can be taken as seniors.

Im only a junior, and am in both Bio and USH. The teachers tell us 3s are the most common and good. Its what they're aiming for. However, I'm not ;)

By Takingiteasy (Takingiteasy) on Saturday, October 04, 2003 - 09:43 pm: Edit

My school does decent overall. The only weak part is in AP spanish, the class is small (around 10) but we only had one person pass last year. But in AP Physics B we had a 100 percent pass rate.

By Gianscolere (Gianscolere) on Saturday, October 04, 2003 - 11:30 pm: Edit

over 90% pass rate for all of them combined.

By Lefty9ak (Lefty9ak) on Sunday, October 05, 2003 - 12:29 am: Edit

My school sucks. I had the first 5's ever on Chem and Computer Science and the second 5 ever on US History. Our overall passing rate is probably about 25%

By Jimjunior (Jimjunior) on Sunday, October 05, 2003 - 03:51 am: Edit

My school only offers 4 APs, but we do very well on them. I tbugs me when colleges like the APs because they are supposedly standardized. At a lot of schools with way less than half passing, getting an A is nothing in an AP.

Calc BC: 100% pass, 100% receiving a 5 in the last two years

Calc AB: over 90% pass, 80% receiving 4 or 5

AP Euro: 90% pass, 65% get 4 or a 5

AP Lit: 80% pass, 70% with 4 or 5

By Chasgoose (Chasgoose) on Sunday, October 05, 2003 - 11:47 am: Edit

I think we generally see near 100% pass the AP tests. On the AP US History, we had 28 out of 32 get 5s and the rest got 4s.

By Thelazyone (Thelazyone) on Sunday, October 05, 2003 - 02:57 pm: Edit

Pretty similar for my school. I know 53 people took the BC Calculus, 47 got 5's, 4 got 4's and there was one 3.

By Useatoothbrush (Useatoothbrush) on Sunday, October 05, 2003 - 05:13 pm: Edit

We offer AP Calc AB, AP Phys B, AP English (both Lit and Lang, I think), AP Bio, AP Chem, AP Euro, and AP Gov. The pass rate for Calc was 100% (excluding two people who independently studied for it from the non-AP class and got 2's). I think that Bio and Gov were up in the 90%, and the rest in the 75-80% range. All of this except for AP Chem, which boasts a phenomenal 30% pass rate with only one or two 5's this year out of some 60 people taking it. That class is a blemish the school likes to overlook--you never hear about that in the same discussion as the WASL pass rates.

By 9331 (9331) on Sunday, October 05, 2003 - 05:40 pm: Edit

5 AP classes used to be offered: cal ab, chem, bio, lit, and us history. History was dropped 2 years after it was started because of the low passing rate. 5% the 1st year; 15% the 2nd year.
Last year 8 took the class for AP Chem, 3 took the test, only 1 passed. The class is now offered through the internet.
the other class usually have a passing rate of 80-90%.

Just curious, does your school (or your teacher) do anything to compensate for the fact that these AP classes are much harder than regular classes?

By Asknot11 (Asknot11) on Sunday, October 05, 2003 - 06:03 pm: Edit

92% pass rate in a combined 22 AP Classes.

By Hopkinslax (Hopkinslax) on Sunday, October 05, 2003 - 09:25 pm: Edit

The reason why enconium's school's rates are so high is because so few people take the AP classes...
In my school the most popular AP class has about 120 people
The only one i know off the back is:
Physics B: 95%
Physics BC: 100%

By Nhlgoalie (Nhlgoalie) on Monday, October 06, 2003 - 02:30 am: Edit

My 500 person school took maybe 1000 APs last year and we had a pass rate of just over 90%

It could be a lot higher, but many unqualified kids are allowed into APs. I myself got four 5s and I look forward to six or seven more this year!

Also some courses (Art History, Music Theory, Biology) that are AP are not taught towards the AP. So, for example, after biology my class knew a lot more biology than the average person who got a five on the AP, but we had learned more detailed stuff than the superficial AP topics.

By Bsarnold (Bsarnold) on Monday, October 06, 2003 - 09:52 pm: Edit

i have noticed that a lot of this has to do with the teachers.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page