Analogy + Sentence Completion Qs (SAT 1999 January Test)

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: October 2003 Archive: Analogy + Sentence Completion Qs (SAT 1999 January Test)
By Sssmachine (Sssmachine) on Saturday, October 04, 2003 - 04:06 pm: Edit

I could not come up with a definite answer for those questions, and if any of SAT expert can help me, I would appreciate your effort.

1. In the past, the regional spread of agricultural pests was ___ by ecological berriers, but a decline in crop diversity has weakened these ---.
a. impeded...defenses
b. infected...illnesses
c. defined...studies
d. rejected...increases
e. compounded...organisms

2. A scientist should not automatically reject folkways that might at first seem silly or superstitious; scientific qualifications are not a license for ___, nor do they ___prejudice or bias.
a. experimentation...eliminate
b. arrogance...pursue
c. humility...advocate
d. smugness...legitimate
e. rigidity...console

3. For many of the villagers, marriage was a practical ___, one not necessarily ___ of love but nevertheless grounded largely in economic advantage.
a. arrangement...devoid
b. entertainment...disparaging
c. attitude...consisting
d. bargaining...worthy
e. misfortune...trusting

4. A judicious biography must be ___ representating that depicts both the strength and the weakensses of the subject, avoiding the two extremes ___ and indictment.
a. a polarized...vindication
b. an imaginative...discernment
c. a holistic...censure
d. a complimentary...animosity
e. an equitable...eulogy

5. PROPENSITY:INCLINED::
a. retaliation : injured
b. ability : incapable
c. impulse : sudden
d. disgust : abominable
e. repugnance : repelled

PLEASE GIVE ME SOME EXPLANATIONS ALONG WITH ANSWERS SO THAT I CAN UNDERSTAND. I WILL POST THE ANSWERS AS SOON AS I GET SOME RESPONSES. I REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR HELP.

By Akaflex (Akaflex) on Saturday, October 04, 2003 - 04:21 pm: Edit

1 - I said A because barriers stop things, and then it said BUT which changed the sentence around, and when it says has weakened these " " the only thing it could of weakened is the barriers which are also defenses.

2- I wasnt sure b/w D or E this was tricky. I understood the first blank because they are not licensed for being dogmatic, they are not strict on something, they are open to more than 1 interpertation. "should not automatically reject" was my clue.

3- A because they can be "Devoid" of love because its also an economic advantage. So most of the time its arranged. Also a tricky one

4- I was down to 2 choices so i dunno if im right i said E because a Judgemental, careful biographer will be fair, just, or "equitable", and not the 2 extremes of either indictment (bad) and eulogy (good)

5- E Having propensity is inclided to do something, or propensity is by defintion inclided to do something, having repugnance is by defintion being repelled to do it.

I hope this helped

By Xiggi (Xiggi) on Saturday, October 04, 2003 - 04:35 pm: Edit

Just to confirm Aka's answers, 2 is indeed D, and 4 is equitable representation and ..eulogy.

By Sssmachine (Sssmachine) on Sunday, October 05, 2003 - 02:11 pm: Edit

Actually the answers are incorrect for some of them.
1.a
2.d
3.d
4.e
5.d

Can anybody explain the answers more clearly??????

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page