Math freaks needed...audition NOW

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: October 2003 Archive: Math freaks needed...audition NOW
By Joeybg (Joeybg) on Friday, October 03, 2003 - 07:23 am: Edit

Hmmm....well maybe not that freaky but still pretty bright...:)

Ok Can someone solve that(?need to ask?)

PumpA,working alone,fills a pool for 6 h.Either one of Pumps B or C,working alone,can fill the the pool in 3 h.If all 3 pumps,working at the same rate,are used at the same time to fill the pool,what fraction of the pool is filled by pump A?

Thakee...You can do it...

By Y17k (Y17k) on Friday, October 03, 2003 - 08:57 am: Edit

half

By Joeybg (Joeybg) on Friday, October 03, 2003 - 10:00 am: Edit

nope

By Xiggi (Xiggi) on Friday, October 03, 2003 - 10:51 am: Edit

Assume pool contains 6 liters,

Pump A = 6 hours = flowrate is 1 l/hour
Pump B = 3 hours = flowrate is 2 l/hour
Pump C = same as B = 2 l/hour

Combined flow is 5 l/hour and Pump A represents 20% of flow, so it will fill 20% of pool.

By Joeybg (Joeybg) on Friday, October 03, 2003 - 12:38 pm: Edit

yup!that makes sense..
thankee Xiggi

By Genessad (Genessad) on Friday, October 03, 2003 - 12:59 pm: Edit

the way she goes around one would think she got a 1600 twice ....no offence!!

By Xiggi (Xiggi) on Friday, October 03, 2003 - 04:48 pm: Edit

/look for a she

/look for one 1600

/look for two 1600

No luck this time!

By Fairyofwind (Fairyofwind) on Friday, October 03, 2003 - 07:27 pm: Edit

/look for a stupid title to attract attention to a stupid question. Found one!

By Genessad (Genessad) on Saturday, October 04, 2003 - 11:16 am: Edit

what xiggi a hermaphrodite? no!!!!!!!!!!!! no!!! no!!! ...i say whats happnin to the girls on sats? take the wind fairy for instance (i mean wind as in what? only one wind comes to my mind)

By Xiggi (Xiggi) on Saturday, October 04, 2003 - 12:12 pm: Edit

Genessad~

I do not know what your problem is. However, keep up with that attitude and I am positive that it will be quite shortlived.

This is a place where people come to find information and assistance. If your intent is to show off, allow me to suggest to try to provide some answers to posted problems or enlighten us with your superior intellect. As it stands, you only have confirmed that your genes' composition is indeed quite sad!

By Chrisy (Chrisy) on Saturday, October 04, 2003 - 01:47 pm: Edit

This is how I usually do this type of problems, it is less clear then xiggi's but it takes less time:
The time it takes to fill the pool if they all worked together- 1/3+1/3+1/6= 5/6
The part of A: 1/6
Ratio of A/all: 1/6 all over 5/6= 1/5 or 20%.

By Xiggi (Xiggi) on Saturday, October 04, 2003 - 04:48 pm: Edit

Chrisy~

How long does it take to write the following numbers "1,2,2", add them up (5), and calculate 1/5 = 20%? I would say about 10 seconds.

Just a tip, I would stay away from fractions as much as I possibly can. They are causing many errors on the SAT. That is why I use 6 as base instead of 1 ... that way your 1/3+1/3+1/6= 5/6 becomes 2+2+1=5 and 1/5 the answer :)

By Chrisy (Chrisy) on Saturday, October 04, 2003 - 08:41 pm: Edit

Xiggi
Of course I used six as a base (mental arthmeitic), I didn't think it was necessary to write that down. Converting 1/3 to 2/6 isn't exactly brain surgery. So I prefer is way rather than doing an extra step (6 liters thing).

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page