Do you skim the para improvement passages?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: October 2003 Archive: Do you skim the para improvement passages?
By Pumpkintree (Pumpkintree) on Thursday, October 02, 2003 - 09:25 am: Edit

Hi,

Do you skim the paragraph improvement short passages or read them carefully? Because of bad grammar/diction, it's so easy to get lost with what the passage is trying to say. What do you think is more effective for answering questions?

Thank you.

By Special_Foreign (Special_Foreign) on Thursday, October 02, 2003 - 06:20 pm: Edit

i have the same question

By Raindrops (Raindrops) on Friday, October 03, 2003 - 10:26 pm: Edit

It all depends. What passage are you referring to anyway: SAT or ACT (English or Reading)? I'm supposing it's ACT English, but I won't advise anything until I'm sure.

By Wjk323 (Wjk323) on Friday, October 03, 2003 - 10:30 pm: Edit

depende en que examen...

By Pumpkintree (Pumpkintree) on Friday, October 03, 2003 - 11:13 pm: Edit

Hmm, sorry, I was referring to SAT II writing. What do you think is the best way to tackle paragraph improvement questions? Read it carefully or just skim the paragraph?

Thanks!

By Joel_Set (Joel_Set) on Friday, October 03, 2003 - 11:18 pm: Edit

just find a way for yourself.. like first read the passage and answer the questions and see how that turns out.. and then read the questions.. search for the answers.. and see how it works out..

it's almost like the sat reading comp.. some ppl just read the questions before the read.. and other ppl read before doing the questions.. personally i think reading and hten answering the question is better.. so you don't miss the entire meaning of the passage.. but i still need work on improving passages :/ hoped this help dawg!

By Folk_Hero (Folk_Hero) on Saturday, October 04, 2003 - 06:21 pm: Edit

Read quickly, then SLOWLY AND CAREFULLY read the part each question is referring to as you do it. Lots of tense errors and mistakes where your brain just fills in the correction. Pay attention to those.

By Folk_Hero (Folk_Hero) on Saturday, October 04, 2003 - 06:25 pm: Edit

BTW, the other type of question has to do with CONTENT. For instance, they'll ask what should be deleted, which sentence should be moved, or how to say something in more or fewer sentences. You'll have to have an idea of what the ENTIRE passage is about, too.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page