Sorry to bother you again 1600s, but I really need yr help

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: October 2003 Archive: Sorry to bother you again 1600s, but I really need yr help
By Amylase (Amylase) on Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 12:17 am: Edit

Hi,

I've posted it several times. sorry but i have to repost it because previous advice have all been tried out and don't seem to work.

Here is my situation with SAT.

For math, i have nothing to bother you, i can fix it to 800 myself.

what i really need your help is on verbal. I memorized most wordlists so i shouldn't have problem with vocab. The critical reading is the section that still baffles me alot. Everytime i take a practice test, i get at least four CRs wrong and two SC/analogy wrong. While that can put me in the 700-750 range, but what i want is 800.

I wondered how you guys, 1600, aces every single question on verbal section, especially CR?

You know CR questions are elusive, confusing, and sometimes downright ambiguous (at least to me). I mean several choices seemed equally good and i don't know which one to choose.

But ETS's answer can never by ambiguous. There must be some reason that can rule out other choices as invariably wrong and proves one choice to be absolutely right.

I'm just lacking that "sense" or "systematic approach" to single out, with absolute certainty, the right choice.

And i believe, you 1600s have that "sense" no matter how you aquired it, you have it.

Let me just put it straight:

For those toughest questions (most comfusing, ambiguous), how do you identify the right from the wrongs?

By Chasgoose (Chasgoose) on Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 09:46 pm: Edit

I really don't think that sense is something that is easy to acquire. I acquired it through years of reading, but I have always been able to read quickly and understand what I am reading (which definitely helps because I have more time to think about it) but even I am usually not 100% positive that I am answering the question correctly I just go with my gut. I understand that this is not the "systematic approach" that you were looking for, but I really don't think that there is one if you want to get an 800 on the verbal section if critical reading is indeed your problem. I have said this time and time again, but critical reading cannot be studied for to get you to the 750+ level, there has to be some innate reading comprehension ability that you have (and a little luck).

I must say Amylase, that you need to stop angsting about getting a 1600 on your SATs. As I have said before, there is no way that you can know postively that you are going to get a 1600. Although there is a slight admissions advantage to getting a 1600 (very slight), it is very rare that you someone that would have been rejected with a 1550 will be accepted with a 1600. I really think that you should be satisfied that you got your score into the 1500s considering English isn't your 1st language and that you are still scoring better than 95% of the population

By Jason817 (Jason817) on Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 10:31 pm: Edit

Stop wasting your time.

By Wjk323 (Wjk323) on Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 10:32 pm: Edit

hey...what if english is my fourth language?
=)

By Drummer_Kid (Drummer_Kid) on Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 11:09 pm: Edit

"you are still scoring better than 95% of the population"

you're doing better than that. 1500 is the top 1 percent. A 1370 is in the top 5%. Yes, 1600 is good, but think about it. only 1 out of 20 people get scores above 1370, and only 1 in 50 get over 1440. You should not be sweating like fat man in a mosh pit about getting 1600. But, if you must, then have fun.

And if you don't believe me about these stats...

http://www.collegeboard.com/counselors/hs/sat/scorereport/scoredata.html

By Neo (Neo) on Wednesday, October 01, 2003 - 12:39 am: Edit

According to his profile, he actually has a 1330. So he is around the top 5%. However, everyone on this thread is right. Amylase, you're becoming quite obsessive. Instead of spending so much time hovering over these boards demanding the secret password for a verbal 800, you could be studying for the stuff away from a computer or better yet, you could be having fun doing something more *useful*, like playing/reading/resting/eating/talking to your mom and/or dad. Freaking out and accosting people isn't going to raise your score.

By Amylase (Amylase) on Wednesday, October 01, 2003 - 03:13 am: Edit

Thanks for advice Chagoose.

Neo,

I'm "addicted to 1600". You should not be surprise at someone addicted to 1600 freaking out for how to get it.

By Neo (Neo) on Wednesday, October 01, 2003 - 02:37 pm: Edit

Freaking out isn't going to get you a 1600 -- that's the point we're trying to make.

For example, you could answer every single question on the October test correctly bar none, but make the mistake of filling in "E"s instead of "D"s during the Quantitative comparision section. You might even do that correctly, but you might forget to bubble in a problem or two on a CR verbal section because you spent too much time on an analogy just a few minutes earlier. Or you might...

Any number of things can/will come into play for every test-taker, regardless of whatever score he or she may be aiming towards. A mistake in math can turn a 1600 into a 1570 in a heartbeat, and a misread sentence in a reading passage can cause one interpret an entire string of questions incorrectly.

You can't put good money on these things. If about 1000 students dialed toll-free last year, did that mean that only those students were capable of hitting the double-8s? Of course not. It just means those students got the questions they could answer on that particular date. It just means that for those 1000 students, everything came into play in his or her own mind on that particular date.

The fact that 1000 students got 1600s also didn't necessarily mean that all 1000 of those students studied for that test. Some undoubtedly walked into the testing center without even a moment's thought about what they were about to do, because it was innate. Others may have glanced at review books, and others may have spent untold hours at home preparing for this date. But how many of those students do you think rolled double-8s by incessantly freaking out?

You'll do a lot better on this test if you stop thinking so much about it.

By Amylase (Amylase) on Wednesday, October 01, 2003 - 08:34 pm: Edit

Neo,

Hey that's nice advice!

I might do better if i try to be less concious about it.

THanks Neo.

BTW, did it worked for your?

By Geniusash (Geniusash) on Wednesday, October 01, 2003 - 10:25 pm: Edit

1500 is top 1 percent!!! Is that true? Because I know 800v=99th percent and 740m=97-98% so I figuredthat would average out to lower than 99%, oh well, I guess there must not be too many 800v's, eh? i kind of feel the same way as you do Amylase. You see, math has always been my subject and I KNOW I could ace it if I studied for it, but I don't want to look like a freak and take it again, cuz I know my score is good enough. So, maybe I'll take it in the spring, after admissions are over(I kind of enjoy the SATs...seriously). I'm also going to take the ACT, because at my Minnesota High School no one even knows what the SAT is. So, there's a plaque for students with a 33+, but there's nothing for us 1500ers. :( So Amylase, take the SAT again if you want to, but don't expect some magic formula from the 1600ers here, it doesn't exist.

By Xiggi (Xiggi) on Wednesday, October 01, 2003 - 11:27 pm: Edit

In 2003

Verbal
750-800 25,114 2% of all testers
700-749 41,283 3%

Math
750-800 30,440 2%
700-749 61,772 4%

By Neo (Neo) on Wednesday, October 01, 2003 - 11:42 pm: Edit

Did it work for me?

I'm not quite sure...I've only taken them once. I'll be taking them for the second and final time in 10 days. Am I hoping for a 1600? Yes. Will life go on whether I achieve my goal or not?

Always :^)

Geniusash,
I know exactly how you feel. Almost every single junior/senior took the ACTs in my school last year. About a dozen took the SATs. It's a midwestern thing.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page