ACt Strategies

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: October 2003 Archive: ACt Strategies
By Ahlawahed (Ahlawahed) on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 06:51 pm: Edit

Anyone have good strategies for timing on the ACT, i need it for the science and reading especially, is there any shortcuts by not reading the passages or something, because it seems like you do need to read them, anyone have any ideas

By Uniqueid (Uniqueid) on Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 09:39 pm: Edit

The strategies in Cracking the ACT were pretty good...do you have that book?

By Clickspring (Clickspring) on Wednesday, October 01, 2003 - 11:42 am: Edit

Read Cracking the ACT.

By Anduin (Anduin) on Thursday, October 02, 2003 - 01:54 am: Edit

In respect to the Reading portion, take US History AP. This strategy will only work if you have a good teacher and a good textbook, but if so, it will serve you well (it got me a 36).

Basically, throughout junior year, all of my tests and quizzes were really hard multiple choice questions that were somewhere between being factual and being interpretive in nature, but were based completely on the reading. BTW, these were tests from the textbook, not old AP questions. By April, I had really gotten the hang of those tests and was constantly getting A's on them. When I got to the reading section of the ACT, what did I find but a bunch of semi-factual, semi-interpretive questions whose answers were sitting there in the reading?

This is quite a long-term strategy, and I doubt it had a colossal impact on my score, but I am convinced that it did raise it somewhat.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page