HELP!!!! I'M ADDICTED TO SAT!!!!!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: October 2003 Archive: HELP!!!! I'M ADDICTED TO SAT!!!!!
By Nycneedhelp (Nycneedhelp) on Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 02:51 pm: Edit

unlike other posts whose topic has no relevance to the information inside, this is different...

I took the SAT I 2 times last year and i'm taking it again in Oct. This makes three times.

Now should i take it again in December?

I don't mind doing it, but the reason i'm asking this is that i heard that it looks bad...Like many colleges frown upon someone taking the SAT I more than 3 times...so do i register for December SAT I or not...

Oh yeah my stats are:

1st time: 610 V 720 M - 1330
2nd time: 600 V 740 M - 1340
Total: 610 V 740 M - 1350

By Akaflex (Akaflex) on Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 02:54 pm: Edit

uh colleges dont rlly care if u improve 10 points, u need to improve at least by 60 points for them to be proud, but 10 points is a waste of time and they think nothing of it

By Nycneedhelp (Nycneedhelp) on Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 03:03 pm: Edit

ok they think nothing...so this means that they dont frown upon this?

By Nycneedhelp (Nycneedhelp) on Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 08:50 pm: Edit

bump

By Wjk323 (Wjk323) on Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 09:18 pm: Edit

take it 100 times if you want...
they DONT CARE...

By Clickspring (Clickspring) on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 01:08 am: Edit

they don't care how many times you take it, but if you don't break 1350 in october, don't retake in december.

By Uniqueid (Uniqueid) on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 01:11 pm: Edit

Yes, they DO care. If you keep taking it, especially when you're scoring consistently, they wonder where your priorities are and why you're not spending time on schoolwork or your ECs, like volunteer work.

Make October your last test, especially if you score in a similar range, or even if you do a lot better in verbal. btw, since verbal seems to be a bit of a weak point, get Verbal Workout (PR's book, methinks) - it will help you crack the verbal.

But do not take it a fourth time when your scores are so consistent.

By Xiggi (Xiggi) on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 02:12 pm: Edit

Uniqueid~

Why are you so adamant in posting the same reply every time the question arises? We are not talking about someone taking the test for the 17th time!

It would be fair to start you reply with:
"It is my opinion and belief that they DO care .... ".

You are entitled to your opinion and can post it as many times as you wish. However, I have repeatedly posted that your opinion is inconsistent with the consensus of this board. Furthermore, I have received confirmation from several schools that your position is totally incorrect. I have copied the emails on this board for everyone to see. Do you believe that, rather than getting the information for the horse's mouth, I polled the wrong side of the animal?

If you have verifiable information, please share it with us, but if your opinion merely represents an uneducated guess, be honest and state that as well!

By Neo (Neo) on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 02:36 pm: Edit

I love this bit:

Furthermore, I have received confirmation from several schools that your position is totally incorrect. I have copied the emails on this board for everyone to see. Do you believe that, rather than getting the information for the horse's mouth, I polled the wrong side of the animal?

Classic :^)

By Uniqueid (Uniqueid) on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 05:52 pm: Edit

Xiggi, my older brother works in Admissions for a major university. My posts reflect things I've learned from him and his colleagues. He would encourage someone who has studied well and progressed in their scores to retake, but within limits. They want to see students who are balanced in their efforts. An SAT test is a one-time display of potential ability, but sustained grades and activities in and outside of school is what they care a LOT more about.

But this comes down to common sense...if you score about the same after taking the test three times and prepared adequately for it, then yes, it is stupid to retake. And YES, they do wonder what the hell is the matter with people who retake repeatedly for a precious 20 or 30 more, but yes, inconsequential, points. Three times is ok, four isn't questioned if you've improved dramatically, but if you take the thing 5 or 6 times, they DO wonder why you haven't moved on to something more important.

Important rule of thumb: An SAT score can not get you in. It can keep you out if it's well below the school's average, especially if your other qualifications are lacking, but a higher score WILL NOT GET YOU IN.

By Xiggi (Xiggi) on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 06:41 pm: Edit

Uniqueid~

Thank you for posting your reply.

I agree 100% with you that it comes down to common sense. That is why I would not endorse the idea of taking the SAT 7-8 times, EVEN if my favorite school tells me that they do not care :)

However, I believe that people may be frightened by reading a post that discourage them to take the test, say for a third time. I also believe that most students BELIEVE that they will do better NEXT time and do not take it for the sake of wasting a saturday.

In a perfect world, one student would prepare himself to the best of his ability and roll the dice for a maximum of two times and would only retake it a third time AFTER making sure that he WILL improve by checking his practices tests.

However, I still believe that a student has MORE to gain by retaking the SAT than accepting his score with resignement out of fear of the school possibly frowning on the number of trials.

To give an added dimension, one school even told me that I had nothing to lose by retaking a 780/760. Obviously, that is an advice that I am not about to follow :)

By Uniqueid (Uniqueid) on Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 09:18 pm: Edit

I think taking it three times is fine, but after 4 times, it's indeed getting to be too much, so I think we're probably in reasonable agreement!

By Bft (Bft) on Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 09:23 pm: Edit

Xiggi- I think enough proof is there when the admission officers say not to take it more than three times.

By Xiggi (Xiggi) on Wednesday, October 01, 2003 - 01:53 am: Edit

Xiggi- I think enough proof is there when the admission officers say not to take it more than three times.

I would agree with that statement but the problem is that it is NOT what adcoms say. See my post above this one! If you have received contradictory information by some adcoms, please post the schools they represent. I promise to send them an email immediately and admit my mistake, were they to confirm that position. This is not a personal issue to me! :)

By Wjk323 (Wjk323) on Wednesday, October 01, 2003 - 02:30 am: Edit

Seriously email the admissions officers...
I have...and they simply DO NOT CARE.
(I would like to bold those words but I dont know how)

but anyways look...I do not know the policy of the colleges you are applying to Uniqueid, but the majority of schools that I have talked/emailed to, told me that they will only look at their HIGHEST SCORES. I know dozens of people who have taken the SAT more than 4 times, and they still have gotten into awesome schools. Taking the SAT 100 times will not be frowned upon. The person might have a serious psychological problem...but adcoms are not going to hold that against you.

BFT: like Xiggi said...I also want to know the schools admissons officer you talked with.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page