PSAT/National Merit cutoff: Calif

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: October 2003 Archive: PSAT/National Merit cutoff: Calif
By Curiousmom (Curiousmom) on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 08:58 am: Edit

Does anyone know the PSAT score cutoff to qualify for semi-finalist status for California for the Oct 2000 test? (graduates in class of 2002)?

By Thedad (Thedad) on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 03:20 pm: Edit

It's been pretty stable around 215/216 but I don't know for sure.

By Ellemenope (Ellemenope) on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 05:17 pm: Edit

Now you've got me curious as to why you'd want to know the cutoff for the Oct 2000 test. . .did your child get a high score but no notification?

I agree with Thedad--215/216--this year, 216 made you a semifinalist--214 did not. Don't know about 215.

By Pookdogg (Pookdogg) on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 08:14 pm: Edit

216 this year, and I believe that it has been 215 for the two previous years.

By Curiousmom (Curiousmom) on Wednesday, October 01, 2003 - 12:44 pm: Edit

ellenmenope: your curiosity is understandable. I'm thinking about my third child's chances. the first one is a Merit Scholar with a 224, the second barely missed semi-final status -- 212 missed by three or four points I now know. Neither prepped for the tests at all, beyond perhaps reading a couple of sample Qs is the pamphlet the counselor hands out. I wanted to know how close she came to being a semifinalist.
So, I now wonder about the third, who is a young male (and thus I believe disadvantaged on verbal): what are the chances that efforts to prod him into preparing for the PSAT would mean real $$? and status of course.

p.s. I love the "menope" suffix. lots of fun, huh? [sarcasm]

By Curiousmom (Curiousmom) on Wednesday, October 01, 2003 - 12:45 pm: Edit

By the way, thanks for all the replies.

By Thedad (Thedad) on Wednesday, October 01, 2003 - 01:56 pm: Edit

Curiousmom, my D took the PSAT frosh and soph years and got in the 190 range and I pretty much knew to a moral certainty that she was underperforming.

We set her up with a PR tutor for August/September of junior year and she got a 226 PSAT and 1400 SAT I in October.

This may sound dumb but for her it wasn't the material but how to approach the test.

She's taking the SAT a second time in a couple of weeks and her practice tests are now in the 1470-1580 range...the light finally went on and she's answering *all* the questions instead of leaving 7-8 blank.

By Momof2 (Momof2) on Wednesday, October 01, 2003 - 02:47 pm: Edit

Thedad - good luck to her! Our S#2, soph, is taking the PSAT again this month. Wants to see if he can beat his brother's soph. score. Since he saw bro get the scholarship and therefore a **decent** car from us, he doesn't seem to need much outside motivation to prepare!

That sounds awful, doesn't it? Reminds me of when I "paid" him 50c a week for not getting a mark in his conduct folder...

By Thedad (Thedad) on Wednesday, October 01, 2003 - 03:02 pm: Edit

Thanks, Mo2. For kids to learn that money is a finite resource and that if you don't have to spend it one place it opens up other opportunities, isn't a bad idea.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page