SAT II Writing Question -- Essay

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: May 2003 Archive: SAT II Writing Question -- Essay
By Andrew123s (Andrew123s) on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 09:42 pm: Edit

My main problem with the essay is coming up with examples that fit the topic. For example, on one topic I was practicing with, "With age comes wisdom," I found it hard to fit my examples I had prepared to the topic. (My examples were the last 3 books we read in English: 1984, The Great Gatsby, and The Awakening. Now that I am thinking about it, I might be able to use some, but I couldn't think of any when I was writing my essay for nearly 6 or 7 minutes, which is too long.)

Does anyone have any suggestions in general for coming up with good examples to fit as many topics as possible, and fitting examples to relatively obscure topics? Or does anyone know of a prep book that has a section about finding good examples?

By Curiousone (Curiousone) on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 09:46 pm: Edit

You don't have to use literary examples. There are examples in the Real SAT II book of real life experience examples given by a student who received a combined score of 12 on his or her essay. Although it may impress the reader to use examples from literature or history, if all else fails you need to find some kind of EXAMPLE. If you can find one in current events that you've heard about recently or in your life or your friend's life and can use it to support your thesis, you will be fine. At least in my opinion.

By Cuponoodles (Cuponoodles) on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 09:52 pm: Edit

A book told from an adult perspective in the sense of a "flashback". For example, the narrator can be retelling part of the story, step out of the flashback, and say something like "I know realize that was a bad idea" or something along those lines.

You can also take something from the fact of someone being old and wise. Like Native American tribes (for a real-life situation), or books. (Sorry can't think of any now).

By Curiousone (Curiousone) on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 10:17 pm: Edit

I think Andrew is talking about preparing for any writing prompt on the SAT II Writing in general, not just the one on the practice test he took. Obviously, it's not going to be the same one on the real thing.

I forgot to add this before, but I don't think you should "prepare books in advance." You can't. That's the point...you don't know what the topic is, and you can't always apply specific books to specific topics. So try not to...but maybe creating a more extensive list of books you have read in the past few years and their topics, not for reference but just to ring a bell in your head of different sources you can use, might be a way to go about it.

By Me1 (Me1) on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 10:22 pm: Edit

If all else fails, for one example, u can always make something up (ie. talk about a made-up friend or relative or something). On the AP Eng. exam, we had to write about media being (or not being) harmful or something like that, and I made up this story about how models/the portrayal of women caused my friend to get anarexia.

By Dschnapps (Dschnapps) on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 10:28 pm: Edit

Also, try to come up with some books that aren't always used by high school students. Definitely don't use Great Gatsby. A lot of these graders are english teachers and would like to see a new and different work used.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page