Writing SAT II

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: May 2003 Archive: Writing SAT II
By Shilpa1125 (Shilpa1125) on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 11:10 am: Edit

For someone who's been in AP English and expects either a high 4 or 5 on the AP test for Lang. and Comp., how much do I need to prepare? I got a 73 on the writing section of the PSAT last year, are they basically the same? The only reason I'm asking is because I'm taking Math IIc and Writing on June 7th, and my family's going to NY on vacation from the 1st to the 4th, so I really don't have a lot of time, most of which I want to spend on Math IIC. This might be a stupid question but I just wanted to know from people who've already taken Writing.

By Tiatemeh (Tiatemeh) on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 06:51 pm: Edit

well.... while the writing section of the PSAT and the writing SAT II are very similar (in structure, etc...) I found that the Writing SAT II is much more difficult. I got a 80 on the Writing portion of the PSAT but got a 700 on the Writing SAT II... which was a little disapointing, and I do plan on taking it again. Anyways, one major difference, which you probably know about, is the Writing SAT II has a writing section- an essay, which you have 20 minutes to write. I don't know, the multiple choice seemed a lot harder for me, and although I'm taking AP Lang as well, I guess I'm not that great a writer under pressure...but that may just be me. What I suggest, if you really are pressed for time, is for you to buy the Baron's book for SAT Writing, and do some of the practice essays. They only take 20 minutes each, and you can probably do at least 3 a week. ;) You may also want to review grammer in that book. Baron's is pretty thurough, and the essay practice gives you a pretty good idea about the test. Good luck, I'm sure you will do better than i did. :) A finnal note: don't cram the day before, if you do, you will be so nervose during the test, you won't be able to think of examples for the essay. :)

By Shilpa1125 (Shilpa1125) on Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 01:14 pm: Edit

Thanks! I recently bought the Barrons guide, so I'll do what you said, and hopefully I can pull of a good score.

By Alethio (Alethio) on Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 06:34 pm: Edit

Has anyone taken the test after prepping with Barron's? Some of the multi choice from their study guides seem pretty hard, and they have a plethora of viable errors in the sentence examples that they give you as compared to other books like Kaplan's don't have only a few possible errors. Any thoughts?

Alethio

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page