HELP: I need/want to raise my score by A LOT!!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: May 2003 Archive: HELP: I need/want to raise my score by A LOT!!
By Keyboardgunk (Keyboardgunk) on Tuesday, May 27, 2003 - 06:50 pm: Edit

I'm in a tough situation right now..

freshman year I took the SAT and got a 1050 - 480V and 570M.

sophomore year I was able to raise it 150 points..but my verbal didn't go too well -
510V and 690M.

I really want to attend an ivy school someday but with these scores..it's impossible!! How can I get these terrible scores up to 1400 - 1500??
PLEASE HELP!!

By Keyboardgunk (Keyboardgunk) on Tuesday, May 27, 2003 - 07:17 pm: Edit

PLEASE HELP!!

By Sandy (Sandy) on Tuesday, May 27, 2003 - 07:56 pm: Edit

Don't worry. That is exactly where I started in my freshman/sophomore year. On practice SATs, I got nothing above a 1150. On my sophomore PSAT, I was able to get a 1330 and 1460 on the SATS in my junior year.
HOW? It really depends on how much studying you have done already. If you haven't used any prep books, your chances of improvement are great.
For two straight years, I studied vocabulary and took advanced math classes at school. Learning words and using them in your daily language really helps. My teachers were impressed by the advanced vocabulary I was using in my papers. You have to make new words a part of you. It is like a baby learning a language. I am not saying that I have superb vocabulary for my verbal score wasn't that great, but I learned something. I learned to learn new words. Yes, even though the SAT is over for me, I have developed this curiosity for learning new words. (for looking up something I dunno and using it, even though I am called a "walking dictionary" at times in a negative way)
Before I go on and on, my advice is:
- Get a book (Barrons vocab list is great), make flash cards, use the words, review them, make mnemonics.
- If you have problems with critical reading, do a lot of reading this summer. Try to pace yourself while not missing the main idea.
- For Math, get some practice books {Kaplan, barrons, I liked PR (but many ppl. hate it)}. Go over each concept carefully.
- STOP thinking of SAT as a burden. I am completely against the test, but changing my mentality about it helped me improve my score. Think of it as a challenge. Think of it as a goal.
- In the end, REMEMBER, SATs arent your life. Scoring lower than you expected doesn't change the world. It doesn't make you a stupid or a bad person.
- RELAX on the test day.
- and ya, GET the 10 Real SATs. Time yourself, take the practice tests (all of them), score yourself, look over your mistakes, and ask people for help when you don't understand your errors.
Remember your mistakes so you do not repeat them.

Sorry for making it a lil. boring. Hope it helps though.
good luck

By Hahaha (Hahaha) on Tuesday, May 27, 2003 - 08:09 pm: Edit

Good advice sandy.

By Sandy (Sandy) on Tuesday, May 27, 2003 - 08:14 pm: Edit

Thanx hahaha.
You should give some input.
As far as I remember, u have a perfect score or very close to perfect & a sis at Harvard. Right?

By Keyboardgunk (Keyboardgunk) on Tuesday, May 27, 2003 - 08:15 pm: Edit

thanks so much sandy!!

By Jason817 (Jason817) on Tuesday, May 27, 2003 - 08:21 pm: Edit

That was kick ass advice there Sandy.

By Sandy (Sandy) on Tuesday, May 27, 2003 - 09:12 pm: Edit

lolz...thnx...hope it helps
Be happy and your scores will improve (with practice off course)

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page