What do you think about those score?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: May 2003 Archive: What do you think about those score?
By Rsk (Rsk) on Tuesday, May 27, 2003 - 01:20 am: Edit

I got 730 for SAT II phycis and 670 for 2c, do they seem bad for engineering shcool? like Georgia Tech, UIUC and copper union. also will that hurt me if i got less than 500 for sat II german.

By Jason817 (Jason817) on Tuesday, May 27, 2003 - 01:22 am: Edit

I don't think engineering schools care for the language SAT II. They prefer writing, math iic, and a science one. Make sure you take writing (you didnt post your score so I assume you haven't taken it). Physics is fine, redo IIc until you get above a 700.

By Mattman (Mattman) on Tuesday, May 27, 2003 - 01:34 am: Edit

I have never taken any SAT IIs before (or SAT I or ACT for that matter) and took the May US History and Physics test.

I want to get into a really good school (some Ivy League?) and made a 770 on US Hist (96th percentile) and 590 on Physics (28th percentile that's really bad, no?). I want to be an aerospace engineer, will the physics score really hurt me? If so, how much and what can I do about it?

By Snissn (Snissn) on Tuesday, May 27, 2003 - 02:04 am: Edit

"590 on Physics (28th percentile that's really bad, no?"
yeah it really is, according to the real sat 2s book it's a raw score of 27 out of 75, you barely did 200 points better than someone who left every answer blank, and had a raw score of 0 (equivalent to a 410)

By Mattman (Mattman) on Tuesday, May 27, 2003 - 01:46 pm: Edit

the question was not whether I did poorly, the percentile tells me that. my question was how will it affect me for colleges if I want to pursue engineering?

By Pat57575 (Pat57575) on Tuesday, May 27, 2003 - 06:43 pm: Edit

It will probably hurt your application some. I guess it depends on the school to which you're applying. Study for it over the summer and shoot for a 700+ next time.

By Jimjunior (Jimjunior) on Tuesday, May 27, 2003 - 07:23 pm: Edit

Well are your physics skills as lacking as that score suggests?

If you are good at physics but dont test well than you have plenty of hope. If that reflects your ability you might want to consider a related field that does not require that raw ability

By Jason817 (Jason817) on Tuesday, May 27, 2003 - 08:18 pm: Edit

I got a 550 in Chem SAT II. I am retaking it this June.

By Peach (Peach) on Tuesday, May 27, 2003 - 10:06 pm: Edit

Rsk, physics score is fine, you have to retake the math iic. and yes, below a 500 on german would suck. don't take it if you're going to score that low.

By Rsk (Rsk) on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 01:03 am: Edit

Thanks everyone. I think I'll retake for both of them. I'll try to get 750+ since those colleges are highly selective and I have low GPA.
Please add your opinion about german

By Quarky (Quarky) on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 01:11 am: Edit

670 iic is shameful for engineering, considering the more than favorable curve. You gotta get at least 760 iic to look strong.

By Exeguest2001 (Exeguest2001) on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 04:42 am: Edit

I got a 790 on Physics and 700 on Math I-c.
I forgot to take my calculator for the MATH.
Should I take it again?Do I still need to take the MATH-II,is writing neccessary for engg??
Plz help,I'm very confused.

By Cuponoodles (Cuponoodles) on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 05:30 pm: Edit

You shouldn't push your major in a field you did poorly in SATs or SAT: IIs. For example, if you want to be a mathematician, and only got a 650 on your SAT, colleges aren't going to readily accept you.

By Me1 (Me1) on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 05:48 pm: Edit

I would definitely retake the math. IMO if you could get a 700 without a calculator, you have a VERY good chance @ 750-800 w/it. A lot of colleges req. writing. Some engineering colleges/math/sci/engineering programs req. the 2C. If you don't want to do anything in that area, the 1-C is generally fine. U could look @ the websites of wherever u want to apply for more specific info. though.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page