For Those With 750+ SAT II Writing Scores

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: May 2003 Archive: For Those With 750+ SAT II Writing Scores
By Fireflower (Fireflower) on Monday, May 26, 2003 - 01:33 am: Edit

How much did you prepare for this test? What was your score/subscores? How many times did you take the test to achieve a satisfactory score? Did any of you not study at all? Thank you, just curious.

By Cogito (Cogito) on Monday, May 26, 2003 - 08:49 am: Edit

I prepared quite a bit for the essay section. I was worried about the 20 minute time limit, and practice definitely helped. I studied grammar in the past, and scored 79 and 80 on the PSAT writing (took it twice) so I wasn't worried about that part. I took the Writing SAT twice; first time I got 660 because my topic put me off (just as I worried it would!). Next time I got 800. :)

By Nuoli (Nuoli) on Monday, May 26, 2003 - 05:10 pm: Edit

Read.

Read.

and read.

Years of this made me good at English. :-)

Last minute prep probably won't get you anywhere... although I nonetheless would recommend taking a few practice multiple choice tests. The essay section is a crapshot... I got a really stupid topic... just play by the rules and don't get creative. I did. Shouldn't have. Though, lol, the multiple choice section saved me despite that particular failure. In short, if you've done plenty of reading, don't sweat it at all -- just take a couple of practice tests and you should be just fine.

By Pisces (Pisces) on Monday, May 26, 2003 - 05:17 pm: Edit

I didnt study at all and i really had no idea what the test would be like. But, i do read a lot and my junior year english curriculum was heavily into grammar. I got an 800 and 12/12 on the essay section the first time. For the essay, i used three specific examples, so i think that might be important- it was a simple 5 paragraph essay (not with the whole repetition of topic sentences though, that's probably a no-no.) good luck.

By Reeses (Reeses) on Monday, May 26, 2003 - 06:00 pm: Edit

i didnt study at all and got a 740 last may, i think im just gonna skim through a review book for the multiple choice b/c my essay was fine, if i retake it...but i think other subjects are more important right now

By Heythere (Heythere) on Monday, May 26, 2003 - 06:04 pm: Edit

why do i feel like the only one who thinks the multiple choice is hard?

I never heard about fautly comparisons, parallelism, or dangling modifiers ONCE before I took the PSAT writing last october. Hence, random guessing.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page