TOEFL

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: May 2003 Archive: TOEFL
By Rubenizm (Rubenizm) on Sunday, May 25, 2003 - 07:49 pm: Edit

Ok i'm a sophomore and i've been in the US since august 2001. When i came to the US, i immediately took honors english and got B's freshman year, now i have A's for both semesters in honors english 10 and i'm taking AP next year. My verbal SAT is around 650 right now and my writing PSAT was a 78.

Columbia and several other schools i'm interested in require you to take the TOEFL. Columbia requires it if your language of instruction for the past 5 years wasn't english and if english isn't your first language.

So is it bad if colleges see that i took the TOEFL even if i get a perfect or near perfect score? I mean will i be judged... differently?

Cuz my brother had been in the States for less than 2 years, he never took it and he didn't have problems about it at any of the schools he applied to.

And to tell you the truth i don't wanna take it. It costs money and time. I might be able to get away with it, but should I?

By M_Eduardo (M_Eduardo) on Sunday, May 25, 2003 - 09:03 pm: Edit

you are required if english is your second language. It is expensive, around $100, and it does take long. I scored a 287/300 without prep. You can probably score a perfect which will look really good.

My verbal SAT is a 590, math 710.

By Tweety620 (Tweety620) on Sunday, May 25, 2003 - 09:56 pm: Edit

you r never required to take the toefl if u have been in the US for a couple of years and have good english grades in addition to satisfactory SAT I verbal, from what I understand, the toefl usually replaces ur SAT I score if u want it to, but i m not sure, I have been in the US for almost 4 years now, so when I apply later this year(i m a junior), I will have been in the US for 4 years and a couple of months, but I dont plan on taking the toefl, i have talked to several college admission offices and they told me to only take it if my SAT I verbal is not very good or if i dont feel comfortable with english.
i dont know is this helps, but if u hear anything else, please post cuz i want to know too

By M_Eduardo (M_Eduardo) on Sunday, May 25, 2003 - 10:28 pm: Edit

The toefl does not replace you SAT verbal.. from what I have heard.

Well, anyone whose english is not the first language, in my school, has to take it...

By Rubenizm (Rubenizm) on Monday, May 26, 2003 - 01:35 am: Edit

my brother never took it and he'd been in the US for less than 2 years. His sat verbal was around a 720 though. He had no trouble about this at mit, cornell, cmu, uiuc or umd. He told me to call to the schools and ask them.
thanks for the input

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page