Advice from 750+ Math IIC people

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: May 2003 Archive: Advice from 750+ Math IIC people
By Haan (Haan) on Sunday, May 25, 2003 - 01:35 am: Edit

My goal on the Math IIC is a 750. Has anybody with a 750+ on the IIC worked with the Barron's book? Its impossible - the questions are ridiculous. What level of preparation does one need to get a 750 score. The Barron's practice tests are completely demoralizing and i don't kno what to do. Is there any other prep book that u guys know about that is most accurately gauge's your ability to perform on the actual test(like kaplan or PR) but besides the Real SAT II. Thanx

By Me1 (Me1) on Sunday, May 25, 2003 - 01:41 am: Edit

I have not taken the IIC, but I know a lot of other people agree that if you can get 700 in Barrons, you should be able to get an 800 on the real thing (if that's any help to u).

By Jason817 (Jason817) on Sunday, May 25, 2003 - 01:53 am: Edit

If you havent taken a precalc class then you are screwed unless you self-teach yourself well. That's why nobody in my school got above a 600 on it. The honors branch for mathmatics goes from Geometry -->Algebra2/trig--->calc so precalc isnt in the picture at all. You learn some of the stuff in alg2/trig however.

By Dschnapps (Dschnapps) on Sunday, May 25, 2003 - 02:43 pm: Edit

for me i have the same problem as Jason817. If you're on a certain track at my school you skip from ALG II TRIG to Calc. Precalc is an imperative for Math IIC unless you somehow really get math.

When you're working from any book, I dont know about Barrons, but see if there is a certain type of problem that you keep getting wrong.

It might be, for example, properties and logic of functions. If so, look through your math book or some other resource for rules about functions, etc. Math II C has a pretty nice curve and a lot of questions are just repeats of others, so learn a few skills and you'll be ok.

By Pat57575 (Pat57575) on Sunday, May 25, 2003 - 06:48 pm: Edit

I don't know if you have the time for this, but if so, you may just want to pick up a pre-calc textbook.

Make sure you are quite familiar with trig graphs and properties (amplitude, period, etc...), pythagorean (sp?), addition/subtraction, and double angle trig identities, triangles (law of sin and cos, ambiguous case), synthetic division, log/exponential functions and properties, conics, sequences and series, combinations, permutations, basic probability, and basic statistics (mean, median, mode, standard deviation). You can get away w/o knowing much about parametric equations and some other side topics.

It may seem like an intimidating list, but with some dedication you can knock it out in a couple weeks.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page