Unbalanced Scores = Bad?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: May 2003 Archive: Unbalanced Scores = Bad?
By Mikeyk (Mikeyk) on Saturday, May 24, 2003 - 11:03 pm: Edit

i got my may sat 1 score back. I got a 1370, im pretty happy, wanted 1400, but im not worried. Here's the problem. I got a 780 on math and a 590 on verbal.

Now do you think colleges will see this as a bad thing compared to a kid who gets 680 and 690? Would they look at me as 1-dimensional? I took writing and got 660 and I just took AP Lang, expecting a 3 or 4. Would these english like feats overrride a 590?

Now im not trying to get into harvard or so, but i am going to apply to some challenging schools (syracuse, cornell). Will my 1-dimensional math/science self effect me?

By Spiffybrownboy (Spiffybrownboy) on Sunday, May 25, 2003 - 01:16 am: Edit

It all depends on what you plan to pursue in college. I know for a fact that if you apply for engineering, most colleges disregard your verbal score and just look for that high math score. For example, someone I know got into University of Michigan (a top engineering school) with a 1340... 770 math 570 verbal. On the other hand, if you want to major in the liberal arts, that 590 may potentially hurt you. Also, if you're undecided and are applying for general admission, it's best to have a balanced score. But, again, if you're all for the math and sciences (and I mean if you really made a clear-cut decision), the shiny 780 is probably good enough.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page