May 3 SAT results

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: May 2003 Archive: May 3 SAT results
By Jason817 (Jason817) on Saturday, May 24, 2003 - 07:23 pm: Edit

Got em in the mail. Now I want to kill myself. I studied like hell after October 2002 PSAT and my score went up by 20 pts. WHAT THE HELL?

Now I am beginning to think that the many hours per day I will spend studing in the summer won't help me.

October 2001 PSAT: 1180
October 2002 PSAT: 1170
MAY 3 2003 SAT I: 1190

I was getting in the 1300's in the practice tests (10 REAL SATS) and high 1200's from Princeton Reviews practice tests. I didn't expect to get this low. My goal was a 1300!! What the hell is this??

Help me. What should I do. I want to get a 1450 by October. I got $400 worth of prep books. Should I start them.

By Incognito (Incognito) on Saturday, May 24, 2003 - 07:27 pm: Edit

Jason, when you do much worse on the real thing than on practice exams, it's because you got so nervous, and you likely didn't pace yourself very well. I think that you can get the 1300+ score, but the key is not in more prep books, but rather in learning how to cope during a real test. You have the potential, you just dont have the mindset for the real thing yet. You were too nervous, and you need to learn how to be more relaxed. Tell me if you actually were nervous (or maybe too confident) during the real thing. If so, then I can't think of any other explanation...

By Ace1 (Ace1) on Saturday, May 24, 2003 - 07:45 pm: Edit

some people just dont have it. sorry.

By Ace1 (Ace1) on Saturday, May 24, 2003 - 07:48 pm: Edit

just like incognito, he is all talk and wont get over 1520 on the real SAT, dreamers like this never achieve well on tests like these. sorry losas, especially you jason,im sick of your bantering on these boards saying how well you do on 10 real SAT's a word of advice mr 1190, on the real thing, grow a pair of balls and dont chicken out come test day.

By Jason817 (Jason817) on Saturday, May 24, 2003 - 07:52 pm: Edit

I wasn't nervous but the reason I think I screwed up on the math section was because I was worried about the verbal section I had bombed the section before so I couldn't concentrate as well. I got a MUCH worse math score that I ever have before. As for verbal:

right/wrong/total
Critical Reading: 29/10/40
Sentence Comps: 15/3/19
Analogies: 13/3/19

By Incognito (Incognito) on Saturday, May 24, 2003 - 08:17 pm: Edit

Ace1 :
"he is all talk and wont get over 1520 on the real SAT"
Do you even know what I got?...

Jason :
The point is still this: It's psychological. You did "poorly" on verbal because of your state of mind, not because your lack of ability, as some ignorant souls on the threads may imply (hello, Ace1)

By Ace1 (Ace1) on Saturday, May 24, 2003 - 08:19 pm: Edit

i dont attribute a sub-600 score in math to "state of mind". He royally choked on the biggest test of his life, period.

By Jason817 (Jason817) on Saturday, May 24, 2003 - 08:31 pm: Edit

When do we get the SAT test booklet so we can see what we did wrong?

By Snv (Snv) on Saturday, May 24, 2003 - 08:37 pm: Edit

jason: there must be some mistake, u and igcognito were rattling off all the correct answers right after the test.

i completely agree w/ incog because i got 1360 last december cause i was overconfident and watever, and i studied (using advice from none other than incognito) and just got my results back: 1580--- boo ya all u non followers!

(thanks for all ure posts incog and jason--they helped, i hope to meet u guys sometime.. where are u thinkin of college, my top choice is harvard)

By Shopgirl1805 (Shopgirl1805) on Saturday, May 24, 2003 - 08:39 pm: Edit

When you practice, set goals for how many questions you want to get right. Break it down into sections: critical reading, analogies, QCs etc. After doing a practice test see which sections you are weakest in and practice those types of questions until you turn blue in the face. Trust me, it completely worked for me. I had gotten 25 questions right in Critical reading, so I practiced every CR passage I could get my hands on and I ended up getting 37 questions right on the real SAT. Plus it brought up my other verbal sections as well.

By Jason817 (Jason817) on Saturday, May 24, 2003 - 08:51 pm: Edit

"jason: there must be some mistake, u and igcognito were rattling off all the correct answers right after the test."

Thanks but I only mentioned half a dozen or so correct answers.

"i completely agree w/ incog because i got 1360 last december cause i was overconfident and watever, and i studied (using advice from none other than incognito) and just got my results back: 1580--- boo ya all u non followers!"

Congrats

"where are u thinkin of college, my top choice is harvard"

UC Berkeley, UCLA, CalPoly. My dream school is MIT and Caltech but I am not applying.

Shopgirl: So if you get a question wrong, how much time exactly do you spend correcting it? How exactly do you correct it (besides just reading the answer explanations)? I know you try to find out what you did wrong but what it if was a CR passage and you have no idea what to do? And for sentence comps, you can't really check it over right? It only matters whether or not you know the word (IMO).

By Andrew123s (Andrew123s) on Saturday, May 24, 2003 - 09:09 pm: Edit

Incog, what was the advice you shared that helped SNV go up 220 points?

By Incognito (Incognito) on Saturday, May 24, 2003 - 09:23 pm: Edit

Snv:
I'm not too sure about where I'll apply. My family isn't too wealthy, so I'll likely go to a state school in NY. BTW, snv, is that your first username, or did you have an older one? If you used to have a different username, then what was it, out of curiosity?...(Congrats on that 1580 of yours, btw!!!)

Andrew123s ~
I've been giving a lot of advice on the forums for months now. I have hundreds of posts (which may be sad, in a way). But to be completely honest, I don't really remember giving a person by the username "snv" advice. Perhaps they changed their username from something else.

By Shopgirl1805 (Shopgirl1805) on Saturday, May 24, 2003 - 09:45 pm: Edit

CRs are just an example. And when I practiced CRs I didn't spend too much time correcting them, I just moved on to the next passage. After reading a lot of them, I noticed that the questions asked are pretty much the same. And in Sent. Comp. when I got one wrong, I added the word I didn't know to my vocab.

By Godis (Godis) on Saturday, May 24, 2003 - 09:55 pm: Edit

jason, when it comes to critical reading, you correct errors by scrutinizing the passages. unlike what many people say, the answers to the questions are directly supported by the passage. you can't infer on these things, and the test writers know that. if they left questions open to interpretation, then they'd never be able to say that a particular answer is correct, because everyone who answered it differently would call and complain about a bad answer key.

By Jason817 (Jason817) on Saturday, May 24, 2003 - 09:55 pm: Edit

Thanks.

As for Incognito's advice, the best thread for his informations was called "Flash Cards" or something but I think that was a long time ago so its gone now.

By Almostdone (Almostdone) on Sunday, May 25, 2003 - 12:39 am: Edit

omg that happened to me too! i was doing so well on the practice real SAT's but my real score was 150pts lower than what i expected - it was even lower than my PSAT score! SAT's are weird. better luck next time...

By Jason817 (Jason817) on Sunday, May 25, 2003 - 01:54 am: Edit

cool. same situation. good luck to you too.

By Satman04 (Satman04) on Sunday, May 25, 2003 - 07:05 pm: Edit

incognito; you think you can direct me to one post that captures all of your sound advice? You're advice is scattered all over the place in small increments on this board, and it's hard keeping track with everything you say, besides via pen and paper and taking notes.

By Satman04 (Satman04) on Sunday, May 25, 2003 - 07:11 pm: Edit

jason, I'm in the same boat. Every single practice test I took via 10 Real SATs, I did very well in the math sections, missing about one or two math questions on each test.

On the real SAT on May 3 however, I basically choked on all the geometry problems and missed a few of the algebra ones. I ended up with a 620 math. My time allocation was horrible in those sections.

By Jason817 (Jason817) on Sunday, May 25, 2003 - 07:25 pm: Edit

Same with me SATman. As for the thread will all of Incog's good stuff, it was deleted because that was many months ago. Maybe you can start a new thread and ash him again.

By M_Eduardo (M_Eduardo) on Sunday, May 25, 2003 - 09:08 pm: Edit

I went up 210 points on the mar 3rd.

from a 1090 (490 V, 600 M) to a 1300 (590 V, 710 M)

I'm so happy!

By Andy7733 (Andy7733) on Monday, May 26, 2003 - 12:12 am: Edit

pressure is pressure. you'll deal with it on standardized testing, in school, in work, and in life. those who can cope, and thrive, will almost always do well, in all of the above. manage the pressure, and use it to refocus your efforts. its cliched, but pressure makes diamonds.

By Noemie (Noemie) on Monday, May 26, 2003 - 12:40 pm: Edit

my psat score was 1100. Not terrible but I coul've done much better. That's why I was sad to find a 1200. I was nervous, and I did skip problems, so I know I can do better. Looks like I'll be doing some serious prepping anyway.

By Spiffybrownboy (Spiffybrownboy) on Monday, May 26, 2003 - 12:48 pm: Edit

I see that a lot of people's problems on the SAT stem from not having enough time (pacing oneself incorrectly). I had this problem for SUCH a long time, because I got nervous and I would look at the clock after EVERY problem I did... it was like obsessive compulsive. When I first started I'd be like ok I'm doing good on time, then I'd panic and just keep staring at the clock, which in and of itself wasted valuable time. If you have this problem, DON'T LOOK AT THE CLOCK, not until you reach the end of the section at least. I did this for the May SAT and I had virtually no problem with time. Now, I know most of you would scoff at this advice, arguing that you have to be aware of time to pace yourself. Maybe so, but I know for me, personally, the best way to pace myself is to work peacefully without looking at the clock. I actually finish! Buttt, I don't know what I got, so don't assume I did well hehe...

By Coloprisco19 (Coloprisco19) on Monday, May 26, 2003 - 01:08 pm: Edit

its ok jason, just work over the summer and u mite improve that score.

this is going to be my first time taking the exam in june. I just found this site and it looks pretty cool. my Princeton review and 10 real SAT practice are in the neighborhood of 1380-1480 ranging from 750-800 math to 630-730 verbal. hope u do better and pray for me on june 7.

By Snv (Snv) on Monday, May 26, 2003 - 02:15 pm: Edit

incognito: i just got your advice from general posts, snv is my only screenname.

practice timing and strategy just as u would on the real thing.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page