SAT Math Question

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: May 2003 Archive: SAT Math Question
By Yoyo123 (Yoyo123) on Saturday, May 24, 2003 - 06:19 pm: Edit

Let A,B, and C be three points in a plane such that AB:BC=3:5.Which of the following could be the ratio AB:AC?

I. 1:2
II. 1:3
III. 3:8

(A) I only
(B) II only
(C) III only
(D) I and III only
(E) I, II, III

By Ace1 (Ace1) on Saturday, May 24, 2003 - 06:27 pm: Edit

the answer is D.

By Ace1 (Ace1) on Saturday, May 24, 2003 - 06:27 pm: Edit

what question and difficulty level was this question?

By Ace1 (Ace1) on Saturday, May 24, 2003 - 06:33 pm: Edit

oops, my bad, answer is A.. brain cramp

By Ace1 (Ace1) on Saturday, May 24, 2003 - 06:33 pm: Edit

delete that post, D is the right answer, i dont know what im talking about half the time.

By Incognito (Incognito) on Saturday, May 24, 2003 - 06:43 pm: Edit

Ace1, he didn't ask for the answer you prick, I think that he wants an explanation. I'm sure he has the answer, so you're not much help. If you don't want to offer any explanation, then don't post.

Yoyo123,
You could think of it in terms of a triangle I suppose. Then, by figuring out what sides are possible and what sides are not, you can deduce what choices are possible. (The sum of any two sides of a triangle must be more than the third side). If you use a triangle, then option I works. It may be 3/8 (option III), even though it wouldn't work w/a triangle, becuase it could be an entire line. For instance:

A-----B------C
___3____5

By Virgo007 (Virgo007) on Saturday, May 24, 2003 - 07:18 pm: Edit

Whoa incognito! Why are calling Ace1 a prick :( That isn't cool, dude...

By Incognito (Incognito) on Saturday, May 24, 2003 - 07:23 pm: Edit

I know. I never treat people like that unless they've treated me like crap in the past. I've had a few altercations w/Ace1 before. I'm not a bad person, I just don't like Ace1. The way he demeans Jason and I (in reference to past threads) is pathetic. I also found his posts in this thread a little obnoxious considering the fact that the OP likely has the answer. What's the point in posting w/o an explanation?...

By Ace1 (Ace1) on Saturday, May 24, 2003 - 07:37 pm: Edit

shut up punk, hope you get a 1460

By Dwayne_Hoover (Dwayne_Hoover) on Saturday, May 24, 2003 - 07:50 pm: Edit

I dislike incognito, i don't like his attitude and he extols a 1600 too much-- i hope he gets a 1200 for his own sake,

By Incognito (Incognito) on Saturday, May 24, 2003 - 08:22 pm: Edit

To Ace1 :
lol. I hope I remember this thread when I get my score. I also hope that you're still here when it happens.

To Dwayne Hoover :
I'm sorry, but I don't see how my (sometimes unrealistic) aspirations have anything to do with you. I'm very sorry if my personal goals upset you or get you down in any way. But let's be honest with ourselves here: I have never offended you before. What do you want me to do? Would you like a bone or something?

By Dave323 (Dave323) on Saturday, May 24, 2003 - 08:26 pm: Edit

Back to the topic... since AB is 3 and BC is 5 (or at least the same ratio), AC must be greater than or equal to 2 (2+3=5) and less than or equal to 8 (3+5=8). For I, A would be 6, which is okay, for II, 9 (not okay), and for III, it would be 8, which is okay because it's just three points on the plane and not a triangle. Therefore, the answer is D. Hope that helps.

By Virgo007 (Virgo007) on Saturday, May 24, 2003 - 08:49 pm: Edit

Why can't we all just get along? Ok Dwayne, your goals aren't similar to Incognito's but that doesn't mean you have to wish bad for him. And Ace1 and Incognito, you both are pretty cool guys who obviously come here to help other people. Let's come together for our similarities...

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page