Its almost time...JUNE 7 SAT

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: May 2003 Archive: Its almost time...JUNE 7 SAT
By Ace1 (Ace1) on Friday, May 23, 2003 - 01:07 am: Edit

this is going to be the biggest day of my life and will presumably determine what happens with the rest of my life( what college i get into which puts me in my line of employment).

i was just wondering how easy/hard you guys think this test will be. I took the october SAT and didnt fare that well and im hoping this one is a little easier.

By Lateralus (Lateralus) on Friday, May 23, 2003 - 01:27 am: Edit

hahaha, no test will ever determine the rest of your life; don't worry so much

By Ace1 (Ace1) on Friday, May 23, 2003 - 01:29 am: Edit

does anyone have experience with this month or know anything about the difficulty of it generally???

By Akaflex (Akaflex) on Friday, May 23, 2003 - 07:50 am: Edit

Ace1 Im with you, biggest test of ur life it is belive it or not. Im ready for it hopefully.

By Peach (Peach) on Friday, May 23, 2003 - 11:04 am: Edit

OMG this will NOT be the biggest day of your life! The SAT is only ONE part of the equation, and the schools look for a complete package. People with 1600s get rejected by Harvard all the time. Get some perspective or you'll screw yourself up royally. Work on good grades, ECs, great essays, and don't just think about the SAT.

The school you go to is important, but will not make or break your career or future. It is up to YOU to make that happen, wherever you go. Bill Gates never graduated college, so clearly that didn't matter for him. Few of us are going to be a Bill Gates type (thank god), but there is much more to building your future than the name of the school you go to.

Get a grip, dude, or you're in for some serious disappointment down the road...

By Spiffybrownboy (Spiffybrownboy) on Friday, May 23, 2003 - 12:17 pm: Edit

Ahhh, please don't say it's the biggest thing in your life. It definitely isn't. SATs are silly tests, if you ask me, that count for too much. And yes, accuse me of bitterness. I didn't fare so well either.

By Howdydoody (Howdydoody) on Friday, May 23, 2003 - 01:57 pm: Edit

What did everyone score in October?

By Johnnyd (Johnnyd) on Friday, May 23, 2003 - 09:50 pm: Edit

i cant believe that guy said that test would determine someone's life

By Apguy (Apguy) on Friday, May 23, 2003 - 10:28 pm: Edit

It doesn't determine someone's ENTIRE life, but does determine quite a lot.

A good SAT score can:

Get you into a good undergrad college...the quality of your undergrad college can influence the quality of your grad school (if you choose to go)...the quality of your education through undergrad or grad school will determine your position in the marketplace...a high position in the marketplace can get you a big house and a luxury sportscar...which will get you a hot wife/husband!

The SAT does not determine your future, a variety of thousands of other decisions will. However, that good SAT score can be the START of a good series of events.

By Ace1 (Ace1) on Friday, May 23, 2003 - 11:28 pm: Edit

you still didnt answer my question...

what is difference in difficulty between the october and the june SAT? is june as easy as MAY? please respond.

By Andrew123s (Andrew123s) on Friday, May 23, 2003 - 11:39 pm: Edit

Easy does not necessarily mean good. Easy tests tend to come with very hard curves.

By Apguy (Apguy) on Saturday, May 24, 2003 - 01:14 am: Edit

"you still didnt answer my question..."

Eh, don't get pouty. Just wait for someone to answer.

"what is difference in difficulty between the october and the june SAT? is june as easy as MAY? please respond."

There is obviously no actual trend to hard test dates and east test dates. If there was, everybody would be taking the easier test.

The idea that October tests are much harder than June tests or vice versa aren't accurate. The collegeboard makes up an SAT for a certain test date, they don't have the difficulty of that test pre-determined. So when they sit down to make the test they will not say "June test...let's make this one easy!" There simply isn't a pattern.

Also, scaling of the test will reflect your score so nobody gets an unfair advantage for taking it on a certain test date. If you get a hard test, the curve will be in your favor. If you get an easy test, the scale will be harsh. You should really do equally as well on a hard test as you would on an easy test because of the scaling.

By Virgo007 (Virgo007) on Saturday, May 24, 2003 - 09:27 am: Edit

THere IS a pattern. Generally, the January tests are made the easiest, whereas the April tests are not made easiest. However, I am not sure about June...my tutor tells me the curve is alright and it won't be that hard- just so-so.

By Apguy (Apguy) on Saturday, May 24, 2003 - 12:02 pm: Edit

That isn't a pattern in the tests difficulty. Patterns of a certain month being harder than the other isn't the actual test being harder, but the scale being harsher. Also, wasn't this the first year for an April test anyway?

By Xiggi (Xiggi) on Saturday, May 24, 2003 - 01:39 pm: Edit

I believe that the difficulty is TOTALLY relative to the individual test taker. The tests are supposed to be equal and the curves should equate all differences.

It is entirely possible that Virgo007 would consider the January test easier while I found it the most difficult practice test I took. On the other hand, I scored the highest on some tests that people considered very hard.

AFAIK, it is all a matter of preparation. The more practice one takes, the less surprised one will be. Also, that is why it helps to take the tests a couple of times to average your personal scores. :)

By Almostdone (Almostdone) on Saturday, May 24, 2003 - 01:50 pm: Edit

the april test was frikin AWFUL...i got a 1390, which when on all five of the practice tests i got 1500+. oh yeah and my friend got a 1450 on the january and then studied and got a 1440 on the april. i really hope the june one is easy AND has a good curve. (haha now im being silly - oh well im as nervous as hell). good luck, y'all!

By Jason817 (Jason817) on Saturday, May 24, 2003 - 03:10 pm: Edit

The May one was hard as hell and everyone said it was easy.

By Soilbean (Soilbean) on Saturday, May 24, 2003 - 03:21 pm: Edit

may was easy <--1510

april was hard <--1420

and december was eh <--1410

By Almostdone (Almostdone) on Saturday, May 24, 2003 - 04:10 pm: Edit

oh yeah i forgot to tell u, i took the APRIL 26 SAT, not hte one in the first week, cuz it got canceled here due to an icestorm. maybe thats why i did so bad : the curve could have been low since all the schools that canceled were in east/west coast cities, so on average they did better than the regular group? i dunno. maybe im just kidding myself and im really really dumb.

By Haan (Haan) on Saturday, May 24, 2003 - 04:34 pm: Edit

yes april was difficult:

April 5th : 1440

May 3rd just a couple weeks later: 1500

By Crazyandy (Crazyandy) on Saturday, May 24, 2003 - 04:58 pm: Edit

I'm taking the SAT in June and again in October for 1 last bout. Does anyone know how hard the October tests usually are? (cuz i saw up top January tests are easy, while April tests tend to be harder). Maybe it just depends on the test taker but I'd like your opinions.

By Thepiskickass (Thepiskickass) on Saturday, May 24, 2003 - 08:28 pm: Edit

How are you all preparing? June 7th is my first SAT... I just picked up a Kaplan Verbal prep and Ten Real Sats. I'm hoping they will help. But I just don't feel like studying..

By Xiggi (Xiggi) on Saturday, May 24, 2003 - 08:41 pm: Edit

Do not study.

Just take all the tests (you can) from your 10 Real SAT book and make sure you check the answers on a site like STudyHall.com . That is all you can do at this time.

PS Start with the recents ones.

PS2 The October test is NOT more difficult. That is an unsupported old ladies' tale. I found the October 2002 test to be a lot easier than January 2003. People who spread those type of myths may not even have seen the test :)

By Apguy (Apguy) on Saturday, May 24, 2003 - 08:58 pm: Edit

>>I just picked up a Kaplan Verbal prep and Ten Real Sats.<<

Are you talking about the Kaplan verbal workbook? That seems to be pretty good, my sibling boosted their verbal score by nearly a hundred points using those techniques.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page