Verbal Improvement

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: May 2003 Archive: Verbal Improvement
By Keyboardgunk (Keyboardgunk) on Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 01:56 am: Edit

For the SATs, my verbal score is extrememly low. It's weighing my entire score down and I dunno what to do about it. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to improve ASAP? Thanks!

By Spiffybrownboy (Spiffybrownboy) on Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 04:17 pm: Edit

Vocab, vocab, vocab. There are only so many strategies you can learn. For example, try to find a model sentence to relate words in analogies, use prefixes and suffixes to find out meanings of words, try fitting words into the sentence and use context clues... the list goes on, but it eventually stops. If you take any SAT class or even just read published hints you'll learn all the tips. I did that, yet my score is still disappointing... improving, but very slowly. So, my advice is just to start looking at some common words and learning their meanings (there are word lists published for the SAT, they're very useful). Now, I know just memorizing random definitions is meaningless, but knowing some key words helps. Whenever I come across a new word, I look it up. I knew this may not be helpful when test time comes, but it WAS. Some of the words I'd looked up randomly were actually on the test. I knew to look them up because I had heard them used commonly before but didn't know what they meant. These are the types of words (found in word lists you can buy) that are the key words. It's difficult, I know, and eventually you won't be able to get past a certain score, that's just how it is for people who haven't read much and don't have a vast vocabulary. All I can say is good luck and learn some common SAT words!

By Spiffybrownboy (Spiffybrownboy) on Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 04:18 pm: Edit

Also, get your math up as high as possible. Hopefully it'll make up for some of the verbal... ehhh... disaster? lol.

By Serene (Serene) on Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 04:33 pm: Edit

I think I tried the Barron sample test and got a 610 on verbal. Then I studied Kaplan word list (and a few other things) and got 800 on the real SAT. You might want to get Kaplan.

By Godis (Godis) on Saturday, May 24, 2003 - 12:17 am: Edit

i didn't like the kaplan verbal list. i studied it for psat and got 640. i studied princeton review word smart for real SAT and got 740. pr word smart is a great book

By Virgo007 (Virgo007) on Saturday, May 24, 2003 - 09:35 am: Edit

Vocabulary. Memorize from Barron's word list. To improve on CR Passages, do TONS (I do mean A LOT...about 100 or more) of CR Readings to get used to the questions and passages. Then, time yourself to emulate the real test.

By Keyboardgunk (Keyboardgunk) on Monday, May 26, 2003 - 03:17 pm: Edit

Should I take reading classes in order to improve on CR passages? I seriously suck at verbal!!
My verbal score for the May SAT was 510.

Will doing tons of CR passages really help?

By Jason817 (Jason817) on Monday, May 26, 2003 - 03:24 pm: Edit

I got a 530 on the PSAT. I memorized Kaplans, did quite a few CR passages from PR and got my score up to 590.

By Humburdy (Humburdy) on Monday, May 26, 2003 - 07:32 pm: Edit

i got a 690 on the psat...and i made word lists and did a bit of practice (around 3 practice tests) and i got 800 on the SAT!!

By Doofus (Doofus) on Monday, May 26, 2003 - 10:16 pm: Edit

I'm using the sparknotes vocab list and the freevocabulary.com list. Can anyone verify the reliability of these? I always do well on the sentence completions/analogies but damn.. the critical reading is tough, and there's no "quick fix" for it.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page