Should I take the SAT II Match IIC?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: May 2003 Archive: Should I take the SAT II Match IIC?
By Steffie1212002 (Steffie1212002) on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 08:06 pm: Edit

I'm not sure if I should take the Math IIC. I'm in Honors precalculus right now, and i'm getting an A, so I'll be am AP Calculus next year.
The only thing is, I'm not that great in math. I got a 680 Math SAT I Reasoning Test, so I'm a little worried about the IIC.

Will it look bad if I'm going into AP Calculus and I only take the IC? Or do colleges only look at your score, and not which test you take? Helllppppp!

By Serene (Serene) on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 08:21 pm: Edit

top schools generally favor IIC over IC. Study hard and take IIC.

By Steffie1212002 (Steffie1212002) on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 09:36 pm: Edit

So take Math IIC, even if I don't do as well as I could do on the IC?

For the record, I think they are both hard. I missed about the same in a mini-practice test on the IC as I did on the IIC.

By Future (Future) on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 09:42 pm: Edit

< edited by Admin >
... if you really want to take IIC, then go ahead... The curve is generous and if you miss 6, you could still get a 800... I am a sophomore and took the IC and got a 800... I'm planning on taking the IIC in the middle of my junior year when I'll be in Calculus and confident about this test...

By Steffie1212002 (Steffie1212002) on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 09:52 pm: Edit

"How could you miss even 1 on the IC practice test?"

A lot of help you are.

By Lateralus (Lateralus) on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 11:07 pm: Edit

< edited by Admin >

steffie, if you are in algebra II this year, take math IC
if you are in pre-calc, take IIC, because you will do better with the curve.

By Dschnapps (Dschnapps) on Wednesday, May 21, 2003 - 02:21 am: Edit

< edited by Admin >

lateralus, that's pretty good advice

i would definitely recommend for her to take IIC because:

even though it's harder, it has easier curve, so if you get same amount wrong on IC and IIC, better to take IIC

also, if you're good at precal, the IIC really necessitates that you be good with functions and really versatile mathematically, something that a good precal student is equipped for

so take iic, and don't listen to supposed "elitists" who really just want to boast and not help

By Tweaks (Tweaks) on Wednesday, May 21, 2003 - 10:30 pm: Edit

My vote for 2c. If you get about the same wrong, you'll get higher on 2c. Plus, 2c > 1c in terms of how good it looks.

Also, 2c stuff is more fresh in your mind. But be sure to grab some review books -- if you get Barron's, keep in mind that their tests are significantly harder than the real thing.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page