SATII:Writing

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: May 2003 Archive: SATII:Writing
By Chadwilsonx (Chadwilsonx) on Monday, May 19, 2003 - 10:32 pm: Edit

I currently have a 650 score on the SATII Writing but I am wondering if it will look bad that I took the writing test more than once? I am pretty confident i can get around 750 this time.

By Thepiskickass (Thepiskickass) on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 12:02 am: Edit

Heh. I took the Writing this May. I got a 660. You freaking bet I'm taking it again! I don't think it'll look bad. I hope not. Twice at a test shouldn't be so bad. You were not satisfied with the score so you worked harder to improve it. Adcoms should like that. Just make sure you don't take it 15 times to raise a 790 to an 800. Then you'll be seen as a little bit neurotic. Unstable. Not such a great candidate. Eh. Whatever. Stupid tests, stupid adcoms. Just obstacles in our way. That's what I say, anyway.

By Miscanon (Miscanon) on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 07:49 pm: Edit

I got a 780 math, and 720 verbal...my math error was very very careless and I think my vocabulary has improved tremendously since the 720 testing...I'm taking it again...will this bode well with the folks at HYP if I score in a higher range even though it's an additional testing after a 99% 1500?

By Dschnapps (Dschnapps) on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 09:52 pm: Edit

If you get a better score, taking the test twice is fine, though it seems a little odd that you wouldn't be content with a 1500. i think that as long as you don't do worse, they won't penalize you, and an 800 in the verbal section would look pretty good.

By Miscanon (Miscanon) on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 10:28 pm: Edit

Okay. Thanks alot...well about the 1500...it seems like everyone on this board views "1500" as mediocre for HYP...how accurate is this. I think they have a point because the 1480 or what not average of HYP is accounting all the non academic-based admissions with scores significantly lower than 1480...so is the "realistic" average up around 1560 / 1570 as I hear?

By Lateralus (Lateralus) on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 11:13 pm: Edit

no, that is ridiculous. even these colleges could care less if you get a 1450, 1500, or 1550. Once you are in the high 1400's or higher, you are thrown into a pool of elite applicants. they then weigh your other achievements, such as gpa or ECs. i honestly think that taking the SAT I an additional 1 or 2 times to raise a 1500 to 1530 or 1540 is a waste.

By Peach (Peach) on Wednesday, May 21, 2003 - 11:26 pm: Edit

I'd retake it...they only look at the highest scores anyway. Anyone can have a bad day, but a higher score will be better.

By Fireflower (Fireflower) on Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 07:30 pm: Edit

The first time I took the SAT II Writing I got a 670 because I didn't read the prompt carefully. I retook it without prep and paid attention and got a 780. You never know...

By Keyboardgunk (Keyboardgunk) on Friday, May 23, 2003 - 01:52 am: Edit

Fireflower ~

How exactly did you prepare yourself for the writing part?

By Saeef (Saeef) on Friday, May 23, 2003 - 10:16 am: Edit

Miscanon, don;t worry there is slight...ok...very good chance that over 50% of the people on these boards lie about their scores, i don't see why, no one knows who u are...but it happens.

Me:

SAT II Math Ic ::: 670
SAT II Writing ::: 670
SAT II US History: 760 (i had taken AP, got a 4 on it)

SAT I: Math ::: 710
SAT I: Verbal:: 660

By Fireflower (Fireflower) on Monday, May 26, 2003 - 01:31 am: Edit

I did have a book - Kaplan I think. I reviewed a few hours maybe a month before the second test (no prep before the first) and never looked at it again. Sad, I know. I only reviewed for the MC which is funny because my subscore on those only slightly improved. For the first test I had a 69 for MC and a 58 for essay and on the second a 72 MC and a 79 essay (20-80 scale). I took the first test in November and the second in January.

As for the essay, no prep, the topic was incredibly easy compared to the torturous ones we have in AP English. I guess it was natural ability because I've always been great at writing. Sorry, can't give you any hints except to write about at least two novels (that's what I did.) I guess I just thought the SAT II Writing was a joke; I only retook it to try to get a 680 (to clear UCSD's Subject A req.). If I sound like I'm boasting, I'm sorry I don't mean too, in fact I'm not pleased with any of my standardized test scores. I wish I would have studied ^^

By Shane (Shane) on Monday, May 26, 2003 - 01:46 am: Edit

Personally, I think alot of preparation can be made for the SAT II writing, or at least for the mc part....by strictly taking old tests and practicing from them, I made an 80 on the psat writing section. Repetition, especially with those sentence error questions, really gives you a feel for how to handle it. I plan on taking it in June(SAT2), and am hoping for a high score, although im not sure how ill fare on the writing sample, in my opinion thats a crap shoot.

By Fatjoe (Fatjoe) on Tuesday, May 27, 2003 - 11:20 pm: Edit

hey
yeah so i bombed out on MY SAt II in writing and math (520 writing 580 MATh IC)SO i was wondering how this would affect my admissions to a high ranking school (not like a Harvard, but something like say GeorgeTown)
MY average is around a 93 (and that is going to go up to around a 94 by the time this year is over) on my transcript. Ive taken 2 AP's (us history and Calculus AB) and have various EC (such as soccer team, volunteer work, various jobs)
I plan on taking the writing and Math IC over again but if I didn't how badly would it affect my admission into a highly ranked college?

By Jason817 (Jason817) on Tuesday, May 27, 2003 - 11:39 pm: Edit

if you retake it and do better, then you are in fine shape.

By Bbgordy (Bbgordy) on Tuesday, May 27, 2003 - 11:55 pm: Edit

I got a 760 on Math IIC and 710 on Writing, but only a 590 on Chemistry. (My SAT I scores were 760 Math and 630 Verbal.) Do I need to raise my score on the SAT II chemistry (or possibly physics) if I'm applying to UCSD?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page