Verbal Improvement

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: May 2003 Archive: Verbal Improvement
By Nyyankees408 (Nyyankees408) on Monday, May 19, 2003 - 05:30 pm: Edit

I recently got my SAT scores back from the May 3rd test. My scores were 650 Verbal and 630 Math for a composite of 1280. I think this was a great improvement over my 1170 PSAT score (610 Verbal 560 math).

Would it be worth trying to take the test again after studying during the summer? Or should I just settle for my much improved 1280? During the prep for the May 3rd exam, I had a tutor and used about 3 or 4 practice books-- including about 700 vocab words.

All in all, I'm quite happy about my math score, but still a little indifferent towards my Verbal score. However, I did beat my mother, sister, and father (who teaches medical students at an ivy league school) on the test.

I think I knew most of the words on the test, I just had major problems with the first critical reading passage (the neurologist one), which is kind of ironic since my father is a doctor. I plan to apply to Boston University (legacy) as my main target, but I don't know if I should try and raise my scores over the summer and re-think my application process.

Any suggestions at all would help.. Also what is a good method to improve specifically the critical reading skill?

By Virgo007 (Virgo007) on Monday, May 19, 2003 - 05:44 pm: Edit

To improve on CR Passages, do TONS (I do mean A LOT...about 100 or more) of CR Readings to get used to the questions and passages. Then, time yourself to emulate the real test.

By Bradknicks (Bradknicks) on Monday, May 19, 2003 - 06:11 pm: Edit

Virgo,
where could I find that many practice Critical reading passages ?

By Montydsw11 (Montydsw11) on Monday, May 19, 2003 - 07:53 pm: Edit

virgo, I would also like to know...

By Incognito (Incognito) on Monday, May 19, 2003 - 08:15 pm: Edit

Because CR has been around for so long, you can actually get CR passages & questions from both pre- and post-1994 SAT exams. If you're able to get those, plus the "Guidance Office" pamphlet SATs and GO pamphlet PSATs, then you should have lots (probably not a 100, though)...

By Incognito (Incognito) on Monday, May 19, 2003 - 08:16 pm: Edit

*BTW, Nyyankees408, I recommend that you study over the summer and take the test again in the fall (not that a 1280 is a bad score, but you're likely able to improve a lot if you work on it).

By M_Eduardo (M_Eduardo) on Monday, May 19, 2003 - 08:42 pm: Edit

Same situation here! Except my improvement was even more!

I had a 1090 in my december SAT. This may I scored a 1300!!!

Dec: 490 V, 600 M
May: 590 V, 710 M

I'll be studying during the summer...

By Virgo007 (Virgo007) on Monday, May 19, 2003 - 08:44 pm: Edit

You can do what Incognito suggests and buy some old '10 Real SAT' books. But uh see for me, I take this SAT tutoring class where this guy literally has thousands of tests administered by the ETS. I practice from the stuff he gives me. Maybe you can get other CR passages from other books such as Barrons, or Grubers.

By Guessbrunette (Guessbrunette) on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 01:17 am: Edit

M_Eduardo

that's a really nice improvement. Keep practicing verbal and you can do great. I raised my verbal up 80 points within a month by doing vocab and CR. If you can get your verbal closer to the math you'll be in the 1400 range :)

By Peach (Peach) on Wednesday, May 21, 2003 - 11:20 pm: Edit

Get PR's verbal workbook...that has some good CR practice. Also practice with real SATs, and you should definitely go up. If you see a nice increase over the summer, then plan on taking it again. If not, well, you've learned some more stuff, at least!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page