SAT Prep

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: May 2003 Archive: SAT Prep
By Future (Future) on Monday, May 19, 2003 - 01:29 am: Edit

I'm a sophomore and am taking the October Sat... Gonna prepare over the summer and am taking the Princeton Review class... Ordered Kaplan 1600 and 10 Real Sat's... I got a 1190 on the PSAT... Will this prep be enough to get 1400+??? Any other ways to prep, please suggest... Thanks...

By Future (Future) on Monday, May 19, 2003 - 07:16 pm: Edit

bump

By Future (Future) on Monday, May 19, 2003 - 09:43 pm: Edit

anyone

By Incognito (Incognito) on Monday, May 19, 2003 - 09:44 pm: Edit

vocab, practice, reading, math review, more practice, pacing, confidence, natural improvement over time, more reading, et cetera...(you'll break a 1400 if you really want to)...

By Virgo007 (Virgo007) on Monday, May 19, 2003 - 10:15 pm: Edit

There is no magic solution to prep for the SAT's in my opinion. The only way to see results is to be dedicated in your studying. The most effective way of studying is to take numerous practice tests (not timed) and review every question that you got wrong and make sure you understand it. Review some basic concepts of math (triangles, whatever) and read your ass off for verbal. Reading is the BEST way to ace those sentence completions. Reading also helps for CR. Learn how to do speed-reading, as well. Memorize vocabulary for analogies/sentence completions. After studying some stuff, take a lot more practice tests, but time it so you can pace yourself.The books I suggest you get are: Kaplan 1600 (which you have), 10 Real SAT's, and Gruber's. (You can also pick up Barron's while you're at it).

BTW- Does anyone know where I can get a copy of the "10 REAL SAT's" Third Edition?

By O71394658 (O71394658) on Monday, May 19, 2003 - 10:27 pm: Edit

Studying for the SATs is relatively easy. Get Barron's and take the practice tests. Take all the tests in that "10 Real SATs" book you have. Practice is the best way to prepare. Especially if they explain the correct answer and how to get it. But, some review books are harder than others. Kaplans has generally good review tests, along the lines of the SATs, while Barrons tends to have more difficult practice tests...

By Incognito (Incognito) on Monday, May 19, 2003 - 11:14 pm: Edit

Virgo007, you can order it from the college board online if you like.

http://store.collegeboard.com/product_detail.asp?item=006860

By Xiggi (Xiggi) on Monday, May 19, 2003 - 11:24 pm: Edit

Very well said, Virgo.

The only thing I would add is to use websites like Study Hall to help understanding anwers that may see unclear...or post the questions on the board.

Regarding the 3d Edition, the reprinted versions should start showing up and one of the cheapest sources is WalMart. However, if you order from College Board, it will come in a nice package cardboard box. :) They ship fast as well.

By Future (Future) on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 12:13 am: Edit

I ordered the third version from Barnes and Noble...

By Future (Future) on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 07:09 pm: Edit

bump

By Virgo007 (Virgo007) on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 10:34 pm: Edit

Thanks, Incognito.

I'm a bit hesitant in ordering the book, because the test is in June and it's a bit late anyway. And I also don't want to get jipped by getting the same 8 SAT Tests from the last edition and getting only two new ones.

By Incognito (Incognito) on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 10:36 pm: Edit

Yeah, I actually heard that there were only two or so new ones. I remember it said something like that on the cover. Take a look at the book on the site and you'll see.

By Sopranosmom (Sopranosmom) on Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 08:24 pm: Edit

To all you people out there who want to find SAT prep books at a decent price -- try half.com first (sometimes even Ebay has them, too!) -- if no luck, go to http://www.campusi.com/bookFind/default.asp?srcId=11000 to find the cheapest location. Good luck!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page