SAT II Chemistry

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: May 2003 Archive: SAT II Chemistry
By Westcoastkid (Westcoastkid) on Sunday, May 18, 2003 - 11:31 pm: Edit

For those of you that have taken it,

Is there any:
Qualitative analysis?
crap about colors (of ions, metals, compounds, etc)?

And would you say getting an 800 is harder for Chemistry than other subjects?

By Me1 (Me1) on Monday, May 19, 2003 - 12:00 am: Edit

I got a 730 on it. I think it's pretty difficult to get an 800 on it as opposed to math or writing, but that if you're in AP Chem. or good @ chem & prepping on your own, it shouldn't be too difficult to get in the 700s. There was I believe 1 ? about colors on the May test when I took it. Is a qualitative analysis when they ask u what a compound/atom/whatever would be used for or about it's qualities? Yea, there are some of those if that's what it is (unfortunately since that was the one area of the exam we didn't really cover in ap chem). Good luck~

By Madrigal (Madrigal) on Monday, May 19, 2003 - 05:23 pm: Edit

What is the scale like on the Chem SAT II?

By Student108 (Student108) on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 03:57 pm: Edit

how about if your taking Chem SATII after taking just regular chem in class and got a high grade on ur regents.....is it possible to do well on the SATII.....and is it a good idea to take the SATII later on.....bcuz i only have 2 weeks to study..should i wait?.....plz this is urgent

By Student108 (Student108) on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 03:57 pm: Edit

how about if your taking Chem SATII after taking just regular chem in class and got a high grade on ur regents.....is it possible to do well on the SATII.....and is it a good idea to take the SATII later on.....bcuz i only have 2 weeks to study..should i wait?.....plz this is urgent

By Nifty101 (Nifty101) on Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 09:29 pm: Edit

anyone know if the kaplan practice tests mirror real sat ii chem ?s in terms of difficulty? and barrons/ PR?

oh, for the may chem test, does anyone know how many you can get wrong & still get an 800?

By Apguy (Apguy) on Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 09:51 pm: Edit

>>how about if your taking Chem SATII after taking just regular chem in class and got a high grade on ur regents.....is it possible to do well on the SATII.....and is it a good idea to take the SATII later on.....bcuz i only have 2 weeks to study..should i wait?.....plz this is urgent <<

The NY regents, eh? No, that will NOT prepare you for the SAT II. Even if you do good on the regents, the regents is at a very low level in terms of difficulty. Take AP or honors, a regents-prep class will not suffice.

By Mikus (Mikus) on Saturday, May 24, 2003 - 01:35 pm: Edit

Yes, there are color questions on the test.

Obnoxious, but they're on there. At least on mine.

By Almostdone (Almostdone) on Saturday, May 24, 2003 - 01:57 pm: Edit

colors? there are a few. basically just remember that transition metals have color and that should be enuf. maybe ONE on the color of copper solution ( blue, i think?) or iodine (purple?) - ah i forget i took the may one and then promptly deleted all chem information from my brain. thats why i dont even remember what qualitative analysis is, exactly. XP
anyhow, i agree with the others, regents chem is definitely not enough. i took reg last yr and AP this yr and the SAT II was almost as hard as the AP (but then again, i found the AP chem to be pretty easy...soo..)
the best practice is probably the "real SAT II's" book, and i read in one review book that in general u can get 7~8 wrong and still get 800, 15 wrong and a 760. not bad, eh? as for the may chem, i dunno the curve for that. scores coming out on the 27th ! eek!

By Ndhawk (Ndhawk) on Saturday, May 24, 2003 - 02:05 pm: Edit

I got 750 and I didn't feel like I did that well, I am expecting a 5 easily on ap chem though.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page