Ahh--how could this happen?!?!?my grades & SAT scores..

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: May 2003 Archive: Ahh--how could this happen?!?!?my grades & SAT scores..
By Kittycat (Kittycat) on Sunday, May 18, 2003 - 02:33 pm: Edit

Ok, unlike most you freaks (haha just kidding) who post on this forum, I am not a perfect straight-A students with hundreds of EC's and hours of volunteering, nor do I have stellar SAT scores (..yet. I plan to re-take them again next October, my final chance!). LIKE most of you, however, I am concerned about college admissions and the SAT's and the like, and I do visit this forum quite often - I only took the initiative now to actually post. I'm a junior in high school, like most of you. Well, just thought I would give you all a friendly little introduction before proceeding with my related question(s). Anyway, please DO NOT critisize my stats, i understand they are considerably lower than all yours, so please don't remind me of that fact.
MY STATS:
after the completion of 9th and 10th grades, my transcript shows that my cumulative Gpa at that time was a 93.9%. this year, in 11th grade, i completely screwed up. I know they say 11th grade is your most important year. does mean that i am basically screwed even though I did very well in previous years? I've been taking honors classes in 9th and 10th grade but only this year did I take 2 AP courses- US history (my teacher is the most impossible one out of all) and AP english. The first mp this year i got an 87% gpa, the 2nd mp i got a 91.35%, and the 3rd mp i got my worst yet- 83% gpa (these are all including weights, and my school only uses percentages). I dont know my 4th mp gpa yet, and also i have yet to take final exams which may have an impact (pos or neg) on my cumulative gpa. Realistically my cum. gpa will go down to 90 or something unless my grades are great this mp and on final exams (i've improved a few subjects, but still struggling with C's in Advanced Trig and my Honors Civics Class and possibly Spanish). My first SAT score in April, without studying, i got 660 Verbal and 530 Math. i took them again in May but i only had time to study Math since i was very busy in April. My math went up to 560 and my verbal went down 100 pts - to 560!! I was so shocked, it was probably because i was very stressed and focused on math more, and i just had a bad day. i plan to study all summer so i can get betwen 1300-1400 on the October SAT. my highest combined score so far is 1220. Considering i didnt study much previously, i think i may improve. But my concern is with my grades-what will colleges think of a downward trend in grades? Does that mean someone who did worse than me in 9th and 10th grades, with easier classes, but did better than me in 11th grade will be viewed more favorably? I had a very challenging coarseload this year, the problem is my gpa for each marking period was only 80-something and my final grade in AP US may only be a mid-C (76, unweighted) depending on what i get on the final. I am so stressed out and discouraged. I am interested in very good schools (Oberlin, Colgate, UPenn, etc.) but i feel that i may have no chance. What to do?!??! Is there anything i should do in the summer or senior year?BTW, i took the AP Lang/Comp and AP US exams and i thought i at least got 3's on them. i am taking SAT II's this June as well. My problem is that i procrastinate way too much and although I am intelligent, i am not as driven as all you people. I admit i dont study as much as i should, and i regret that.

By Lateralus (Lateralus) on Sunday, May 18, 2003 - 02:50 pm: Edit

oook.

By Morgantruce (Morgantruce) on Sunday, May 18, 2003 - 03:46 pm: Edit

Your situation is not dire. Keep investigating different colleges. Look for ones that really seem like a good match for YOU. Pick a couple of reaches, a couple probables, and a safety or two. Make SURE that EVERY one of them are schools that you would really like to attend. It's real easy to fall into the trap of thinking that you'd like to attend a college because it has a high ranking. If you really investigate the features of colleges, you will find that there are just a few from each tier that you would be happy at. Find them.

While there is no way you can improve the grades you have already received, you can take a lot of time this summer to write several excellent essays and proofread them. You can personalize your applications with cover letters that highlight your strong points and growing maturity.

There are many students with far worse stats that have great college experiences and careers... and there are plenty of students with way better stats that have miserable college experiences and go nowhere. Choose wisely and keep a good attitude.

By Andymcgav (Andymcgav) on Sunday, May 18, 2003 - 04:47 pm: Edit

Raise your SAT scores if you can. Your grades aren't that bad. I know people with C averages at my school who got into Brown....well....they were like top athletes, but that's against the point. Good Luck.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page