Debate on Pros and cons of Standardized Testing...help pleas

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: May 2003 Archive: Debate on Pros and cons of Standardized Testing...help pleas
By Bart_Simpson22 (Bart_Simpson22) on Sunday, May 18, 2003 - 01:50 pm: Edit

I guess this is one of the best places to ask. I am working on compiling my argument for the pro side. Any suggestions?

By Webhappy2 (Webhappy2) on Sunday, May 18, 2003 - 02:03 pm: Edit

So that there's a benchmark so that your 'A' from super-hard school means more than someone else's 'A' from easy-cheasy school.

Also an alternative path to encouraging even more grade grubbing for higher GPA. Not to mention that some schools drop -/+'s and some don't. Some weigh honors and others only AP's. Etc, etc.

Basically, the key word is standardized.

By Bart_Simpson22 (Bart_Simpson22) on Sunday, May 18, 2003 - 05:57 pm: Edit

any more points to stress guys?

By Jwood (Jwood) on Sunday, May 18, 2003 - 06:12 pm: Edit

Just that everyone on this board would laugh at my 4.0 if they knew how I got it. No AP's, no honors. Hardly any homework. Does anyone else have something called "finals exemption"? Easy classes. 7-10% of the graduating class is a valedictorian.

Without standardized tests, there would be no standard. Schools like mine degrade the meaning of education and cheapen the ideals which schools [should] represent.

By Studiousvegetar (Studiousvegetar) on Wednesday, May 21, 2003 - 09:52 pm: Edit

Some people can afford expensive prep. (such as PR), while others can't. I guess there is some inflation in terms of test scores. Some people would have higher scores if they could afford it. I think GPA represents work ethic.

By Ziplocky (Ziplocky) on Wednesday, May 21, 2003 - 10:12 pm: Edit

Pros- Read Collegeboard.com because they'll tell you how frikkin great the SAT is since they're making so much money off of it.

Cons- Check out fairtest.org for some interesting studies.

Personally, I think tests such as the SAT II's are very indicative to your successes in each particular subject you take them in. The SAT's however, are an out-of-date, oppressive test that the college board even admits pretty much guages nothing except how much money you can put into studying for it...(hence, they sell so many books online.)

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page