Ti83plus versus ti89 in math 2C

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: May 2003 Archive: Ti83plus versus ti89 in math 2C
By Mitwannabe (Mitwannabe) on Saturday, May 17, 2003 - 09:15 pm: Edit

i know the ti89 is more versatile and it seems that many ppl are using it for the sat math 2c, but i was wondering if using an 89 gives me any advantage over an 83 plus, b/c i was encouraged at my school to get an 83plus because that's the standard one everyone uses, some have 89's, but not many, so can i still write the math 2c and expect to get an 800 with an 83plus (considering i'll study my ass off of course, but i mean from an electronic function standpoint)

By Ndhawk (Ndhawk) on Saturday, May 17, 2003 - 10:52 pm: Edit

the 89 did around 75 percent of the work for me on the math IIc, I mean I could probably do most of the stuff with the 83 and by hand, but why would i want to, I would also waste alot of time doing that, get an 89, when you take calculus you'll need one then anyways

By Testtaker (Testtaker) on Saturday, May 17, 2003 - 11:10 pm: Edit

Ndhawk, can you please elaborate on what exactly the 89 helped you with. I have one and I would like to learn to use it very well for my SAT II- can you tell me what features to concentrate on. Also, do you know any programs useful for the SAT II?

By Serene (Serene) on Sunday, May 18, 2003 - 03:07 am: Edit

the solver and the matrix for me.

the ti89 interface is a lot more user-friendly than 83 i think... and the solver's more accurate and takes a lot less time. like ti83 you need to have the guess and sometimes the root that comes up isn't the one you want, whereas w/ ti89 it gives you all answers.

oh, and ti89 gives you exact answers if you want (like 4/7 instead of .57142...) which is VERY useful if you're dealing w/ fractions etc.

By Mitwannabe (Mitwannabe) on Sunday, May 18, 2003 - 06:27 pm: Edit

interesting, i know with 83plus you can get a matrix solver as a program, but this other solver thing, is that for equations, like solve for one variable or what??

By Dschnapps (Dschnapps) on Sunday, May 18, 2003 - 07:14 pm: Edit

The solve function is excellent and very important for calculus. You can do hand work to get an equation. (like 2x=6.) With TI-89 (im not sure about 83-plus) you press algebra, solve, then type in the equation, write: (equation), dx press enter and it solves for x!

By Ndhawk (Ndhawk) on Monday, May 19, 2003 - 05:03 pm: Edit

know how to do everything trig-related, if i remember correctly there are alot of inverse sine and inverse cosine equations you have to solve, lots of times you'll need to be able to manipulate the equation so it will work in the solver, i dont know how to do matrices, I got an 800 on math IIc, also graphing lots of stuff helps, and if it asks about polars or something, just switch to polar mode and graph it, and go from there, know how to do logarithms, and know the change of base theorem, you might also want to store some of the formulas for geometric and arithmetic infinite and finite series and sequences, oh yea learn how to do summations in your calculator, i dont know if its possible to do limits on the 89? but if possible that would be helpful to you as well, save stuff like the law of sines and law of cosines in your calc as well if you dont know them, use the calc to factor if needed, and if it gives you any expression with a bunch of x's and y's, they do this alot, then just type it all in and hit enter, and the calc will simplify it to one of the answer choices for you

By Testtaker (Testtaker) on Monday, May 19, 2003 - 05:12 pm: Edit

what on earth is a summation??

By Dschnapps (Dschnapps) on Monday, May 19, 2003 - 08:00 pm: Edit

a summation is when you add up several areas using: height times change in x. When change of x approaches zero, the area gets even more exact and you have a definite integral (calculus)

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page